Broken leg/Calcium concerns and Whole 30

I'd sure like to do something close to a Whole 30 while I'm recovering for the next 5 weeks with a major ankle fracture, but I am concerned about calcium absorption and intake. I'm a little afraid to exclude milk completely. I have 5 weeks in a cast then 3 more weeks with a boot, and months of physical therapy.... You should see all the pins in my leg. {sigh}

Unfortunately it will be very hard to stick to a real Whole 30 anyway since I have little control over my food prep while I'm living with my Dad during recovery, so there's that too. But I'm going to try to get close. Maybe more just paleo as opposed to a real clean Whole 30...

I would like any tips if people have them, though.

I hate to discourage anyone, but, personally, I'd probably do paleo for now, and then do a Whole 30 when you're up and around. I wouldn't be too worried about the calcium issue (there's all kinds of reasons people don't get all the calcium from milk, anyhow), but not being able to control your food prep would make things really difficult.

Mingo, I broke my tib and fib a year ago last sept. 4 pins and a metal rod. No weight bearing for 6 weeks. I was eating paleo and pretty much whole 30 style because I had just done my first W30 the month before. Luckily, I had a ton of food in my fridge and freezer. I had to use a walker in my house and couldn't drive so I depended heavily on my neighbors and daughter to grocery shop for me. I stuck with my usual foods. Lots of eggs and whole chickens and easy ground beef recipes. It wasn't easy and I had a boot immediately after surgery so was at least able to balance gently on the boot while cooking. I also bought a stool for the kitchen to sit on while chopping and doing dishes. You will just do the best you can. There are many ways to get calcium. Kale and sardines are just two. Good luck and heal fast. :)

• Moderators

Milk is not your best source of calcium. The reason you think that is because the Milk Council spent a lot of money on TV advertising to make that claim. There is no kale council to make the claim on behalf of dark, leafy greens.

Milk is not your best source of calcium. The reason you think that is because the Milk Council spent a lot of money on TV advertising to make that claim. There is no kale council to make the claim on behalf of dark, leafy greens.

LOL..Got kale. :0)

Archived