upcoming birthday

Rowing Chick

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but using food (sugar and sweet-tasting foods) as way to celebrate and treat yourself kind of goes against the Whole30 spirit. That being said, I'm not saying you shouldn't eat anything special on your birthday. Just that celebration shouldn't mean "dessert". Like Ann said, think out of the box. Look into a delicious (Whole30 compliant) recipe that you've never tried (because it calls for ingredients you don't have/takes time/looks intimidating/is expensive to make/etc.) and cook it (or better: have someone cook for you!)

You could also serve no-sugar added Kombucha in champagne flutes (it's bubbly, and bubbles=happy)

Or you could also paleo-ize this Meat Cake!

As delicious as that raw cake looks, the use of honey makes it a no-go for the Whole30 (I'll admit that I pinned it for future reference, because it looks AH-MAY-ZING).

That cake looks _awesome_, but it's not a good idea. I wish nuts and I got along :( It's definitely "paleofying poor food choices" which is a no-go.

That being said, I agree with a lot of other folks above. I'd splurge on ingredients or experiences. Make something compliant, but decadent. Really want dessert? have some berries with coconut milk on there.

Spa day sounds amazing :)

I love the meat-cake idea, lol! It's crazy, but awesome at the same time. For the Whole30, I would suggest using your favorite Ground Meat (mine is lamb) and season the meat to taste (using whatever spice blend you love most). For the middle sections, any Whole30-approved sauce would work, maybe homemade ketchup, or even homemado mayo/ranch, whatever sort of sauce is thick and suits your taste. For the outer coating, you could use a Cauliflower-Mash recipe (basically like Well Fed's Shepherd's Pie, only in cake form) or possibly a sweet-potato mash (or using any other root vegetable).

If I were in your situation, I'd go for that (although perhaps 2 layers instead of 3, because 3 is just crazy, lol) and get really creative with it and make it suit your tastes. Even if it doesn't turn out perfect, it would still be a fun experiment! It would also be celebratory if you used a high quality ground meat (like ground lamb - delicious)!

And, there's even a Meat-Cake Gallery: http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/gallery/main.php (not Whole30, obviously, but from these pictures you may be inspired to make a Whole30 one, because you can see how they can be fun and celebratory).

Think about those ingredients you normally pass over as "too expensive", that's how people used to eat celebration food in the old days, seasonal, rare and expensive, rather than junk.

But I do agree on the non-food rewards, spa day, perfume, gym pass, workout clothes. Something either non-harmful to your health goals, or something that supports them directly :D

Happy birthday! :D

Thank you for all the great suggestions. And yes, I will be making that cake at some point.

I'm still on the fence about how I will handle tomorrow. My 10yr old son spent his afternoon making me a brownie cake all by himself. I'm committed to Whole30-ing but Mommy Land may win out on this one. Happily, the Whole30 can start on any day. I was already planning to carry it forward. Re-starting won't be a major event. Plenty of veggies in the fridge! I need to continue working on the no-snack rule anyway. I will be using these thoughts to re-direct our Valentine activities. :)

Archived