Digestive enzymes increasing appetite?

Gaileo

So I finally got my digestive enzymes, and starting with the very first meal I took them with (yesterday's meal 3) I have been RIDICULOUSLY hungry. So hungry I finished eating everything I had cooked (which was already more that I would normally eat at a meal) and then combed through the fridge and ate all the "scrap" leftovers, which added up to quite a bit (a fillet of fish, roast beef end, half of an avocado, all the sliced veggies, a few olives, several handfuls of greens). This supernatural hunger has now been present at every meal since! I don't know if it's coincidental, somehow related to my Whole30 progress, or because of the enzymes. I've never really had a big appetite before. I'm on day 14. Anyone have any input?

I've taken digestive enzymes for years and I can't say I'd noticed this but, now that you mention it, if I run out of them I don't eat as much as my stomach feels 'heavy' before I've finished my meal. You say you've never had much of an appetite so it's possible it's just normalising with the enzymes. Are you still eating according to the meal templates? Do you keep a food log? Without knowing exactly what you're eating it's difficult to say if it is 'supernatural hunger' or not :)

Good point! I have a food log of everything I've eaten since I've started... on paper, haha. I just started posting in the forums pretty recently. I will type up the last few days here.

1/22 Day 12

Meal 1 - 1.5 palms roast beef, 1/3 of a sweet potato, 1/2 of a beet, roasted, several olives

Meal 2 - same as meal 1, plus carrots & snap peas, banana

Mini-meal after work - leftover stir fry of steak, zucchini, carrots, arugula, green onion, & coconut aminos, smallish portion, celery & carrots

Meal 3 - spaghetti squash with beef, carrots, green onions, arugula. large bowl

1/23 Day 13

Meal 1 - can salmon with 1/2 avocado, sweet potato, & onion. 2 carrots

Meal 2 - cauliflower rice with onions & olives, chicken breast. an apple

Meal 3 - 1/2 lb ground beef as mini burgers wrapped in lettuce with pickles & onions, handful of olives. I took my first dose of enzymes right before this meal. I ate all of the above and then: fish fillet, roast beef (about 3/4 palm sized), carrots, two dates, and an entire avocado.

Day 14 (today)

Meal 1 - ground beef with onions, whole sweet potato, pear & spinach baby food pouch

Meal 2 - can salmon, 1/2 avocado, celery, 1/2 sweet potato

Meal 3 - bowl of spaghetti squash with cilantro-mint pesto and a chicken breast, olives, 1/2 avocado

Meal 4 - slow cooker pork roast, jicama slaw, 1/2 sweet potato, salad greens with oil & vinegar

I've been very strict with myself, sticking to the meal plan, limiting snacking and always trying to make mini-meals with all the food groups if I am actually hungry.

That heavy feeling you mentioned- I know it well. I have been having digestive problems for a while, along with the low appetite, so you are probably right about the enzymes helping to normalize everything.

If you've been undereating regularly, then your body may be just trying to make up for lost time. If you've been sticking to the meal plans, I really wouldn't worry. Yeah, your first meal with the enzymes, looks like you were hungry :) but you handled it really well and the rest doesn't look too much at all. Just make sure you get enough fat at each meal. Good luck

Archived