recs for eating out in boston/cambridge?

joanne

hi all!

this is my first post on the forums but i've been creeping around here for the last few weeks, so much great info on here. my boyfriend and i are on day 10 of our first w30! it's been going pretty well, and we are really enjoying cooking (we almost never cooked before... quite amazing!). however occasionally we would still like to take a break from cooking -- was wondering if there are any fellow whole30-ers in boston or cambridge with specific places they would recommend?

so far, all we've done during our 2 meals out is chipotle because we know that the carnitas salad there is w30-compliant.. would love to be able to branch out :)

thanks so much!

joanne

(feel free to check out how we're doing at http://food-trotting.tumblr.com)

In the south end I would try Toro or Copa - both offer small plates and have some w30 options. At Copa, they do prep behind the bar and you can get to know the people prepping your meal, which could come in handy. There's also The Butcher Shop, and I think the name speaks for itself. Small menu but you can easily get meat and veggies there. I'm sure they have ghee available.

renee -- thanks for the welcome! and i love russell house tavern! maybe we'll get their burger without the bun and cheese.. mmm.

shoothead -- toro is awesome. the bf hasn't gone there so perhaps we'll make a trip soon. haven't tried out the other two, but they look good! thanks :)

Sushigirl- I went to Russell House Tavern on Sunday and had the burger with no bun and no condiments (i.e; bacon, cheese, caramelized onions) and it was GREAT! It comes with a nice big salad, which I left undressed and squeezed a lemon over. It was great!

If you don't mind pricey once in awhile, Morton's will cater to your every whim. The Cheesecake Factory also has a good amount of paleo friendly options. There is a place in Davis square that is high raw - I don't recall the name of it, but you could definitely get some compliant food there. Not your average joes in Medford is good and will accommodate you adjusting the sauces, etc. lots of raw bars around, if you don't mind leaving off the cocktail sauce. There used to be a cheap and pretty good Brazilian steakhouse in Somerville but I think it's gone. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are lots more....

thanks melissa and michaela for the suggestions!

funny story: so we tried going to russell house tonight to get some of those burgers -- but ended up having a 45 min wait, and we were too hungry (and bf was too grumpy) to wait that long :( it was a trying moment for my bf, who in frustration asked if we could just go eat some pizza. thankfully i was still sane and remained firm, whew! unfortunately, it was another chipotle night... :P

My family and I went to Thornton's on Huntington for brunch one day - good for them and me!

http://www.thorntonsboston.com/menu.html

What I ended up doing was ordering a bunch of sides - poached eggs, fresh fruit, and I asked really nicely for half an avocado. They were incredibly accomodating, which was really great. Might be a little awkward with two Whole30ers, though.

thanks for the info, koerner!

finally had a successful non-chipotle meal out this weekend -- out in framingham (we were meeting some friends who live outside of the city). we went to a mediterranean restaurant (http://www.aegeanrestaurants.com/aegean_003.htm) -- their menu has a few w30 appropriate meals, and i double checked with our server, who was really understanding, that everything was cooked in olive oil / no butter. ended up getting a nice grilled trout with a side of green beans. their house salad was also compliant as long as you don't get the feta cheese (and the dressing is an oil/vinegar mix). hoorayy!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I ate out with friends at the Blarney Stone in Dorchester this week.  I did their blarney stone garden salad with grilled salmon on top, just clarified no dairy and not to use any butter, and had them bring me just a little bit of oil and vinegar on the side.  Really good.  (http://www.blarneystoneboston.com/food)  I also had good luck at Outback Steakhouse doing a sweet potato, steak, and grilled asparagus.

I have to go to a brunch today at Joe's American bar and grill on Newbury street and I'm a bit nervous as they don't have an online menu.  Hopefully something will work!

Archived