meal time help

Julia

I just finished your book and I have a breakfast question. I have to get up at 5am and leave my house by 630 for work. I have a three year old I get ready for daycare. I start work at 730 and lunch break is not until 12. I read I should be eating within an hour of waking up. How important is that? I normally eat at 730 when I get to work. Should I be making time to eat at 5am and if I do. What about being so hungry earlier while waiting for lunch?

• Moderators

Eating within an hour of waking is important to get your hormones in their proper rhythm. If you don't do it, you threaten your hunger and sleep cycles with staying a little off kilter. You can always eat a snack mid-morning to get you through the long gap between breakfast and lunch.

In this case, the best option for you would be a breakfast you can eat cold or prepare the night before. Personally, I've been experimenting with Crock Pot breakfasts that cook overnight and then require little to no effort in the morning. Chili is a big favorite in my house, as is a whole roasted chicken (you could do parts, too, just as easily). That will really help you get good food in your system and keep your momentum in the morning.

Archived