1/22/2013 Starters

KimberlyJ

Hello all! I introduced myself in a separate thread yesterday, but I thought it would be cleaner to start a fresh thread with better Topic Title.

This is day two for us . . . .

I'm a little tired, but I didn't sleep well last night. So far no food cravings, but I was a fairly healthy eater. I have pork in the crockpot at home. First time I have EVER made pork! I have been pescatarian for the last 20 years, but I am branching out in hopes to add more protein to my diet.

Hope everyone is having a great day so far

Kimberly

Hey there -- glad we have our official spot here.

Today I tried light coconut milk in my coffee and it was a fine trade off for cream - luckily I can drink it black too.

Other than that I feel fine - maybe a little headache but other than that nothing. Work took us out to an Italian lunch so I just had salad with oil and vinegar- and olives -- the shrimp was fried i think so i shuffled it under my napkin. but i successfully said no to bread, pasta and cappuccino!

I will have the salad i brought as a pre meal to my work out. Yesterday I had to have a mini meal before dinner as I was starving - so I am trying to add on a bit more protein and fat in the meals to get me through the day on only 3.

But slow cooker has been the best -- you can literally throw bag of sweet potatoes and have them for the rest of the week!!!

Keep up the good work - 28 days to go!

K

Coming in to join you, I have been struggling to go paleo for the past three weeks, after a life time of dieting and losing and regaining...yo yo master here.....my 40 year old son went paleo two months ago and has lost 40 lbs and feels better than he has in years and is pushing me to give it a go.

I understand it is not a diet, it is a way to eat healthy for the rest of your life, I am trying to embrace that but carbs are my weakness and my downfall so itsd...Satan!! Get thee behind me!!!

I have never been much of brussel sprout fan or sweet potato fan, but after reading about so many people eating them, I think I will buy some this weekend.

So day 4 - sinuses hurt, but can't blame that on the food - more likely our crazy Oklahoma weather. I'm feeling pretty good. Going to try to make it through the whole day without nuts, because I think that has become my new "junk" food.

I agree whole heartedly on the nuts, I only have raw unsalted almonds in the house and still find myself noshing on them to avoid the BAD STUFF....

If you are craving something crunchy...try baking some Kale chips!! They are excellent, just take the kale leaf, fold it in half and cut out the heavy stem, cut the leaf in chip size pieces, spray with a light EVOO and a sprinkle of sea salt, and pop on a cookie sheet, 325 oven, about 8 to 10 minutes and you have crunchy salty goodness that is LEGAL!!!

Sweet potato's are great microwaved, little cinnamon and butter...and I LOVE brussel sprouts, parboil them for about 4 minutes, til bright green, then tossed them with a bit of EVOO and basalmic vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, a few bacon crumbles and roast at 400 for 30 minutes.

JEEEZ :rolleyes: can you tell I am a foodie......lol

I agree whole heartedly on the nuts, I only have raw unsalted almonds in the house and still find myself noshing on them to avoid the BAD STUFF....

If you are craving something crunchy...try baking some Kale chips!! They are excellent, just take the kale leaf, fold it in half and cut out the heavy stem, cut the leaf in chip size pieces, spray with a light EVOO and a sprinkle of sea salt, and pop on a cookie sheet, 325 oven, about 8 to 10 minutes and you have crunchy salty goodness that is LEGAL!!!

Sweet potato's are great microwaved, little cinnamon and butter...and I LOVE brussel sprouts, parboil them for about 4 minutes, til bright green, then tossed them with a bit of EVOO and basalmic vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, a few bacon crumbles and roast at 400 for 30 minutes.

JEEEZ :rolleyes: can you tell I am a foodie......lol

Thank you! Thank you! thank you!

awesome barbara! keep posting recipes!!

yesterday i think i made each meal substantial enough where i didn't feel i was starving in between each meal. last night i hung out in brooklyn with friends i haven't seen in years and didn't eat or drink a drop! it wasn't even that hard -- well the french fries did smell amazing. but i made a big dinner (ground beef with sweet potatoes, ginger curry and spinach and a side of kale) to keep my full.

overall i have been feeling fine - but it's hard to let go of the old THINKING. like having pretty big meals ( i never eat more than banana and yogurt for breakfast) , eating more fat than normal, etc.... think that;s my hardest part -- having faith this will work and not worrying that i will gain weight. my goal isn't necessarily to lose - but to lose the extra that my body has been holding on to would be great.

but i will say i'm starting to feel more energetic and have noticed the 3 oc;ock slump start to fade.

:)

Hello all,

Newbie here. I started 1/23/13. I can not believe the crazy energy I've been experiencing already!! I'm in awe at how good I feel. My moods have never been better nor has my energy. I did a workout today and was pleasantly surprised at how much energy and strength I felt throughout the workout. I usually have to tell myself to push harder but not today...it just came automatically. I thought WOW I never feel this good or can do this many of this exercise. As I was eating breakfast it dawned on me that the little aches and pains I feel in the mornings are gone. What a relief!! I could go on and on about how happy I am that my friend recommended Whole30 to me but I'll leave it short for now...just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Good luck everyone!!

Kim

Hey all,

I started on 1/22 as well and am feeling great so far. I am feeling full and satisfied with most everything that I eat.

Today's menu:

Scrambled eggs with spinach (sauteed in clarified grassfed butter with garlic) and grilled sugar free Chorizo.

A banana.

Egg salad (home made mayo and avocado mashed and added to the hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper) in romaine leaves.

Chipotle salad with carnitas (pork), salsa, and guacamole. Nothing else. (This was slightly disappointing and I probably won't bother again.)

Small handful of macadiama nuts and cashews and large handful of Castelvetrano olives for evening snack.

Lots of water and tea.

This is my second whole 30 and I'm doing it for a few reasons from a need to kickstart to lose about 20 pounds, feel more energetic, less bloated, more in control of my eating habits. I was definitely on a bad food trend and my evening glass of wine or beer was turning into a real habit more than a treat.

Yesterday (day 9) was my best so far. Interesting thing -

A few months ago, I took a hot yoga class, and during one of the poses, I became instantly nauseous and dizzy and had to sit down. The instructor told me that the pose was intended to release toxins from certain organs, and that it was common for new people to experience my symptoms.

Well, I never went back. Until yesterday.

Same place, same pose. No nausea and dizziness. Might just be a coincidence, but I would like to believe that my new dietary changes have made a difference in the level of toxins in my body.

Today, I am a little more tired than yesterday, but I still feel pretty good. Definitely in it for the long haul

Because of a move across country I have been on a bit of a hiatus from working out. Monday I popped in one of my Jillian Michael Interval DVDs (which are great BTW) and was ready to get my butt kicked.

Overall it was tough - but I could feel that I could work thorough it more than I would have before Whole30. Even though I am a bit out of shape I FELT strong working out. So I think that's one change I have felt so far.

So I guess my energy is starting to perk up - not really feeling the later afternoon slump. But I think I am still waiting for the big OOH LA LA feeling.

I was faced with some authentic NY bagels and cream cheese and didn't have a reaction at all. So that was cool. I can gladly say I'm not really missing anything right now.

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone doing?

My sugar cravings have been insane lately, but I am reluctantly managing them. Energy is higher and sleep is MUCH better. I also am able to manage my hunger between meals instead of being a crazy lady every two hours.

Down 10 lbs! (Yes, I know I should not have weighed myself - but at least my "cheat" didn't include a brownie :-) )

Archived