Day 1

Kristin Murphy

I'm so excited to start today. I've been suffering from anxiety for about a year and am hoping a cleanse of my system helps me fight this in a natural way. Currently enjoying my first cup of black coffee. My sister in law says I can add unsweetened almond milk. Is that true? I've planned my meals for the week and am headed to the store later today. Www.multiplydelicious.com had some awesome recipes. Not everything followed the diet, so I had to read really carefully. Think this week should go rather smoothly as long as I stick to the plan. Anyone have any ideas for quick breakfasts? I don't have time to make eggs on weekday mornings.

This is from one of the moderators (Tom) last November on the same question:

"... no one has ever seen commercially available almond milk that did not have nasty ingredients that make it a no-no during a Whole30 (and a bad idea generally). You basically need to make your own almond milk."

One common baddie in almond milk is carrageenan, but it can contain all kinds of weird stuff. I switched to herbal tea (Egyptian Licorice Spice, yummy) bc I didn't want my coffee black and am not a fan of coconut milk in coffee. I still plan to try ghee in my coffee, but haven't yet.

Quick breakfasts: make a bunch of mini egg muffins (mostly eggs/spinach in muffin tins) on the weekend to grab, zap and go. There are lots of recipes posted in the forum and Internet for these. Or hard boiled eggs, fresh veggies to crunch on. and a handful of olives or some nuts. Or leftovers from last night's dinner.

When I did my first W30 last summer I also felt I didn't have enough time to make breakfast on weekdays. But It turns out that making a quick egg, spinach and onion scramble topped with half an avocado takes like 5 minutes, maybe less. I get up 15-20 minutes earlier than before (which has become easier bc my sleep quality has improved), and have fresh hot breakfast every day. And I use the same nonstick skillet each morning, which cleans up with just a quick rinse and wipe (either before I leave for work, or first thing when I get home).

Update -- ghee in coffee this morning was a success! So good I will need to be careful or I might go through a whole jar of ghee in one day! haha! I just whirred a cup of hot coffee and a tablespoon of ghee in my small countertop blender thing (came with my immersion blender). Deliciousness! I don't know why I was so reluctant to give this a try.

dd48a600632811e292fc22000a1f9806_6.jpg

Archived