what constitutes a workout?

jlpaul88

What merits an additional pre and post WO meal? Any differentiation in pre/post nutrition if the workout is solely strength training, a mix of strength/conditioning, or purely aerobic activities? What about long Crossfit workouts vs short metcon "finishers" or <10 minutes of KB swings/snatches, etc?

1/2 serving of protein+fat before, low fat protein + starches afterwards for any or all of these activities?? MY goals are fat loss but strength maintenance. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

My workouts are usually 12-20 minutes of body weight HIIT or weights first thing in the morning, then I eat egg whites, sweet potatoes and greens for a post workout meal. If It's the weekend and I'm going hiking or some longer kind of exercise, I'd eat something beforehand. This is working great for me so far!

• Moderators

Shorter, less intense workouts require less nutritional support, but you might want to eat a little something pre- and post if it is convenient. If fat loss is important, you can skip carbs/starches in your post-workout meal. Your muscles need some protein, but can live without the carbs, especially if you are not doing two-per day sessions or lifting heavy two days in a row.

For leaning out. I generally try to workout in a fasted state no matter what kind of workout.

For strength training I stick to protein only for Post. If there is a metcon over 8 minutes I will start to add post workout carbs in the form of a sweet potato. I start off with a fist size portion of sweet potato and then increase from there as necessary based on how long the WOD was.

Basically I measure my intensity by my ability to talk during the workout. Strength training is taken at an easy conversational pace, so I keep it to just protein. WOD's tend to be less to no talking other than "TIME!" so in that case I add the sweet potato.

Hope that helps! Try if for 2 weeks and see how your recovery goes.

I know personally that if I don't get that protein in...I'm guaranteed to be sore the next day. Thus, I always get it in.

1/2 serving of protein+fat before, low fat protein + starches afterwards for any or all of these activities?? MY goals are fat loss but strength maintenance. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Right now I'm training strength 5x/week, a mix of heavy low volume + some farmers walks and higher reps (8-12) of some exercises mixed in with limited rest. Unless its a heavy DL day, then I'm also doing anywhere between 5-20 minutes of kb swing intervals or sprints. I think I'll try to go by the book and include a pre-WO snack of protein + fat and try limiting the carbs if its a shorter metcon day.

i was probably about 70-80% paleo before starting this W30, so I'm not getting too many "low carb flu"-like symptoms, but has anyone else experienced feeling lackluster during workouts without carbs just prior? I know that strength + conditioning isnt my main goal, but i still feel lethargic in my first few workouts so far.

I don't feel good training if I'm running low carb. I need to keep a decent amount of higher starch carbs (sweet potatoes or ripe bananas) to recover and feel decent. I haven't played much with higher carbs pre workout, like meals prior not necessarily the true pre workout meal but I do think it is what I need to do when I'm closer to goal weight since I don't feel like I'm operating at max level now.

Archived