Rescue my mayo

KJT

I tried the recipe in the Well Fed book, but it didn't work. I went back to a recipe that I had used before by Emirl Lagasse. His simple, no fail one not the more elaborate one. I am going to try my immersion blender. Has to do better than the blender that threw everything out the top while I was adding the oil.

• 1 month later...

Also, I LOVE this video. Fool proof mayo, seriously. You can't screw it up. The trick is to let all of your ingredients comes to room temperature prior to blending and use extra light tasting olive oil (or some other neutral tasting oil of your choice)

This is the method I use, but I have found that if I add the oil all at once with a low quality olive oil it doesn't want to emulsify. Makes you wonder :wacko:

I like to use Bertolli or Filippo Berio extra light tasting olive oil. I pour the oil into a measuring cup and slowly drizzle the oil into the remainder of the ingredients while running my immersion blender. Works every time.

If you end up with a broken batch of mayo, do NOT toss it! Keep your cool, start over, and use your broken mayo to slowly drizzle into your base.

• 2 years later...

Yes to the raw egg, no to the EVOO as it will make the mayo taste too heavy. Most folk use a light olive oil, but I prefer avocado, macadamia or walnut oil for a better flavour. You can add crushed garlic, crushed peppercorns, or spices to mix it up a little.

I dump all the ingredients into a glass 4 cup measure (I always make a double batch then take some to make salad dressing) and use my immersion blender - pulsing at first - and I have never had a failure. I usually use lemon juice, but I've used ACV when I was out of lemons and it still came together beautifully! Magic, I tell ya! And, oh so good! I'll never go back to store bought!

I missed the "Don't use Extra-Virgin Olive Oil" memo, and attempt #1 tasted horrid. And was very yellow. What oils do you recommend??

The favourite tends to be light tasting olive oil. Other good options are avocado oil, macadamia oil & walnut oil. some use a combination of either avocado or coconut oil & another oil from the ones I've mentioned.

You can also play around with using lemon or vinegar of which there are LOADS of different varieties, all of which mix up the taste a bit to keep things interesting.

• Moderators

I missed the "Don't use Extra-Virgin Olive Oil" memo, and attempt #1 tasted horrid. And was very yellow. What oils do you recommend??

I usually use light tasting olive oil because it's cheap and readily available at any grocery store. Others use macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, or blends of those with the light olive.

• 6 months later...

Suggestions??

I have been making delicious mayo since last May. I finally got a stick blender a couple of weeks ago and I don't know how I have been living without one!  :P

While making a batch the other night, I had my egg in my container and started pouring the oil. It looked funny so I shot up and realized I grabbed my EVOO instead of my light olive oil. Since the egg was already in there, I couldn't just pour the oil back in so I proceeded to make the mayo. Welp, just like everyone says, it tasted like thick olive oil. lol

I hate to throw stuff away so I was wondering if there is anything I can use the olive oil mayo for? Like a dressing or sauce? 

If not, I'll just begrudgingly throw it in the garbage disposal.  ;)

Thanks!!

Archived