Hi! I notice an oil residue floating on top of the water after having a bowel movement. I'm consuming some coconut oil, tad of clarified butter or nut butter/raw nuts some throughout the day. Could this residue be a sign of too much fat in diet or that my body isn't digesting the fats well? I'm also dealing with some gas...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! Natalie

• Moderators

My bowel movements vary from time to time. I think it is normal. Sometimes it seems kind of oily. Other times, not at all. I don't think you should try to diagnose a condition only on the basis of your bowel movement.

You may have trouble digesting fats, especially if eating fat is new for you. A good experiment is to take Now Foods Super Enzymes for a while to see if your situation improves. It won't hurt and it might help you improve your digestion of fat and protein.

Actually some medical conditions can be diagnosed using stool as one of the criteria, so changes in BM should be investigated if persistent. Oily stools is called steatorrhea. Another symptom worht follow up is change in color (red or clay colored). If this oiliness is only on occasion it is probably not cause for concern, but...persistence warrants a consult.

• 2 months later...

I do not oily bowel movements but a little bit clay colored/reddish and very soft to diarrea. I have had it pretty much off and on since around day 15 and I am now on day 27. I am not sure what is up with that and also thinking about reintroduction soon. If I don't get normal again I don't know if I can start to reintroduce. Any suggestions? I do eat nuts everyday and red bell peppers that I heard might be sketchy.

Eliza - what you eat can affect the color of your stools. For example, my 3 year old ate a lot of beets at her Grandma's house and gave my the fright of my life! If you eat sweet potatoes, carrots, red bell peppers frequently, you could be experiencing that. If you are not having any pain or other symptoms, I'd try cutting out orange or red foods for a day or two and see if that changes things. Make sure you're getting some green veggies in, make sure you're getting enough protein and maybe cut back on the fat a tiny bit if you're having frequency issues (diarrhea).

Archived