Coconut permitted on autoimmune protocol?

Stepford WASP

I searched the forum, but there were too many coconut results to parse through. (ISFW only mentioned the big nasties to avoid.)

I realize coconut isn't a NUT, and I have never heard of it being super allergenic, so is it OK to consume on a Whole30 autoimmune protocol?

pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes

Meanwhile, I wonder who first gazed high up into a tree, saw clusters of big, round, brown, fuzzy balls, and thought, "Mmmm, tasty."

• Moderators

I realize coconut isn't a NUT, and I have never heard of it being super allergenic, so is it OK to consume on a Whole30 autoimmune protocol?

I've heard yes and I've heard no. You may have to experiment to see if it is okay for you. I like coconut oil enough that I would probably try it.

Botanically it's not, but I guess the FDA recently added coconut to their classification of "tree nuts." (in 2006). That doesn't mean it's out for the AI protocol, though. I always find it odd when people are allergic or sensitive to coconuts, since everything I've read props them up to be one of the more hypoallergenic foods in the world, but they're out there!

If you've specifically identified that coconut is a problem for you, I'd pull it out along with the rest of the stuff on the AI protocol. If you don't have any problems with it, don't overcomplicate your life!

Thanks, both of you.

I have not noticed any reaction from coconut milk, cream, butter, flake, or oil.

I do get the gurglies from cashews, and my sinuses go into hyperdrive if I consume almonds. Walnuts don't seem to have much effect, but they will also get the boot, along with macadamia.

Since my food sensitivities seen to cycle through a 4-day period, I might try eliminating all the nuts—plus coconut—for a week and then introduce coconut back in. Something is still causing inflammation and post-nasal drip, but I suspect nightshades to be the #1 culprit.

You may need to soak your nuts if it's the enzymes in them. Hazelnuts and Brazil nuts are the only ones without enzymes (but don't ever go overboard on Brazil nuts, they're packed with selenium).

well selenium's one of the GOOD things about brazil nuts. they're also packed with n6s, which is less good.

Normal selenium is good, but overdosing isn't. Some folks who have replaced all nuts with Brazil nuts have been consuming too much selenium. http://www.livestrong.com/article/311591-side-effects-of-selenium-overdose/

You might want to check out http://detoxinista.com - I don't have any problems with them, but she has detaied info on soaking and making your own nut milk, etc. Switching to hazelnuts would tell you if it's enzymes, but that's not the only thing people have reactions to in nuts.

On a completely separate note... Part 2 of your questions answer is they did't. Coconuts are either green or yellow depending on ripeness. The brown fuzzy coconut you know is the inside once the coconut husk is burned off. PS coconut water is much much yummier when you take a machete to the top of a coconut... Stick in a straw and drink... I also find there is a difference in the quality of the meat of the coconut from the fresh pre- burnt stage to what you find in the store. If you find yourself in the tropics get a coconut from the tree! It's worth it.

Archived