Carrageenan Extract in Hair Care

RevKT

So, I am not sure where to post this. If it needs to be moved to a different part of the forum, please do so moderators :-)

Since reading ISWF I have also been trying to go more natural with my body care. I have tried every form of "no poo" homemade shampoo and it has been terrible. The best thing has been Terressentials but my hair is so staticky and strawlike that I can't wear it it anything but a ponytail. I have sholder blade length hair.

So, I went back to Lush to see if maybe their solid shampoo would be better than regular shampoo but I know not totally non-toxic. I saw that they have a new hairspray and thought maybe just a spray would help with the Terressentials issue. However, it has carrageenan in it and from the description below they make it sound like a nice, natural substance that we eat every day:

http://www.lushusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Lush-Site/en_US/Lushopedia-Start?iid=10574

I know we can't eat carageenan, but does anyone know if it would also be bad in a hairspray?

And also, I just feel a bit frustrated because trying to go non-toxic and natural is so darn hard. They make it sould like all of these substances are just wonderful and they are all handmade, mostly organic, and often vegan so it all sounds great but no one tells you the truth. (Well, except for Dallas and Melissa thankfully.)

On a W30? It's fine. It's out in your W30 foods because it messes with your gut (or can).

As a permanent solution to your search for a natural product? I'm not sure. it's added to food for consistency in texture and mouth feel, as well as viscosity...so i understand why it's in shampoo, but I'm not sure if there are any concerns with it.

• Moderators

They do make products sound wonderful... Advertising paints a picture that is often the opposite of reality. Because advertising generates revenue and reality doesn't, advertising frequently dominates the world... Sad.

The inflammatory effect of carageenan is not a problem on your head like it would be in your gut. I would not hesitate to wash my hair with something that included carageenan.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap. Tom's of Maine DOES have carrageenan in it. I'm really upset about this because I just bought it for the first time yesterday because it was flouride-free. I was trying to do something more healthy! I don't know why I didn't think to read the label when I'd just spent the last hour and a half reading every other single item's label that went into our shopping cart. Lesson learned.

So IS it okay to use during W30? Am I overthinking this? Can someone please let me know?

Archived