Favorite new foods since starting Whole30?

mary-t

I'm only on Day 4, but so far, I've fallen in love with:

Macadamia nuts (YUM!)

Coconut milk and other coconut products

Melissa J's Chocolate chili

I am also falling in love with feeling great, and happy that I'm feeding my body good fuel! Yay!

I'm only on Day 4, but so far, I've fallen in love with:

Macadamia nuts (YUM!)

Melissa J's Chocolate chili

I am also falling in love with feeling great, and happy that I'm feeding my body good fuel! Yay!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mackerel for breakfast. I can't get bored of it, even though I should probably change it up once in a while!

And just massive piles of veggies fried in coconut oil. :D

(you can tell I haven't got "sophisticated" whole30 recipes quite down yet haha)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on day 4, and enjoying what I'm eating.

White sweet potatoes. Bought them by accident instead of the regular orange ones and I discovered that I like them even more.

Fruit in general. I was on low carb, so I missed fruit a lot!

Larabars...I only buy them as an emergency snack. I can't keep them in the house because I'm almost positive I would eat them like dessert. But yes, I adore them.

Butternut Squash. I'd had it before, but I have realized I really like it!

• 11 months later...

Zoodles! I was always hesitant to try them because I thought they'd get all soggy and gross (like sliced zucchini gets when over-cooked) but they are so good! I even put them in home-made pho and I didn't miss the rice noodles at all! It was sooooo delicious!

• 2 weeks later...

I love zoodles!  My daughter likes them too which is great because we don't have any wheat in the house and she likes spaghetti.

Sauteed brussel sprouts with bacon bits

Sauteed kale with bacon bits and yellow raisins (add a splash of vinegar for some acid)

Acorn squash cut into strips and roasted

Mark Sisson's Coconut Beef Shanks recipe over cauliflower rice is to die for

Well Fed2 short ribs made with homemade beef broth that has been reduced so it's lip smacky good.  You'll want to roll in it.

Nom Nom Paleo has a chicken wing recipe that has some sort of green chile pesto sauce on it (my husband made it and it was great)

• 2 weeks later...

NomNomPaleo's emergency protein. Really easy, nitrate free bacon, onions, and cabbage with curry powder. Tonight I added mushrooms, ground pork, and for fun on the side some shrimp for me and my boys. It's really fast to make and super yummy. I dont always add the curry powder, just salt, pepper, and chili flakes seasons it beautifully. I love cabbage!!

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest surprise love was brussels sprouts.  I think I could eat them at every meal.  And roasted turnip/rutabaga, and parsnips.  Since doing my first and second W30, I've lengthened my favorite recipes list by a mile, but those veggies surprised me.  I also love raw beet salad (grated with either cabbage or apples or both) and made into a slaw.  Favorite recipes:  Bora Bora Fireballs, Stovetop Carnitas, Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts, Gingered Carrot Parsnip Soup, Cocoa Roasted Cauliflower, Sunshine Sauce, homemade Cranberry Breakfast Sausage, Thai Massaman Beef Curry (W30 adapted), Warm Bacon Sweet Potato Egg Salad, Sweet Potato ANYTHING!  And I have a new favorite sweet treat -  pan fried plantains in coconut oil.  OMG they are amazing.  I made them for my compliant Pastelon, and they could be a complete dessert by themselves.  So sweet! 

My local coop sells fruit-juice sweetened dried cranberries.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on day 4, and enjoying what I'm eating.

White sweet potatoes. Bought them by accident instead of the regular orange ones and I discovered that I like them even more.

Fruit in general. I was on low carb, so I missed fruit a lot!

Larabars...I only buy them as an emergency snack. I can't keep them in the house because I'm almost positive I would eat them like dessert. But yes, I adore them.

Butternut Squash. I'd had it before, but I have realized I really like it!

I have job specialization when it comes to sweet potatoes/yams. I love white sweet potatoes as fries, orange for hash, and purple roasted as is or mashed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was addicted to Nom Nom Paleo's sweet potato hash.  And Well Fed's Pad Thai.  My kids make me make a huge batch of Well Fed's Chocolate Chili weekly.

Funny about white sweet potatoes - my 6 yr son is missing cheese more than anything since we turned paleo, and he can be tricked into thinking he is eating cheese if I send cubed white sweet potatoes in his school lunch.

This was pre whole 30 but last year we got TOO MANY RADISHES in our CSA boxes and nobody wanted to eat anymore. I tossed them in olive oil and lemon and roasted them and they were incredible! They don't taste anything like the spicy, dry raw ones, they are sweet and delicious when roasted. Once I discovered that we felt like we needed more than they were giving us!

• 6 months later...

Probably the nut butters. Never knew something with just one ingredient would taste so good. Gone are the days of Peanut butter. Also I get to enjoy meals more eg pasta sauce without the pasta in it. I really taste new flavours in mince and meatballs.

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered a few things. Home made mayonnaise is awesome. This website has some great simple recipes. I always add garlic and coarse black pepper. I made a simple caponata with eggplant, red and yellow peppers, onions garlic and capers sweated in olive oil and then cooked with chopped tomatoes till the marry their tastes. Ok, I'm not good on quantities, there are hundreds of published recipes with quantities and ingredients listed, I also liked to add a handful of kalamata or other good quality olives. All use added SUGAR. I know it may seem too simple, but I finely grated a handful ( say 1/4 to 1/2 cup) of organic carrots, instant success with different recipes. Give it a try

Archived