Bethany's "Keep Me On The Wagon" Log!

Bethany Gingerich

Hi All!

Love this forum but never posted till now, so I figured I'd make a log this time around!

This is my second Whole30, sort of. I did a "Whole25" in November, which I had planned in advance because I was taking a much-awaited trip to California, including wine country! Anyway, I loved how I felt so much that I wanted to do another one, but for the full 30 this time. I'm on Day 6 now. So, less time to go than the full amount I did last time, so I GOT THIS! Ha. We'll see.

My first three days were awesome, then the night of the fourth day, I went to a get-together at a bar and really wanted a drink but stayed with the soda water, then went out last night to a neighborhood party but ate dinner at home first and was all good. My food hasn't been very fancy so far because I've had a busy week. Grilled shrimp and veggie skewers for dinner 2 nights, salad with chicken or tuna for lunch, eggs and veggies and sometimes sugar free bacon for breakfast.

As far as how I feel, I felt a tad "hungover" on morning 4 and again, actually more so, today. I know from last time that once this passes, I will be golden! I felt so great last time after I got through the first week. And the time seemed to fly by faster, too.

Today's food so far: Eggs and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil, and coffee. (I'm in Hawaii, so I eat my late weekend breakfast when some of you are thinking about dinner!)

OK, day 7...had no energy today, which was a bummer because I think last time I was feeling amazing by now, but it could be other factors, who knows! Food today: One egg, sauteed spinach, and sugar free bacon for breakfast. Chocolate chili and broccoli, tomatoes, onions mixed together for dinner. Only got two meals done today, I slept late because I was feeling groggy so breakfast was closer to lunch time! Glad I got through another day even though I'm not feeling like I want to. I know it will come!

Day 8! So stoked! Being past a full week feels awesome. Especially because the weekend went by with no screwups, and that's by far the hardest part for me. I feel like I "deserve to relax" on the weekend, and that usually includes a happy hour or two where I'm not sipping on just seltzer. So I'm really glad I made it through just fine!

Just looked at yesterday and realized I feel TONS better today, so that's another good thing.

I made chocolate chili for the first time yesterday and my boyfriend is in love with it! I think this will be a regular thing for sure!

Totally skipped breakfast today, oops, except my coffee and coconut milk. Lunch was chicken and avocado and cucumber slices.

Aaaaaargh! I screwed up! At least, I'm almost sure I did. So we did a brutal CrossFit workout today, the kind where even while you're suffering through the WOD, you're also dreading the soreness each rep will add to the pile.

When we got home, my boyfriend mixed one of two supplements he takes, and I cheerfully said, "Make me one too!" so he did. Drank the whole thing while making our W30 dinner, never batted an eye. He has another thing he takes before bed, and he made me one too. I took two sips and all of a sudden the light dawned. I grabbed the canister and started reading.....soy, sugar, wheat, and pretty much every other thing we are NOT having! I had only had two sips of that one and the other one is a different type of drink so I don't think it's nearly as bad, definitely probably has some sugar but probably not much else that's forbidden. I haven't looked yet because I can't change it now. I truly thought that IF I screwed up it would at least be something fun, not a remedial workout drink! AAAhhhh well, I have to laugh because I can't undo it. And it does feel nice that it was a moment (OK, 2) of absentmindedness, not weakness that caused this slip. All good, back to business!

Hi there, I'm in Hawaii too - on the Big Island! Where are you, and more importantly, where do you get compliant bacon in the islands??!!

Bummer about the post workout drink. I am not a Crossfitter (or especially athletic) so I'll let others who are more in the know give the official answer; but I think the sort of conventional wisdom on that is to add days to the end so you get the full 30 day benefits. But as I say, don't go by me, I am still in the group that thinks a long dog walk is intense exercise.

And, really, compliant bacon in Hawaii? Where? Must have!

Costco, the low sodium version. Compliant as far as I can tell! I actually read about it on this forum. Safeway has one I've gotten a few times too, but it's not as good.

I'm on Maui! Good to see another Hawaii person on here!

I'm not too worried about my mess-up. I can be really absentminded so probably the bigger shocker would be if I DIDN'T space something in 30 whole days.

Costco, the low sodium version. Compliant as far as I can tell! I actually read about it on this forum. Safeway has one I've gotten a few times too, but it's not as good.

I'm on Maui! Good to see another Hawaii person on here!

I'm not too worried about my mess-up. I can be really absentminded so probably the bigger shocker would be if I DIDN'T space something in 30 whole days.

Hey, you're like a few hours' drive from me! (heehee - in a submarine...). Ah, Costco. That's a four hour round trip for me, sheesh. I should place an order when friends go to Kona next time. You know, I've never found compliant bacon at my local Safeway, and I'm in there 3 or 4 times a week. I should talk to the manager of that area and ask if they can bring some in. Good to know that the company does have access to compliant bacon.

Yay Day 11! So yesterday I went on the birthday cruise, which was drinks-included, ignored the delish champagne, snacked on veggies and chicken, and afterwards went to eat and sat at the bar with my guy, ate a yummy salad with fish on it and oil & vinegar, and sipped on a soda water with tons of limes. All good! Slept like a rock last night, got up this morning and made an awesome breakfast.

Feeling like the hump is over in terms of worrying and caring so much about upcoming events and how I'll participate in them. Hell, I did Whole30 through Thanksgiving last time, I need to remember that if I start buggin'! Ha! Valentine's Day will be the big one for this go-round, but I'll be less than a week out at that point, so I don't think I'll feel too tempted to blow it. Especially since we ended at 25 days last time (pre-planned from the beginning, not a slipup), I really went into this being excited to do the full 30 days.

I actually can't believe I'm 1/3 through, it feels really nice. I'm definitely having that deep, delicious sleep I love so much. My workouts are good too. Just a truly good moment in Whole 30 right now.

And, oh yeah, my waist feels smaller. Definitely. And I saw some pics of myself yesterday and I definitely look leaner. (not doing this for weight loss, at least not primarily, I swear!) :)

Day 12! That's shockingly close to halfway! Feeling pretty good. Salmon and roasted veggies (zucchini, carrots, mini peppers) for dinner last night, eggs, oranges, and coffee with cocounut milk this morning. I've never had abs in my life, even at my 18 year old skinniest, but when I stand up SUPER straight I'm seeing the outlines around the edges (no 6-pack outlines, don't be cray)! Pretty nice! I definitely have more muscle than I've ever had, so it's a matter of revealing it! My shoulders look more toned too, and my "side boob" seems to be going away. I know you women speak this language! (If you don't, congratulations!)

Day 13. Blah, just kinda over it today and sick of thinking about food. It's the weekend and I just want to relax. I know, I can relax and be on Whole30. Which I will do. I haven't had breakfast yet, I'll feel better after it I'm sure! Ate out last night and had an awesome filet and broccoli with balsamic vinegar on it. That is good, FYI. Make you some. I think I'll make some for breakfast, as a matter of fact.

Sweet! I'm so glad! Still do get the Costco kind if someone makes a run, it's better and less than half the price! :)

Day 14 wrapped up! Survived Super Bowl and having friends over! I served Chocolate Chili and everyone used it for nachos, lol! Except me of course. And I made grilled wings that were amazing, and the ginger lime shrimp from Well Fed, which everyone raved about. Tasty delicious. Can't believe this is almost the halfway mark already. I am loving (hating but loving) that I'm going a month with no drinking. I probably would have had a rowdy weekend and instead I'm healthy and hydrated! I feel so motivated to get to work tomorrow, which is unusual, usually Sunday night I'm discouraged and worried about the week to come.

The weekends are definitely hard for me though. I have to be honest that I considered ditching this whole thing about 10 separate times this weekend. But I didn't. Pretty happy about that!

Day 16...past the half. Feeling the blahs. Don't feel like cooking my umpteenth dinner, just itching to load up my boyfriend in the car and go to one of our fave places for dinner, not worry about 12 modifications to my meal, and order a nice frosty beer. Ugh. Not sure if typing that made it better or worse.

I feel like a whiny idiot. I feel fine, I'm not suffering, I have energy, no problems except general boredom and missing old routines. And beer. I really love beer. And, while I'm bitching anyway, I miss ranch dressing, not the kind where you have to make your own mayo first, just real regular restaurant ranch. OK. Enough with my negativity! Back tomorrow with my positive attitude back on, I promise!

OK, much happier girl! I was hungry and needed to get out of the house earlier. Went out to eat, had a lobster tail, a shrimp skewer, and the salad bar. I kept it completely real with the salad bar but I suspect the shrimp & lobster tail had a bit of butter put on them in cooking, I didn't stress it and I'm glad I didn't. It was an extremely satisfying dinner and I feel great. Glad I have this board to read other people's experiences, it really helps in those yucky sick-of-this moments!

Day 17 coming up! That sounds so impressive! :)

Day 17!! It's crazy after the half how fast it goes and how much better it sounds (or looks) to say what day you're on! I got up and went to a 7:30 yoga class, then came home and made breakfast for me & my man. Breakfast is a struggle for me because I never feel like cooking OR eating in the morning. Honestly, if I have my coffee and maybe 2 or 3 bites of whatever happens to be in the fridge, I'm happy. But I'm really working on that on W30 because I know getting a real meal sets my day up much better. One of the things I really want to keep after 30 days is up!

Speaking of that, I've been thinking a little bit about that. What I want to keep and what I don't. Last time, I now think my expectations were somewhat unrealistic as far as what would happen after 30 days. My boyfriend and I have a very "wild style" life. By that I mean that we're very busy, we travel a decent bit, and we're very unpredictable with making plans, our schedule, and therefore, when and where we eat. I like that, and thrive on it. Making dinner 6 or 7 nights a week is not realistic for me long term. I enjoy eating out and it's honestly not that much more expensive here than shopping at our outrageously priced grocery stores (welcome to Hawaii) so it's not a budget breaker either. It's just the way we operate. So this time around I'm trying not to get all attached to the idea of what I'm doing, and instead figure out, honestly, how I want this to fit into my life.

After the last run, I stuck with almost no dairy and almost no sugar, and I've completely quit using artificial sweeteners, which I used to go through in mass quantity. Fell in love with canned coconut milk in my coffee, SO SO good!

Anyway. Just my morning ramblings (it's morning here).

Day 19! All good. Ready to take on another weekend. Just feels like a normal thing now. Eating out really is almost more trouble than it's worth so I probably will try to avoid that for the most part. Going to a comedy show Sun. night and I know we will be eating out with family before that, so that's the only time I'm planning on. Oddly, the most paranoid I am about anything right now is that I'm getting my teeth whitened on Monday and won't be able to drink coffee for 2 days! Or tea, I wouldn't be worried if I could replace it with tea but it's gonna be cold turkey for this addict.

Must add that I made what turned out to be my favorite dinner so far on whole30 last night! The lime shrimp recipe from Well Fed, which I turned into lettuce wraps with onions, grilled peppers, and grilled tomatoes. Cut the shrimp into little pieces after cooking to make it manageable. Use butter lettuce for wrapping. SO flavorful and good! And a side of butternut squash with coconut oil and nutmeg. Tasty goodness. I kind of want it again today! It was the kind of meal I don't think I could ever get tired of. Check it out if you can!

Archived