BCAA?

DNONeill812

I use Modern BCAA and it contains Sucralose as the last ingredient, so I have assumed my W30 isnt "perfect" . If you're using Poliquin's BCAA Excellence brand, it looks like you might be ok. (Other Ingredients: Gelatin capsule.??)

I just didn't want to switch before I finished what I had.

In the blog post Supplements Part II: What's in Your Cabinet - Dallas and Melissa use two categories of supplements: things to take most days, and things to take intermittently, depending on certain situations. BCAA are falls into the latter category. M&D, only suggest (if at all) taking BCAA for an intermittent period. Not every day. So the big question is why are you taking BCAA? And what are you trying to achieve?

For using BCAA I would set a specific time period that you plan to use it...i.e. a 6 week strength cycle. During that time, take note of your progress and how you feel. At the end of 6 weeks, evaluate the effectiveness of taking the BCAA. Was it worth the cost? Did you notice any adverse affects?

Branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) 3-5 grams before and after hard and/or long training. BCAAs tend to blunt exercise-induced catabolism (muscle breakdown).

Study of interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11985939

Example: Optimum Nutrition BCAA

@Moderator, thanks for your response. This is actually the first bottle i've purchased of BCAA's and it's in the powder form. My plan was to take this bottle only - 3g before a heavy workout and 3g after - just until the bottle runs out. I wanted to see what effects it had on my muscle growth and recovery. I would imagine I will go through this bottle in about 6 weeks, so does that count as intermittently? I saw that M&D take it intermittently, but do they take it on the Whole30? Is it compliant?

• Moderators

BCAA seem to help me push more weight more reps without suffering extra the next day, so I take them on my heavy lifting days. The Now Sports brand I have may or may not be Whole30 compliant because it "contains milk derivative." I don't know what that means. Clarified butter contains milk derivative and is Whole30 compliant, but this milk derivative might include milk solids and that would make it non-compliant. I would skip the BCAA during a Whole30 to insure I was getting the untainted experience.

Archived