Anxiety & post natal depression

I have been on medication for PND for roughly 11months and since following W30 I feel really good with regard to PND. My only concern is that my anxiety levels (you know the whole knot in your tummy, feeling like you're going to explode kind of feeling) seem to have sky-rocketted. I am sleeping really really well and to excess really.

Does anyone have any clue on how to get my anxiety levels under control using diet instead of meds?

If you haven't already, cut out caffeine. I still have occasional anxiety attacks, but caffeine is a clear and obvious trigger for me. I love coffee, so I drink decaf, and I stick to herbal tea.

I think the Whole 30 in total is good for anxiety, because it keeps energy levels more even, which definitely makes a difference.

I also (not diet related) spent a lot of time making lists. During the work week, I make a to-do list in the morning, and then at night I make a list of things that went well, things I should do the next day. the to-do lists help a lot, because they externalize a lot of the things I'm worrying about -- like, I'm worried I'll forget something, so now I have a system where I won't have ot think about that at all.

There are lots of books about managing anxiety, too. I can't recommend any specifics, but I just wanted to indicate there are definitely a lot of resources available.

I agree with cutting caffeine out, if you take that.

You may try meditation, yoga, or even just making sure you have blocked off personal time each week to help manage your anxiety. Sometimes it takes more than a diet change to help those kind of issues, and I think it is especially important that you make time for yourself when you have a little one.

I also deal with (diagnosed and managed with medication) depression and anxiety. I noticed the same thing you have with regard to the anxiety, and I echo what those above have said about reducing or eliminating caffeine if you haven't already - that has really helped me.

I'm not sure where you are in your whole30 but I also wanted to mention that my anxiety seemed to peak around days 12-15 and since then has dropped off considerably to pre-whole30 levels. My take on it is that the increased energy I started to experience around week 2 partially manifested in a jumpy, jittery, anxious type of energy until my body (and brain) adjusted. So you may find that the anxiety will naturally level off as your body gets used to having more energy.

• 2 weeks later...

Get your blood tested to check all your vitamin/mineral levels. Excess sleep is a symptom to get checked out and so is a sudden rise in anxiety. Omega 3 is helpful with anxiety (and the brain in general), as are foods high in serotonin and exercise is a must for every day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/serotonin-boosters/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-brain-foods/

Archived