food dreams

Julia

I've had 3 "cheating" dreams during my Whole30 (my first - I'm on day 24!). Last one had me enjoying a can of tuna which I recently discovered had soy in it. My guess is I'm so paranoid about inadvertently "cheating" that eating noncompliant foods has become a new kind of (not so bad) nightmare!

Every time I have one of these dreams, I wake up sweating and so freaked out. Even though I know it isn't real, it still takes me a few minutes to realize wait, I didn't really eat that piece of bread... (and I don't even like bread)

I didn't think they'd hit me either but I've had two, one where I was mindlessly eating almond butter and chocolate coated gluten free pretzel (yes seriously that specific!) while stuck in rush hour traffic, late for an appointment with a car full of kids....total stress dream. Then dreamed that the hubby put a plate of cookies and a can of cheap beer in front of me and I scarfed them down. Both times in my dream I freaked out about starting over...then I woke up. Ahhh the sleeping brain, such a wild ride!

I haven't eaten anything bad in my dreams yet, but last night I dreamed I cried in front of a bunch of people (my old coworkers, bizarrely) because they were all eating cookies and crackers and candy and I couldn't. One of them called me a weirdo and I responded by screaming something about not having had sugar in two weeks! I am even hard on myself in my dreams, I guess. And also feeling a little sorry for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

My bad food dream wasn't even food- it was finding a tiny bag of pot (which I love but didn't smoke) and chugging frozen margaritas (which I don't love) with Sarah Jessica Parker (lol) and a really old lady. Mid-margarita I stopped myself and then just cried and cried for having to start over, then debated smoking the pot but didn't. It was a FANTASTIC food dream which I am grateful for showing me my weakspots.

These food dreams are too funny! I didn't think I would get them either but then it hit me one night and I woke up panicked that I'd eaten off-plan and totally failed. In one I was eating sour patch kids, a bunch of chewy red ones! In another I was with my family and they had made fresh-caught fish but there was some kind of flour used in the batter that I couldn't have... they were all pressuring me to "eat it anyway" and I did and woke up feeling terrible for a little while! I think the other night I also dreamed I ate dumplings or something but that one wasn't as vivid. In general I feel way better but I'm not entirely sure if I'm "sleeping better" if I'm waking up at 5 am from food nightmares!!! lol

I had the craziest dream last night! What really happened: I got a phone call at 5am to say I didn't have to come to work because of low census. Awesome! I could go back to sleep for the impending Snowmaggedon.

Dream: Went into work even though I was called off, then couldn't find my way out of the hospital. Lots of corridors later, I bump into MELISSA HARTWIG who is there to give me a consultation. We go into a library. We have our consultation and she tells me lots of things that are wrong with my diet. She starts eating a bowl of white rice and carrots (!) and tells me it is just fine to eat that. I'm feeling guilty for not eating the right things. She leaves our area and I lose her yoga mat in a river going down the middle of the street next to the library, which is all actually a hospital hallway. Then I am scared she will be mad that I lost her yoga mat, and I run down the street, which becomes a regular hallway, and I become naked.....and have to hide in a bathroom so no one will see me.

Bwaaa haa haa! Now that was a DREAM!

Note to self: Do not watch Hartwig videos before going to bed.

I finally had one. I was eating White Cheddar Cheese-its. I used to like those, years ago. But a few nights ago, the goopy-ness was apparently what my brain wanted. Or something. I woke up in the middle of the dream and a few minutes after my brain processed the dream (I was seriously out of it!) I dreaded having to 'fess up.

Only two days in and I already had one last night where dreamed I woke up early while we were camping and there were Hershey Kisses on the picnic table. I put three in my mouth before I realized what I was doing (this would never be something I would actually do). I chewed a bit but didn't swallow when I realized what I'd done. I spit it all out and washed my mouth out under a faucet at the edge of the campsite, when I realized that it was soy water (right...). I was SO upset I had to start over on day one. And yes, I am only on day two. I don't even eat all that much chocolate to begin with!

• 1 month later...

It's day 28, and I had my first food dream, in which I wrote a song -- an ode to "taco cereal," which was leftover chicken taco meat warmed up in cream of wheat and milk. Guess I'm missing grains and dairy?

• 9 months later...
Guest Wheat on Trial

I'm on day 17 and the last two nights I've had bizarre dreams. While they could have been about food, I can NOT remember them - just know that I felt relieved when I woke up! Anybody start having non food weird dreams?

Last night I dreamed of eating large rectangular steaks (like, 2x2 feet). Only finished half of one then stacked the rest on the table and stacked two pancakes on them. Later dreamed I was at a gathering and there were tables filled with bacon products. Most of them soaked in different syrups and coated in breading or sugar. I had only a few bites then had a few pieces of regular bacon.

I've had three so far...

The first one was just a day or two in, and I dreamed I went totally overboard, hamburgers and fries and who knows what else. I was feeling so awful that I was going to have to tell everyone I messed up so early on! Very relieved to wake up. Also, those are not things I normally eat anyways, so that was strange.

The second, I started to take a bite of buttery mashed potatoes, but then remembered I shouldn't, and tried to spit it out.

The third, I very slowly savoured a chocolate covered caramel. I don't recall thinking about W30 in that one, but I did enjoy it!

So far on this Whole30 I've dreamed:

- That I drank champage and ate a big bag of corn nuts.

- That I gorged on some sort of junk food (chips?) and it made me feel like total crap.

- That I was drinking a beer. Drank one, poured a second, then realized what I was doing and tried to pour it out. Then it turned into pink lemonade. Then I remembered that I had drank lemon lime Gatorade the day before (yuck).

- That I was devouring a vanilla cake with frosting - in the dream I realized it was an ice cream cake and it was melting and we were trying to eat it before it melted.

- Just last night I dreamed that I was trying to find something to eat at a restaurant and wound up eating carrot soup that I realized had soy sauce in it. And in my dream I was so upset about having to restart on Day 28.

It's always a relief to wake up...

• 1 year later...

I was kinda weirded out the first time this happened. I had a dream that I just gave up on my Whole30 four days from finishing and I felt guilty and awful. I woke up and was so thankful it was a dream. That was day 20 and every night since (day 22 now) I have had some kind of weird food dream. I told a friend at work who has done several whole30s and has been encouraging me, about the dreams. When she told me there are a lot of people who experience that I felt so much better!

Mine last night was my recurring dream that I am marrying my college boyfriend (BAD IDEA). I dreamed that I was like, "Dammit, I will have to eat wedding cake." And then I thought, "But no one can ever make me eat." 

The dream also involved my granddad showing me a Justin's almond butter packet but then taking it away from me.  Dammit, Granddad!

Fun thread! My first food dream, about a week in, I don't remember what noncompliant food it was. The second, about three weeks in, I was at an event where there were food stations. I remember a pasta station and a pizza station. Of course I went to the build your own pizza station. Got my crust and was carrying it all around the venue on a sheet of foil looking for arugula to put on it. So strange!

I had my first food dream last night, end of Day 4. I dreamed I woke up, went to the kitchen, ate ONE white chocolate-covered pretzel, and then immediately couldn't decide if that meant I had to start Whole30 over. When I woke up, I was CONVINCED it was real and wanted to cry. Once I realized it wasn't, I found my stash of bad foods (in case I want a few of them after the 30 days, we'll see) and promptly threw away the white chocolate-covered pretzels that were in there. Can't haunt me now!

Archived