Bethany's "Keep Me On The Wagon" Log!

Bethany Gingerich

Thank you, ladies! I searched high and low at the health food stores, but all their bacon had sugar on the ingredients list. I've got a Safeway within walking distance of home! Who'd a thought? And congratulations, both of you, on just keeping on with the program. I'm about to close out Day 4.

'night!

Day 20! I could physically not bear the thought of eggs for breakfast, so I ate an avocado and some sardines. Oddly, they tasted good at the time, but now my tummy's not sure what's up! Ha! Oh well. I really do have to figure out this breakfast issue in a way that will work long-term. Stuffing down eggs for months on end is not my idea of a good time. And cooking meat in the morning isn't either. I've resorted to cans of tuna a time or two. I just don't see a great solution to this right now. Any suggestions, aside from eating leftovers, because obviously I do that if I have it available, but that's not a guarantee. We have fish for dinner probably half the time and leftover fish is a questionable proposition to me. Maybe that's my goal for the rest of my Whole30: figure out this breakfast thing in a realistic, sustainable way!

Day 21!!! I just wanted to type it! Because I cracked the "10 mo' days" countdown!!!! (please note, I enjoy being on this, I feel phenomenal, I am nervous about the end and want to keep eating whole foods, but when there's a timeframe on anything restricing, I still look forward to the end. Just how I'm built). Anyway, the weekends were what I was most worried about from the beginning, and after today there is only one more weekend on Whole30 and that just seems crazy. It has absolutely flown by. I love that! I was telling my BF yesterday how time flies no matter what you're doing, if you're eating crap and not working out or taking care of yourself, it flies by and then you're living with the consequences before you know it. Or you can make what feel like "sacrifices" and clean up your life, and time flies just as fast but you're living with benefits and enjoying it all more. Tonight we're going to see Jo Koy and before that eating at a Vietnamese restaurant, so I'm a little worried about what to order, but I'll figure it out. The menu is online so I'll study up in advance.

Day 22....can't even believe it! And I survived the weekend just fine, including eating out and going to a comedy show, which would usually involve a drink or two. Not that there's anything wrong with a drink or two, but it does feel good that I can now take or leave stuff without it being some big deal. Next big challenge: Getting my teeth whitened this afternoon and must give up my beloved coffee for 2 days. I might be more worried about that than 8 more days of whole30! Ha! Wish me luck please!

Day 22 complete. So pleased! One week to go...really it's 8 days but tomorrow's Tuesday and it ends on a Tuesday so to my juvenile mind that's just one week! Ha! I feel fine, I'm not really worried about 8 more days but I am excited to be done. I am ready to relax a little because I now feel I can handle it. I don't worry about chowing down on a bunch of crap, I have absolutely no desire to do that. But I do want some sushi that someone else made and I don't have to worry about, and some wine. It also feels terrific that tomorrow's day 23 and last time I only went 25 days. So in 2 days this will have been my longest time doing the Whole30 program. And my parents are past the first week of theirs and my mom says she wants to eat this way forever! So proud!

Day 23. Just wolfed down the same dinner as Day 20, and it was just as good again! LOVE it! And my bf is making his unbelievably awesome crockpot spaghetti sauce, which we eat over zucchini "noodles". So that's tomorrow's dinner figured out. And I have an eggplant from my farm box so I'm already thinking eggplant parmesan. Valentine's day, we're doing on the beach with homemade awesome food. I'm more excited about that than a crowded restaurant any day....except I would obviously prefer to be having wine or champagne! Plenty of time in life for that, though. No big deal. And that will be Day 25, so can I really complain about anything at that point? ;) I can be so bad at sticking with things that I am over the top proud of myself for sticking with this. I know it's not truly "hard" of course, but still.

Day 24? Seriously? I kept thinking today was Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Officially down to less than a week. 6 days after today. I feel a little worried about not having the structure and guidelines, since I'm not good at moderating my behavior. But I'm also excited for the challenge of maintaining the stuff I've chosen to keep. Just ate the best dinner: Spaghetti sauce made by my man over zucchini julienned "noodles." So tasty! And just shocking how different and more satisfied I feel after a plate of that than "real" spaghetti. Not stuffed and groggy, but content and full in a good way.

Day 25! Valentine's Day too. Normal day, worked from home, leftover spaghetti and butternut squash (no one freak, my spaghetti is fully legal, trust me!) Dinner was "snack" stuff while watching sunset for V-day. Cocktail shrimp, olives, marinated mushrooms, sashimi with coconut aminos, so delish, and some mixed berries. And kombucha which I pretended was wine! Ha!

It was actually just the V-day I was in the mood for. Perfect. Simple and personal, no crowded annoying restaurants where they have a pris fixe (spelling, who knows) menu for the day. Yuck. This was juuust right!

Day 26...feeling like I've got this now! Especially since I ended after 25 days last time, so the fact that I have passed that makes me feel more invincible. Also, the fact that I've had no real cheats except for the accidental supplement thing (I think it was day 8) and possibly a bit of butter on a lobster tail (I didn't put it on but I think it had some already on it). Neither of these things was me going "Screw this, I'm cheating." That's important, I think.

Dang. 26 days of no sugar, dairy, booze. That's huge. The wheat and legumes, I could give up fairly easily I think. But those first 3 are toughies.

Been thinking more about what I want to maintain. I think we will continue cooking pretty strictly paleo, and since I work from home I have full control over my breakfast and lunch and those are ALWAYS paleo. Dinner, I'm sure we will go back to eating out often, it's important to us.

I think I'm done eating bread. I really do. I kind of thought so after last W30 but less than two months later I was occasionally eating it again. Not keeping it in the house or anything, just more getting into the bread basket occasionally. I think I'm done. It just adds no value to anything, it fills me up so I can't eat all my real food, and it makes me fat and bloated. No need for that.

Rice and pasta, same deal, pretty much. I love them both but the effect they have on me is undeniable. I eat way too much of them once I start. And the feeling afterward is so predictable: Yuck. Just yuck. And again, they fill me up with nothing calories and I have no room left for awesome veggies & meat.

I just feel SO zen about food. We were in Whole Foods yesterday getting stuff for our V-day picnic, and I really wanted these dried okras they had. Sugar on the ingredients, put it back, no big deal. Normally I would be SO disappointed not to be able to have something I really wanted. Then they were out of kale chips, which were one of the main things I wanted to go to WF for. Again, no big deal. They had plenty of good stuff I wanted and could have, so I was all good. I'm thankful for Whole30 for giving me that. Amazing the effect food has on my mindset, I know everyone tells you that, but it doesn't stick until you experience it for yourself. At least for me. I feel like I always have enough and never get that "It's my last meal" feeling when eating.

Yay! And yay for 26 days!

Day 27! Got up, coffee, CrossFit. I cannot eat before Crossfit or I would barf. Breakfast: one egg, half an avocado, sauteed garlic artichoke hearts, sugar ftree bacon, more coffee.

And did I mention it's Day 27? I am straight trippin'. How did I of all people manage to pull this off? I have literally no idea. Two people at Crossfit today were like "Have you been doing paleo?" and said I looked great! My tummy feels so flat, I'm in heaven!

Here's what I think the deal is as far as weight loss, since I think 99% of people do this in large part to lose weight, if we're honest: whether or not you lose any weight, let alone the amount you'd ideally like to lose, you will almost certainly like your body more after doing this. Particularly if you are also doing hard workouts throughout. A month of eating this way AND taxing your muscles is a significant thing to do for your body, and it is long enough to change things. Without knowing if I've lost, gained pounds, or stayed exactly the same, here's what's different:

FLATTER STOMACH. My tummy is my #1 problem area and it's just simply a ton flatter. I can see the beginning of side abs when I stand up really straight. Minor V cuts beginning to show up (I don't have very low body fat, so don't get any crazy ripped visuals here, I still have roundness to my tummy). Very little if any bloat. Just a tighter tummy than I had before.

Legs look leaner. Just generally tighter, muscles show better. I think some of that is that I'm carrying less water weight.

Shoulders/arms look better. And I see way more shape to my upper arms. Again, less water weight probably. The tone just shows up better.

So yeah. That's the purely shallow outside stuff. Since about day 2, I've been sleeping like a rock. My annoying tummy troubles are almost completely gone, my athlete's foot is barely bothersome anymore, I have stable energy, I don't crave crap food, I feel genuinely hungry for real food, and my moods are way less swingy.

And I did 5 double-unders in a row in CrossFit today! Several times! Never got past 5, but I'm still pretty proud.

Costco, the low sodium version. Compliant as far as I can tell! I actually read about it on this forum. Safeway has one I've gotten a few times too, but it's not as good.

I'm on Maui! Good to see another Hawaii person on here!

I'm not too worried about my mess-up. I can be really absentminded so probably the bigger shocker would be if I DIDN'T space something in 30 whole days.

I checked this bacon out the other day. Are nitrates okay on the Whole30? I can't remember! I try to go uncured if I am buying bacon, but I can't for the life of me remember is nitrates are compliant or not? I know sulfites are not.

I don't know, I think the one I get from Costco literally says "bacon, water" on the ingredients. Not sure about the Safeway one, I had it once at the beginning of this Whole30 but can't remember. Does all bacon have nitrates? I guess it's a little late for me to be asking now, ha!

Thanks for your comment!

Day 28! Hoo-rah! It's early here, so haven't started eating yet. Just having coffee, then yoga, then breakfast.

Day 29! I always say this about stuff at the end, but this truly has flown by. I'm so glad I did it. I feel so much better in so many ways.

I had the best salad yesterday, I just have to share it: Spring mix, small sliced beets, chicken breast, onions, pieces of fresh orange, half an avocado, red wine and olive oil, then squeezed an orange over the whole thing. So refreshing and delicious! One of the best salads I've ever had. Also had a side of Brussels sprouts, cut in half and sauteed in fish oil! SO GOOD!!! Put that one in the the easy-to-make, delicious folder! :)

I'm so grateful to this board! It really is a nice place to come during the days when you're struggling but you know you'll be happy if you keep going. It's nice to read people's posts who are maybe a little "ahead" of you on the timeframe and realize that if they can do it, you can too. Just nice. (I'm all feel-good vibes today, hey, I'll take it!)

Had another pretty epic dinner so I wanted to share....I made this

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-bok-choy-in-garlic-sauce/detail.aspx

and added sugar snap peas, so good! Obviously had to sub some stuff to make it W30 compliant but it was DEEELISH! Will definitely be making this again. It would be good with broccoli and probably other veggies too. Just so tasty!

Also made some makeshift eggplant parmesan with leftover spaghetti meat sauce piled on top of eggplant. Pretty much just an effort to clear some stuff out of the fridge since we'll be away Thurs. to Sunday. A VERY satisfying meal! Once again I'm full and happy.

Day 30! Can't believe it's here. It really did go by fast, especially the last 10 days.

I'm back and forth between looking forward to things I've really been missing (a sushi night is definitely in my near future) and being nervous to be outside of the specific guidelines. But above all I'm happy, proud, and SO glad I did this! I can't even explain how happy, actually. And my parents are in the something-teen? days of theirs, so proud of them too!

Eating another elaborate salad for lunch, and planning the lime Well Fed shrimp again for dinner and some random sides since I have some more stuff to use up before our trip.

As I drove to yoga this morning, I had the most overwhelming feeling of well-being I've had in a long time. And I am NOT a morning person so that's saying something! My body just feels fully taken care of.

Another thing I haven't mentioned is that my soreness from Crossfit has been less extreme lately, and seems to go away faster. Could be a coincidence or just that I'm finally getting to a new point in my fitness, but I can't help think my diet has a bit to do with it. I just feel so HEALTHY. That's the only way to say it, just truly healthy!

Thanks for saying that! Yeah, I'm so pleased for my parents. They have been on one diet after another for literally my whole life. I hope this clicks for them. So far it seems that it is really agreeing with them. My mom has had success with low-carb diets in the past but never could stick with it so it would be on, off, on, off. I hope with this she can learn to adapt it to her real world.

And my poor misguided dad had decided to be vegetarian/almost vegan before this. I'm not saying you can't do that in a healthy way, maybe you can, but he definitely didn't have it down. He didn't understand that just because you're not eating meat doesn't mean you can down unlimited carbs. He's now eating meat again and I'm so relieved.

As for me, Day 31! So far, business as usual, and feeling great. Definitely don't want to give up this feeling!

Archived