Starting Saturday 1/26/13

iampanda

Hello everyone. New here.

I've been fiddling with paleo and primal the past couple of weeks and have found it enjoyable and much easier to stick to than I originally had thought. I've seen so many "cheats" out there and honestly have found them to be confusing what I think is supposed to be a pretty simple concept. So I stumbled upon this site and waalaah! It's exactly what I'm looking for.

That's not to say I won't miss a few of the things in my diet I'd grown accustomed to over the past several decades but this just sounds right to me, feels right.

So, here I go!

Anyone else starting up this weekend? Officially committing to all 30 days. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes-i am starting #2 on Sunday. I was toying with starting tomorrow (I know, I know-START NOW) but I have nothing cooked or prepared, and I want to get off on the right foot.

I did my first one in July/Aug, and did half of #2 in November. I jumped off the day AFTER Thanksgiving (how stupid is that?) because we began a kitchen remodel and there was just no way. Now I have my beautiful, efficient, well-equipped kitchen to use and the holidays behind me. (Literally-ha!) So I'm in.

A friend of mine subscribed to the daily emails when she did her first one and loved them, so I think I'm going to try that as well.

I'll check back in with you on Sunday!

Yay! I'm so glad you replied. I was hoping there would be someone else on the same day!

I'm starting tomorrow for the same reason. Cleaning out the pantry and fridge tonight, prepping my weekend menu, grocery shopping in the morning.

Have a great day!

Hi there! I started my very first Whole30 today too! My personal trainer suggested I look into it and after reading the book I spent this past week sort of mentally preparing myself for the journey! I have eaten mostly grain free for the past year and a half and I'm really excited to see how going strict for 30 days impacts my body. My husband is a huge support and a great cook, so I feel very lucky.

We had our first Whole30 grocery experience today -- wow was it expensive! Just makes me angry that GOOD food is so much more expensive than the crummy stuff!

Good luck everyone!

Heyyyooooo!!! I am a day 1 starter today!! Made it my entire day and feel great!!! I did my shopping wednesday and was already ten days into pantry cleanout and detox so on with the show!! I already read ISWF so I'm really excited! I am in my 3nd bout of cancer and have celiac (diagnosed july) on top of it so i am hoping to get support from the boards and answers as many questions as possible!! We're in these 30 days together!!!!!!

Let's hope we can at least keep your celiac's controlled with a Whole 30! I don't think it would clear up your cancer, but you should be able to be symptom-free celiac on this...

I started on 21 Jan, so I'm kind of in the same boat with you! I'm a week in, and I must say I really am enjoying the food (minus one thing that was rather bland last week). I'm hoping that I get more energy from this...nothing super noticeable so far, but it's only been a week!

I keep looking up recipes, i never realized in a few short days: how much food you consume, but it's awesome!!!! I even hid my scale so I wouldn't be tempted later. The planning part is hard for me since I am a day by day person so any helpful tips you pick up along the way, I'd love to hear them!!!

Happy day 3! how is everyone doing? I have been struggling with feeling like I don't have an appetite at all, though I keep eating my three meals a day and hoping it will all even out in the long run. I'm also struggling a little bit with the food associated with my workouts. I workout first thing in the morning at 5am, so i've been eating something on the way to the gym, then following my workout, but i understand that this isn't supposed to replace my breakfast, so then I eat "breakfast" again about an hour later. it seems like a lot of food in the morning! am i eating too many times?

hope everyone is doing well! make it a great day!

iampanda-where are you? Did you start? Yesterday was Day 1 and I was rewarded with The Best Night's Sleep. :) I forgot how much better I feel when I'm eating this way. I'm going to keep doing this until I stop forgetting!

I've done really well so far. Not sure I was rewarded with the best night's sleep yet but I'm sure it's to come! How are you doing?

Heyyyooooo!!! I am a day 1 starter today!! Made it my entire day and feel great!!! ... We're in these 30 days together!!!!!!

Yay! The more the merrier!

Hi there! I started my very first Whole30 today too!

... We had our first Whole30 grocery experience today -- wow was it expensive! Just makes me angry that GOOD food is so much more expensive than the crummy stuff!

Good luck everyone!

Good luck to you, too! I had sticker shock my first day shopping, as well. It's worth it though. I've also found that I'm wasting less food. I'm cooking everything and using it up so in the end, I'm probably going to be saving money.

That works! I also spent a LOT of money this weekend re-stocking my Whole30 pantry and fridge (thank you Whole Paycheck!). But if I'm honest with myself, what I'm not spending on wine every week (I have expensive taste) and what we save from not eating out may cover it.

I spent most of yesterday cooking for the week-chili, meatballs, mayo, etc. That seems to be a key to success on this plan. I often leave the house at 7am and get home at 8:30pm-if there isn't something Whole30 approved 10 minutes from edible, I'm in trouble.

I re-read ISWF this weekend and picked up a lot of things I missed the first time I read it. I think it's going to help me deal with some of the things I struggled with last time. I am really taking this as "The first 30 days of the rest of my life" this time.

Hooray!!! How is everyone's day 3 going!?!? I seem to be really good at making your everyday "dinner" and "breakfast" but am really struggling with the lunches. I only prep the night before for maybe 2 days so any ideas??

I'm sleeping better but wouldn't go straight to saying sleeping the best i could be, but i know it's on the horizon!! I can relate to eveyone's posts about either not being hungry but still eating, sleeping, etc. i start my work out plan on day 8 so i am making this week count as far as starting my new relationship with food. Best 3 dates so far haha!! I think it's a keeper ;)

Excited to hear everyone's updates!!

-Peanut

Hi Peanut (I had to call you by name because it's so cute!),

I am a tireless chili addict when it comes to lunch. Every Sunday I make some kind of chili-this week it's just ground beef (from my farmer), organic crushed tomatoes (fire roasted), onion, garlic, and lots of green chilies. I put half of a cut up avocado on it, and bring some kind of veggie on the side. Today it was zucchini noodles with homemade parm-free pesto. I brought an apple too, just in case, but was completely satisfied without it. Well Fed has an amazing chocolate chili, and there are endless options out there to keep you interested. Sometimes I put my veggies in it, sometimes I eat them on the side. If I get sick of chili I switch to tuna for a few days, and mix in lots of stuff-a few walnuts, half an apple, avocado, celery, onion, egg, cranberries-whatever looks good at the time.

One thing that really helps me with lunch-I try to have a few options available as sides. It keeps me from revolting against myself and reminds me that this is all about choice. I don't HAVE to eat the cold asparagus I brought if I don't want to. I have cauliflower, zuccini, etc. etc. For me nothing is worse that not wanting the lunch I brought and having no other safe options. That's definitely one of my triggers.

Good luck!

Hahaha yes.. peanut has been my nickname since I was 8 and 21 years later (with no help from my lack of HEIGHT)... So it remains...

I like the chili idea- thanks!!! I'm about due to stock up in groceries again since i only bought minimal stuff to see how this would work in W30 but it's turning out awesome and i love it!!!

I highlighted all your ideas so i remember them haha. I love more mexi style food so it's hard without the cheese but i still love every bite- hard part is eating it SLOW lol lol

day 4, friends! happy to start a new day -- yesterday was TOUGH for me. hungry and angry and all sorts of weird emotions yesterday afternoon, but last night i slept like a champ! i still woke up tired today but i'm just glad for a good night's sleep! i'm still suffering through a bit of a headache (i think my body is missing diet coke A LOT!) but i'm ready to make it a great day! tonight we are doing some more food prep, seems like all we do these days!

have a great day!!

Megmac - Chili sounds SO GOOD! I need some great throw-together kinds of meals that don't take a lot of thought. Your chili sounds yummy. I'm giving it a shot this week.

Peanut - I just wanted to say your name too. So cute!

jayseaklein - i had a headache yesterday too. Slept it off thankfully. What are you prepping for? Good recipes to share?

I'm struggling to be honest. Everywhere I turn is something else I would never question or give a second thought to eating. I won't even list all the things that are down the hall in the breakroom for fear I tempt anyone! I have to keep telling myself how I don't need those things and i'm better off walking on by. My will power stinks so I'm trying to stay focused! :)

At work I'm just known as the person who won't eat anything I didn't bring. It's funny to me now. When we do reward lunches or potlucks and we sit around and decide what everyone would like, I don't even get to participate. They just say, "Why do you care? You won't eat anything anyway." It actually makes me feel good now. :)

I'm with you on the headaches. I just noticed I don't have one now, but I think this is the first time in 3 days.

I'm also a big fan of meatballs. I made some this weekend that had ground pork, ground turkey, celery, onion, garlic, apple, carrot, curry, ginger, water chestnuts and 2 eggs. I sauteed all the veggies first, then baked them on 425 for 20 minutes. I started out trying to make the Thanksgiving meatballs but realized I didn't have fennel, then just got sidetracked. They are great, and even work for breakfast for me! I baked half and froze the other half so I wouldn't have to make them again over the weekend. There are SO many ways to make meatballs, you can find one that appeals to your particular taste and make a big batch to freeze. I haven't experimented with any sauces yet (LOTS out there) because I've been eating them with my eggs, but there are great options for that too.

panda -- we are trying our hand at making our own chicken apple breakfast sausage ... first time, so i'll let you know if they turn out and share our recipe! i've also been bringing bell peppers stuffed with pork sausage, onions, tomatoes and eggs for breakfast and need to make up a couple more so i can just grab and go in the morning.

hang in there! i know it is so hard ... yesterday i was craving things that i hadn't eaten in something like 10 years, which is really annoying! i keep telling myself that if i veer off track now, i'll just have to restart and go through the first four days again, which i really don't want to do! i think my biggest struggle right now is that i'm SO TIRED of drinking water!

Day 4 and feeling great! Where are you panda? I slept great again last night and actually woke up on my own at 5:40am ready to go! It was a good thing too, since I forgot to set my alarm. That's unheard of for me. I'm the type that would oversleep by 3 hours if I didn't set an alarm-LOL. I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come and not a fluke. (It happened a few times in my first W30, but didn't become a regular thing.)

You know how it seems like someone throws you a curve ball JUST when you've got it "all figured out"? Well I got mine...Jury Duty! Now we'll see what I'm made of! I'll have to pack and eat breakfast AND lunch for as many days as I'm there-no fridge, no microwave. Wait till those other jurors see my giant lunchbox! :)

I'm struggling to be honest. Everywhere I turn is something else I would never question or give a second thought to eating. I won't even list all the things that are down the hall in the breakroom for fear I tempt anyone! I have to keep telling myself how I don't need those things and i'm better off walking on by. My will power stinks so I'm trying to stay focused! :)

You can do it!!! It's not your willpower....remember in ISWF... it's not your fault, it's the food that we used to eat. Your body will get over this bump and onto feeling better soon enough! We are here for ya!!

Hang in there!! We are in this together and we can related!! I wake up tired, but then my energy catches up with me and I am going to sleep just fine, but I have headaches pretty bad. I know my body is just adjusting, but it stinks! So bring on the water to stay hydrated and focused-- i've been putting lemon...or cucumber and lime slices in my water to help when I feel "hungry" between meals. It helps alot!

Hope everyone is still doing great!!!! Let's go team!! :D

woohoo! wednesday! hope everyone is still hanging in there! my headaches are gone and i've had two great nights of sleep in a row -- that's a record for me! :) the chicken apple sausage experiment last night was super successful, and i also found some W30 compliant peach salsa, which has been spicing up my lunch salads! biggest issue i'm having is feeling "snacky" between about 3:30 (so, now!) and when we eat dinner. not sure what to do about that ... i know i'm not HUNGRY so i've just been riding it out.

keep at it -- you're doing GREAT!

Archived