Started Whole30 on 1/17/13 - long introduction!

Martha

Hi! My name is Martha and I just discovered this forum - I can tell it's going to be great for chatting and searching for stuff that I'm sure many others have asked before I came along.

I started the Whole30 because my personal trainer cannot stop talking about the benefits of a Paleo diet. For months I've resisted (I don't eat wheat, dairy, sugar or processed foods as a rule, but couldn't imagine giving up all grains AND alcohol...).

Anyhow I'm about to turn 50; my parents both died too young; I know inflamation is at the core of so many diseases; and I said, what the heck. I can do this for 30 days and see what happens. BTW I am not overweight and my trainer just calculated my body fat yesterday and it's around 18% - so I'm in pretty good shape externally - which is causing a bit of a problem at home because the rest of my family is like, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR?

I'm on Day 4 and so far so good. My hard time seems to be every day (so far) between about 4 - 6 pm. I used to have a glass (or two) of wine and a bowl (or two) of tortilla chips or Mary's Gone Crackers while I patted myself on the back for doing so much all day (work, family, pets, etc.) and made a delicious dinner for my family.

So I've found some ginger-lemon peel seltzer that's pretty good to sip and I have a handful of salted nuts and try to distract myself so I'm not having a pity party at cocktail hour. By the time I make and serve dinner, I'm over it.

I feel like I'm eating a lot, but I am hungry quite a bit between meals. I guess portions need to be bigger.

My sleep is still not good; I've always been a light sleeper and still find myself awake several times during the night. Can't wait for that to improve!

Book is on order from Amazon and should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the blog, this site, and the "Well Fed" cookbook. Thanks for letting me ramble!!

Yes, you sure can do it! Your remark about sleeping really hit home for me. My sleeping got so much better during my Whole 30, and my whole mental outlook changed for the better.

Best of success to you, and keep us posted.

I'm on day 14 of my W30#2, and have suffered from insomnia for several years (I fall to sleep fine, but wake up around 3am and have trouble getting back to sleep). On the night of day 12, I had a 100% sleep quality (according to an iPhone app I use), when over the last few months my quality has been more in the 60-80% range. I remember from my first W30 (last summer) that my favorite benefit was sleeping straight through the night, almost every night, once the sleep thing kicked in after a week or two -- I was shocked, and super excited about that! It was one of the primary reasons (other than energy, weight loss, and back pain) that I was doing the W30. I really hope this does the same for you!

Thanks for your support. Ann, nice to hear you say it was a week or two before the better sleep kicked in - I will keep that in mind as I'm still waiting for that benefit! Can't wait for the book to arrive tomorrow so I can get more motivated and learn more about the science etc.

Archived