Pre-prepped foods

Okay, so this may be old news to some of you, but for me it was a revolution!

I used my food processor to shred 3 or 4 sweet potatoes and then stored them in the fridge for instant access hash browns. Then I got to thinking - pre-shredded cauliflower rice...?

What are some (uncooked) pre-prepped foods you keep in your kitchen for insta-meals?

I wash and cut up kale, lettuce (basically all leafy greens). bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, carrot, etc..

I didn't even think about doing this with sweet potato. That's a lifesaver right there. Do you store it in cold water? I know my mom does that with white potatoes and didn't know if that's something you have to do with sweet potatoes.

I bought some "green bags" produce bags a long time ago and they really do seem to keep stuff fresher longer. I try to wash any greens the day I buy them and put them in the green bags so I can use them right out of the fridge. I also trim and wash leeks and asparagus the day I buy them. The leeks I just put in a lidded container, the asparagus I put in a green bag. I have shredded carrots in advance. I keep cut cucumber in water so it doesn't dry out. I also chop and freeze onions in a jar so I can just scoop some out for sauteeing. Every SECOND I can save helps. Sliced peppers and plantains freeze well too.

I experimented with parbaking sweet potato fries. That does NOT work.

Archived