Stomach pains and bloating

Mich

Hi,

I am on Day 16 and going well except for in the last week it isn't unusual for me to feel bloated and uncomfortable after meals. I think that maybe I am eating too much and maybe need to slow down to let those messages get to my brain that I've had enough. OR, is it possible that I am eating too much salad and not enough cooked veges. I eat probably a handful or 2 of baby spinach most meals with tomato, cucumber, capsicum. I have started to branch out to other variations of salad and some cooked veges (broccoli, carrots). I eat sweet potato a couple of times a day too.

So my question is could raw veges, I'm thinking baby spinach, be causing the tummy upset?

I am slowly becoming constipated as well and have read about digestive enzymes but wanted to work on modifying my food first. One of the things I'll do to address this is up my fat intake.

M

Raw veg, yup that can cause the bloating!

I'm usually ok with spinach, but raw tomatoes cause terrible problems for me, as does broccoli, cooked or raw. If you weren't used to eating many veggies before, and have suddenly upped the intake, it could take a while for the body to get used to it. Upping the fat intake will help as well.

Thanks panda girl. Will need to do some more vege shopping but will try dropping out the raw veges and see if that works. I'll also up my fat intake - I'm a bit variable with it some meals I know I'm not having enough.

I am hoping a moderator will chime in as well :) I've just had a bowl of comfort noodles (zucchini noodles with egg) and some pulled pork and am again really uncomfortable. it wasn't a huge serve either. I did have one roast pecan .... could a nut do this??? Probably not:)

• Moderators

Pandagirl is right that raw veggies are harder to digest than cooked, so if you are having trouble, try to eat mostly cooked veggies for a while.

Depending upon your history, your body may have trouble digesting protein and fat. Most people eat more protein and fat during a Whole30, so digestion troubles invite questioning how you are doing with protein and fat. The answer is not to reduce protein and fat, but to take a digestive enzyme for a while to help your body adjust. Digestive enzymes are rarely needed permanently. They just help the transition as your body develops the gut flora that it needs.

Nuts can be hard on the gut, but one pecan should not be a problem.

Being uncomfortable after a moderate serving of pulled pork, egg, and zucchini noodles makes me think you would benefit from digestive enzymes. Lots of people use the Now Foods Super Enzymes. They won't hurt you and you won't become dependent on them. We can't be sure that is exactly what you need, but they are worth trying for a week.

The answer is not to reduce protein and fat, but to take a digestive enzyme for a while to help your body adjust.

Thanks Tom, have been taking digestive enzymes for about 3 days and it has made a huge difference, not quite right yet but so much better. Thanks again, the enzymes have been fab.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problems. I looked at my stomach and seriously thought "Am I pregnant....?" Then I remembered all the veggies I'm eating. I nearly ate an entire lb of brussel sprouts the other night.....Where do you get the digestive enzymes?

Archived