Terra chips and flax seed oil

Kelley

Hi, I'm new here. My boyfriend and I are going to do the Whole30 soon, and right now we are collecting as much information as we can, reading ISWF, cruising the forums, collecting recipes (boyfriend is a GREAT cook) and food ideas, etc. We are looking forward to it a lot!

Our questions in the "can I have..." category are these:

1) Are the Terra chips okay? The ingredients for the sweet potato ones are sweet potato, expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, sea salt. I realize that this is likely one of those "junk food replacement" foods and so probably not okay, but I wanted to ask.

2) Flax seed oil. Also thinking not okay because it is a seed oil, but asking just in case.

I searched the forums to see if these had been addressed but could find nothing.

Thanks for any answers, and for you guys all being a great source of information!

Welcome!

I don't have the answer to the flax seed oil question for you.

However, I would suggest to not eat the chips. In my own experience, they are a food without brakes. While I have seen it stated that the oils in them are not forbidden, it is just not encouraged, I think the fact that these are a "chip" are the reason I would call them out. You already knew the answer though :).

I love that you are arming yourselves with knowledge before you start. Get ready - as soon as you finish ISWF you are going to want to jump in!

Best of luck to both of you!

My understanding on getting chips/crisps (as well as fried foods in a restaurant) is that, even if the oils are "compliant," they are kept at a high temperature for long times and reused for multiple batches, which causes changes in the oil. Better to make something ourselves at home (sweet potato "fries" or kale chips or brussels sprout chips) than to eat anything that's been commercially fried.

This is my personal understanding of oils; I can't speak for the Whole30 ruling on having something like that.

I don't know the flaxseed oil answer. I quit using it myself when I began eating pastured meat and eggs because I know I'm getting my Omega 3s from there.

Terez

• Moderators

Seed oils make you less healthy because they are high in omega6 fatty acids and most of us are already overdosing on omega6s and need to raise our omega3s to compensate. Not to mention that the heat with which they are used may make them worse in real life than they are in the laboratory.

Flax is marketed as a healthy choice because they are "high in omega 3s", but flax is high in ALA while our body uses EPA/DHA, so flax does not contribute useful omega3s to us.

As noted, these oils are not banned during a Whole30, but they are poor choices and you would get better results from finding something else to eat. And there is plenty more to eat.

I think I am going to start offering Whole30 shopping and cooking lessons to people who want to visit me. I cook lots of tasty meals in 20 minutes or less and lots of slow cooker and pressure cooker meals that require less than 15 minutes of prep time. I'd rather demonstrate than write about it. Hmm.

I think I am going to start offering Whole30 shopping and cooking lessons to people who want to visit me. I cook lots of tasty meals in 20 minutes or less and lots of slow cooker and pressure cooker meals that require less than 15 minutes of prep time. I'd rather demonstrate than write about it. Hmm.

Hopefully you have a friend who could/would video those lessons!

Tell you what Tom - I'll open the Minnesota chapter. I am one of those crazy people that loves grocery shopping and cooking. And GOOD eating for that matter!

you are far better off making the chips yourself. Get a mandoline or a good slicer attachment for your food processor and either fry them in oil (coconut or clarified butter/ghee would be my choice) or bake them in the oven. either way, they will be fresh and yummy and frankly much cheaper than those Terra bags run.

You can bake your own sweet potato in ghee or coconut oil, it's delicious, compliant and can be part of a real meal :) A mandoline makes slicing easier. I like to bake them in big batches of little cubes, as I can use them in anything.

Your tastes change pretty fast eating just real food. A lot of things I worried I'd miss, I haven't missed at all (Day 27 here). I have tried so many new recipes, many of which are now firm favourites :D

Archived