Worried about your milk supply? No need to worry - read this! (And keep going on your Whole30 now ya hear?)

Hi everyone

The milk supply issue seems to come up all the time, so I hope this helps! Apologies if something very similar has already been posted.

In terms of nutrition and wellbeing, my personal experience of doing this Whole30 is that I have never felt better, even before I had kids and was getting 8 or 9 hours solid sleep every night. I am getting much less sleep nowadays and yet feel like I have way more consistent energy because of how I am eating. So that is really saying something. Thus far my life has been changed. As I said, this is MY personal experience and I cannot speak for others or advise people about nutrition etc.

I have been eating plenty sweet potatoes, avocado, drinking to thirst, and eating four or even five meals on the days I feel I need to. This way of eating can only be a good thing for a breastfeeding mother, your own body is receiving the best nutrition, leaving you feeling good when you need to produce milk for your baby. If you feel your supply is suffering, try eating more.

However....

Breastfeeding works according to supply and demand so actually it is the following things that will help to increase your supply if you are concerned about it during your Whole30, if you are eating plenty to feel satisfied and drinking to thirst:

(This bit is fact not just personal experience)

- Feed your baby as often as he/she wants for as long as he/she wants

- Offer both breasts at each feed

- Refrain from using a pacifier or dummy for comfort, use the breast for all comfort sucking

- Do some co-sleeping for a couple of nights or take your baby to bed for a day and have a feedathon

- Express your milk after each feed (to make your body think the baby is having a longer feed, therefore more milk gets produced)

Lastly, the amount you are able to express is not always a reliable indicator of your supply, a baby is way more effective at removing milk from the breast than a pump. If pumping, remember to massage the breast before and during a pumping session to help mobilise the fat rich milk that moves slower towards the nipple and takes more effort to get out.

Hope this info helps. Don't lose faith in this wonderful way of eating.

:D

Thanks mrsmaggie for starting this post. I've really enjoyed reading your comments and you provided me with a good deal of comfort during my W30. If you lived close by I would ask you over for a cup of tea. Thank you.

I recently completed my second W30 since having my son a little over 7 months ago. During my first one my supply did drop several times. This time I did much better and wanted to share what worked for me. During the first week of my second W30 I did again notice a significant drop in milk supply. I began eating more. By the end I discovered that I need to eat a bit past fullness especially at breakfast to keep my supply up, and at least 4 times a day. I also spent 3 days pumping (after I noticed the drop in milk) for 10 minutes after my son nursed, every time he nursed. This was not easy with a 2 and 1/2 year old and 7 month old. I also decided to co-sleep with my son for a few nights in a row. Night nursing is a very good way to boost milk supply, especially if your LO would otherwise sleep through the night. I also had a bunch of skin to skin time during those few days. After those few days my supply did get back to normal and I could even pump an extra few ounces each day. Since then I still pump in the morning for 10 minutes after his first feed of the day and every night before I go to bed (just finished). I also started taking a B-Complex vitamin. I don't know if it helped with supply but most definitely helps lower my intense reaction to stress.

So, I started my whole 30 believing my body was dependent on sugar and all of his friends to be able to make enough milk for my baby. But, now I know better. I didn't necessarily feel the consistent 'magic' but there are days when I feel great. Once I start being able to sleep through the night on a regular basis than I think the magic will find me.

Ladies, I'm so proud of all of you. The world needs as many strong, healthy, energetic, magnificent women as possible.

Hey thanks so much applesauce, you are very kind, I'll have it black no milk no sugar lol.

I work as a voluntary Breastfeeding Peer Supporter with the NCT so I am very passionate about supporting other mums with breastfeeding.

It definitely is a bit challenging with an older child, and I know exactly what you mean about magic hopefully kicking in once we get a full night's sleep. I do feel a lot better than before, and even though my energy remains consistent throughout the day I still function with an ongoing level of tiredness, but then theres no getting away from the lack of sleep with a baby!

I'd say I have had a couple of days (9/10 and 16/17/18) where I have thought wow I feel amazing like a penny dropped or something.

I would also need to eat past stuffed to maintain my energy and milk so I have at least four meals now. If my little one has fed quite a bit in evening then I express milk after that, I do end up hungry again.

Today is technically the last day of my Whole30, so I feel a bit strange. I have however been overdoing it on the almond butter the past few days, and it is a psychological thing not actual hunger. I still some stuff to sort out for myself. Definitely whole 100 for me I'm thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to chime in on this post because I'm in complete agreement! I'm on day 27 of my first ever whole 30 (which was a HUGE lifestyle change from my previous eating habits) & am still breastfeeding my 6.5 month old. I scoured the internet - blogs/forums before starting the program, and spoke with my OB. I was a bit nervous that the lack of "traditional" carbs (which I was addicted to) would have a negative supply on my milk, and that I would have to cut my program short. In complete honesty, my supply did dip between days 6 - 19, fairly significantly (I pump at work & was pumping 8 ounces a day less than usual). Thankfully, I had enough freezer supply that I was able to keep going... because it was also in those days that I started feeling *great*!!! But, the main point of why I'm writing this, is because right around day 20, my supply came right back up to where it was before. I did have to add a mid-morning snack in; which boosted my afternoon pumping supply up to higher than it was before. My morning supply is still a bit lower, but it balanced out overall. So, I too just wanted to share to anyone reading & say don't give up! Even if you do dip a bit! Your body will tell you what it needs & re-regulate your supply.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To the OP: Thank you for this!! You just explained part of my bone to pick with scheduled infant feedings. Give them as much as they want, as often as they want!

And yes, The Leaky Boob is also a great resource.

You may wonder why I care, as someone who could not bf due to thyroid issues and zero supply. But I still demand-fed, because I also believe this is for the psychological well-being of my child. Meanwhile, I dream of the day when I will be healthy enough to have another baby AND a milk supply ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad someone posted about this because I'm on Day 3 of my Whole30 and the baby has been acting like she's hungry and nursing FOREVER. So maybe my supply is dropping. Since the baby is 7 months old, I can't really tell by "feel" if my supply is down as I don't feel much usually anyway.

When I was pumping at work for my 1st, drinking Mother's Milk tea and taking fenugreek pills (2 pills 3x a day) really helped keep my supply up. I haven't needed that this time since I'm not working, but may try the tea again to see if I can combat the drop from the new diet (if that's what's happening...)

Another option is to also add a pumping session when you know your baby isn't going to eat and that'll condition your body to make more milk in general. This works well for me once we've established a routine - I still feed on demand, but now she only asks about 4x a day.

Great points!

I'll offer my limited experience and some additional considerations.

Cabbage can reduce milk supply if you consume a lot of it. (a lot being defined as enough to reduce supply. :) )

Also, some babies will seem to nurse less not bc you are making less, but bc it tastes different and they are adjusting. As long as they are still nursing and not seeming to be adversely affected, don't let it bother you. I once spent most of a day knawing on carrots bc I was on the go a lot and it was a cheap handy snack I could take with me. Ended up with orange tinted breastmilk! LOL. Baby took one "sip" and was all, "whoa.. Wasn't up with the carrot milk?". He got over it tho. And the reverse can be true too. Sometimes they will nurse a LOT more because they just love the new flavor. We tend to forget that when we are eating differently, it tastes different to baby too. Usually they adjust just like we do only quicker than we do.

Lastly, if you have a baby that seems really über hungry, it is usually not a problem of calories. It's usually a question of fats. Babies need lots and lots of fats and that is often the first thing people cut when they change their diets or go on a diet. My first reaction to a baby who is on a hungry nursing marathon is a big juicy piece of red meat and some avocado throughout the day. Most of the time it works like a charm, both for my supply and their hunger.

hth

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice on here about eating past full.  I will start trying that.  I am on day 3 of W30 and I noticed my supply yesterday was slightly less throughout the day (I pump at work) and today it's about half of what I'm normally pumping... I eat until I'm no longer hungry.  On the days that I work out, I eat more food and more frequently.  Any additional tips of getting my supply back to where it was?  I will definitely try to eat a little past full and possibly add more fat.  Any helpful ideas on fat?  Right now I am pretty much using avocado as my fat source and cooking in coconut oil...

My fav fat boost:

Mix equal parts lean sirloin ground beef with bulk chicken sausage from sprouts.

Cook like a burger patty. Fry an egg in coconut oil when patty is almost done.

Serve patty with egg and sliced avocado on top.

Mmmm.

Good advice on here about eating past full. I will start trying that. I am on day 3 of W30 and I noticed my supply yesterday was slightly less throughout the day (I pump at work) and today it's about half of what I'm normally pumping... I eat until I'm no longer hungry. On the days that I work out, I eat more food and more frequently. Any additional tips of getting my supply back to where it was? I will definitely try to eat a little past full and possibly add more fat. Any helpful ideas on fat? Right now I am pretty much using avocado as my fat source and cooking in coconut oil...

My favorite trick is sipping on a can of coconut milk throughout the day. It's liquid, quick to digest, and packs a whopping 72 grams of gorgeous fat... Perfect for BFing mamas.

I'm more than halfway through my Whole30, and Atticus has gained nearly 50% of his body weight in the last two months. (Came home at 5 lbs, today at 2 months, he's 9 lbs. 2 oz.) I'm EBF, and have not noticed any supply issues since transitioning to the Whole30. (And I was eating pretty damn close before.) It's definitely possible to maintain or increase supply on the W30!

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

Great tips! I realized tonight while baby was tugging on my breast and seeming irritated that I haven't leaked or felt my typical painful meltdown all day today. I normally spray straight through my shirt, and letdown is enough to make me wince. Baby is almost 6 weeks and I know my supply can settle out around this time, but this was pretty sudden. I think I need to add in more carbs, so I'm going to be working on that.

Just wanted to update. I was really hungry Tuesday and Wed. Tuesday I tried to limit my eating in between meals even with the hunger, but yesterday I didn't. I tried to make sure I stuck to mini meal template snacks, but I did eat. Today my supply sees better - leaking again, etc. I've overeaten and eating junk for so long, I feel guilty for eating "to much" even if its healthy, so I'm sure that was why my supply dropped a bit.

• 1 month later...

Because I'm breastfeeding I am not limiting snacks, I had a real problem with supply the first time I tried but that was lack of calories. Accidentially only eating two meals because your meals are to satiating was (in hindsight) what my problem was. My solution was to go to a looser paleo diet. That was with my oldest, Now I'm on day 9 of my Whole30 and my supply is going strong  :lol: It helps that I have a toddler that reminds me of food every hour. (He doesn't eat every hour he just WANTS to lol) I wish I had more support during my first attempt 1 1/2 years ago but my husband was majorly unsupportive and I wasn't ready.

I did my first Whole30 when my 4th baby was 5 months old. I was terrified that my supply would run low but much to my surpise it boosted and I had tons of milk.  I did make sure to eat eat eat.  I ate 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks per day.  Lots of protein and fat.  I just wished I had known about this program with my pregnancies, too.  I struggled through all four with high blood pressure and the last one I had pre-eclampsia.  With four kids I'm all done now, but I'm so happy that I have this program/lifestyle to get and stay healthy with, and to keep my kids healthy.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first W30 and I've just finished day 6! I'm nursing my 5 month old son and am concerned about my milk supply. Just in the last few days, I've noticed he is really fussy and frustrated while nursing (he's always been a mellow, happy nursing baby). The timing makes sense from what I've read.

I am really hoping to lose some weight and feel better after this W30 so am trying to follow the guidelines. I thought snacks were out!?!

Any tips for W30 approved snacks?

Also...how much fat is too much fat - for a breastfeeding mom?

Any help would be much appreciated as I want to complete this challenge, but not at the expense or health of my baby!

My supply went down for just a few days during my first whole 30,  I think days 3 to 7.  Then it was fine.    I realized after the first week that I was not eating enough at each meal.  I did not add enough fat, protein and veggies to give me the right amount of calories to provide for my baby.  I think I dropped a lot of weight that week. Once I added food to each meal, my milk come back.  I still lost weight.  14lbs.

When I snack I eat olives, grapefruit, and sometimes lara bars. 

• 4 weeks later...

I feel much better after reading this thread. My baby is only 3 months old and I was starting to feel like I was sacrificing her health for mine :( I am on day 7 now and really trying to get more calories. It's hard when the bulk of your calories used to come from grains, though. I've learned that you have to eat a lot more 'good' food to get enough calories than you would if you were eating junk. Obviously! I've read that starchy veggies like squash and sweet potatoes, and also fruit, are good to load up on for milk supply. This is terrifying me though because I went from oversupply to never feeling full or let-down or anything in the past week. I pump once a day (to donate mostly) and I've seen a huge difference in my pumping output. Combine whole 30 with a possible 3-month growth spurt and a normal leveling-out of milk around this time and I've seen a MAJOR difference. I starting having a cup of Mother's Milk tea in the evenings and pumping even after I have no milk during my pump session so hopefully I will see a difference soon. Baby girl is nursing FOREVER as opposed to her old 10-min sessions. I suppose it's good that she's not choking on my forceful let-down anymore but this is just so drastic of a change. I did have cabbage the other night b/c it's supposed to be one of the best veggies, but for some reason baby girl always seems fussy after I eat it. Now I see someone else has mentioned that it decreases supply? Too bad I bought a huge head and still have tons left.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back on here when I have an update. Hopefully things get better soon because I love this way of eating.

Well I don't know how much longer we can do this. I am drying up, my baby won't take a bottle, and I'm eating tons (sweet potatoes, squash, avocadoes, etc). Groceries aren't lasting long and we're broke right now. I feel extremely selfish continuing this diet if my baby is suffering. Plus I just realized she's been going through her own troubles with this. She didn't poop for a week, she's been fussier than usual, and she's not my usual great-sleeping baby. I think I might have to just some oatmeal since it's proven to help with supply. I see all these things that say paleo should help with supply but for me it's just not happening.. I went from oversupply and donating milk monthly to not even enough to feed my baby. I am beside myself :/ Don't really want to quit and I feel great.. but yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealymama -

I'm probably too late responding to help, but I just want to say progress, however slow or incomplete, is still progress. If you feel having a bowl of oatmeal in the morning will help your supply and make your baby happier/healthier, then I think that's what you should do. Having one bowl vs an entire diet that's not compliant is still progress I think you would benefit from. I'd also suggest some mothers teas to boost your supply and maybe a Larabar too.

I can't see signatures on mobile version of the site, so I don't know if this is your first or whatever. I do want you to know that 3 month growth spurt and fussiness is normal and may not be entirely related to your milk or supply.

I would be beside myself with a 3 month old and my milk drying up and I completely understand feeling selfish spending very limited monies on my dietary needs too.

(((Hugs)))

Archived