What to do with turnip greens?

dragonfly7

I decided to branch out into green leafy things that aren't lettuce or spinach this week and started with turnip greens. Unfortunately, I don't really like them. I tried them both raw in a salad (odd texture) and wilted with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and salt (too bitter). However, I have a bunch and a half of greens left, and I don't like to waste food. Does anyone have ideas to use them that I might like better?

• Moderators

I chop onions and cook them until soft in ghee or coconut oil. Add ground beef, season with salt, garlic powder, and chili pepper powder, and brown it until all the pink is gone. Add turnip greens with salt, garlic powder, chili pepper powder, and a sweet balsamic vinegar and wilt for 5 to 7 minutes. I have been using pomegranate infused balsamic, but any fruity/sweet balsamic would work. Apple cider vinegar is a bit too harsh. Another option would be too add a big handful of dried cranberries to sweeten the turnip greens.

Turnip greens are not my favorites, but I like them fine cooked this way.

Oh, Beets, Greens and Bacon is one if my favorites -- recipe by Everyday Paleo, I think.

Basically, you steam or roast the beets, cut into quarters and cool. Cook up bacon, then cut into little pieces and set aside. Cook the greens with some garlic and onion in the bacon grease, then combine with bacon and beets for an awesome salad!

Archived