So, how DO I release excess weight?

I know the Whole30 isn't about weight release, and I have resisted weighing myself. However, I am around 50lbs. overweight, and I NEED to let it go. My back is giving me problems, I feel big and lumbering (and un-sexy), my clothes don't fit.

Over and over I see and read that weight loss isn't the goal.

I'm committed to a Whole 100. Today is day 21. I've been following the meal guidelines as far as portions. But, my clothes fit exactly the same, and I don't feel much better than when I started. Granted, by diet was moderately clean to start with...but I was hoping for a little of the magic.

I realize that my history of obesity - interspersed with some periods of normal weight - might mean I need the entire 100 days to see a difference. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is any SAFE and COMPLIANT way to create a deficit to release excess weight.

I'm 50, menopausal, on bio-identical hrt but no other meds. I take fish oil, vit D3 and vit C.

Thanks for helping!

being on HRT may be part of the problem, tbh. How's your thyroid? Especially where hormones are concerned, sometimes it's not as simple as "eat better." There are other factors at play.

How's your activity level?

I'd keep on truckin', consider the activity level, and then if things still aren't going in the right direction after 45-60 days or so (that's a totally arbitrary number, btw. nothing magical about the range), maybe consider checking in with the consulting team and/or a naturopath to talk about what else you've got going on?

Thanks so much for the reply!! Late summer I put on 20lbs. in about 6 weeks, and my hot flashes suddenly returned (I started having them 2 1/2 years ago and my gyno put me on a combination of non-soy herbal supplements which worked for a while). That's when I went for the bhrt. I thought it would HELP weight release!!

Thyroid is fine, been checked (full work-up) w/in the last year. Activity is spotty, I've slacked the last couple of months, but my normal is about 3-4 days a week, cardio movement and weights (fairly heavy, Chalean Extreme style).

I guess I was hoping for *something* by now, but I'll just stick it out to day 100 and re-evaluate.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing, I recently developed sciatica, and the chiro has said no lifting. Guess what the only thing I want to do is? LOL!! I'm looking forward to getting back into exercise as soon as I can!

But, to go along with my original post, it's just continuing to be hard for me. I'm now on day 34, and it's so hard to read success stories from "normal weight" folks who have lost 8-10-12 lbs. in a Whole30. To be honest, I'm feeling a little helpless. Between my lack of weight release, this unrelenting loose bm thing, and the sciatica, I just want to bury myself in a block of cheese.

Here's what I do:

Limit or eliminate fruits and nuts for the duration

Eat starchy carbs only in the 20 min period following an intense workout

HIIT ( high intensity interval training ) rather than strait cardio ( can be done on any apparatus, run,bike,row,body weight such as burpees, squat thrust with a ball, step ups,etc) as long as you warm up for five to ten min and get your heart rate to 70%.... Then go all out for 30 seconds to a min..... Active recovery to bring your heart rate below 70% for 30 secs ... Repeat for 8-12 reps and ten min progressive cool down..... Done! 24-36 min and done!

I'm male but am on HRT because my testosterone is 0 and my estrogen goes way high..... It really makes me pack on the pounds if not careful.

Feeling good and being healthy is primary... Do what you can, but just feel good first....

Funny thing, I recently developed sciatica, and the chiro has said no lifting. Guess what the only thing I want to do is? LOL!! I'm looking forward to getting back into exercise as soon as I can!

But, to go along with my original post, it's just continuing to be hard for me. I'm now on day 34, and it's so hard to read success stories from "normal weight" folks who have lost 8-10-12 lbs. in a Whole30. To be honest, I'm feeling a little helpless. Between my lack of weight release, this unrelenting loose bm thing, and the sciatica, I just want to bury myself in a block of cheese.

Thank you for saying this. I feel like I hear all these normal weight people droppings pounds in 30 days or photos of flat stomached people who transform to a more defined flat stomach. I lost 3 lbs. on Whole30 and don't fit any of the things in their " 6 reasons why Whole30 didn't work for you" post on the blog. I was so compliant, thought I had slayed the sugar dragon but one day off whole30 and I can't stop eating dried fruit. I think there must be some issues for those of us with maybe hormonal issues that need more assistance to release weight, but where do we find that?

I know many people cut sweet potatoes and fruits but I get extreme stomach pain without some starchy carbs each day and during my period I am not functional without them. Like dizzy, disoriented, agitated, and falling asleep and Melissa recommends for issues like that to have a bit of sweet potato.

I am so glad Whole30 works for so many people, (it helped me a lot just not in the weight loss area) I just don't know how to figure out how to tweak it if you have other issues going on.

Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel less alone. Keep us posted if something works for you!

Hey there, I'm in a similar boat to you with a lot of weight to lose. Not sure how much as I haven't weighed myself in a year or so but I would say 40 to 50 kilos. Hurts to say that.

I've been on the Whole 30 for 29 days today and had felt (by the fit of my clothes) like I had lost some weight until this week when I feel like my work pants are tighter. Not sure what is going on there but it might be hormonal (it's that time of the month - sorry to the guys out there who might feel its too much info).

The program makes sense to me though and I am going to give it a red hot go and trust the process that my body needs longer to adjust due to my dieting and weight loss history. I have briefly thought about tweaking my food intake to less food or lower proportions of carbs and fats but have decided that that is unlikely to be the answer to weight loss. At least not at this stage. As I've seen on a few posts in the Forum, more food seems to be better than less. I'm looking at this as a long term lifestyle change not just a diet and under eating doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyway, not sure if this helps, but as you mentioned above it is good to know that you aren't alone.

For me I am at Day 29 and planned to do 60 days but ate an entree at lunch today that wasn't compliant so need to do a restart. Not sure if I will do the 60 days compliant that I had originally planned. I'll check out my diary first as to whether that is feasible or if going for 30 is best.

Keep at it. While I can't say I have had the result you are after I really do believe this program a bit of a winner.

Oh, I should mentioned that I also have had ongoing issues in the BM area. I've also been taking some digestive enzymes as I was feeling pretty uncomfortable after meals, this has helped a lot. For me (at this stage) I am thinking that the ongoing BM issues are just a sign my body is still adjusting. So I'll keep doing what is good for it until it sorts it self out.

I totally understand the desire to see the big scale drop. If you've done your 30, 60, whatever days and still don't feel you're seeing the progress you want then perhaps you should look in to speaking with one of the Whole 9 consultants. After an extensive intake interview they will design a plan individualized for you and your goals..it may not be "Whole30" but it will be specifically designed to meet your goals. Just a thought...

Just a thought - if your thyroid is making you hold onto the weight, you shouldn't drop your fat intake! The adrenal system needs fat, and without it, makes you hold weight. I'm 100% serious...think about everyone you know with a thyroid problem - they're probably eating all kinds of low fat foods all the time to try to drop the weight. It might not have been the initial reason the thyroid stopped working right, but it definitely won't help it to start working again!

Archived