Weird, Unexpected, and AWESOME!

EmilyB456

So, I have fibromyalgia, and due to that and a number of hormonally-induced depression and anxiety issues, I've been on Celexa or Lexapro for several years. A week ago, three weeks into this Whole30, I woke up and realized I HAD NOT TAKEN A PILL IN FIVE DAYS. It may not sound like a big deal, but before, when I've tried to go off the meds, either because I just don't like taking them or I was about to get pregnant (or my husband accidentally knocked me up with no warning, the fertile bastard!), withdrawals have been awful, awful. This time, maybe a litle dizziness? Maybe? Nothing I noticed, for sure! I want to keep eating this way and stay off the meds! Yay!

Emily - have you ever tried to go off Lexapro before? I tried last summer and went through horrible withdrawal that led to some of the worst anxiety I've ever had. I went back on, but only at 10 mg (the lowest theraputic dose) - just wondering if the withdrawal was better on whole30, since I'd be curious to try again.

Emily - have you ever tried to go off Lexapro before?

Ugh. Yes. I've gone off Lexapro, prior to getting pregnant with our 3rd child, and It. Was. A. Bitch. Quite frankly. I had pretty much all the symptoms you find when searching around on the web...initial increased anxiety and paranoia, extreme insomnia, rapid heart rate and shortness of breath (even thought I was having a heart attack at one point!) and this weird sensation like I was being internally shocked with cattle prods. That was after tapering off the meds very, very slowly on the advice and guidance of my doctor.

Celexa is supposed to be chemically very similar to Lexapro (don't know that for sure, just what I've been told). This time, I might have been a little dizzy...but, I might have not eaten enough carbs that day. My legs have been kind of twitchy at night, but nothing like the cattle prod sensation of the Lexapro withdrawals. I've polled my family and friends to see what kind of a difference they've noticed in my behavior, and so far, so good! Maybe a couple of days my temper was shorter, but that may also be because the 2- and 4-year-old have decided to torture me with sleep deprivation techniques.

Of course I am NOT a doctor and would never advise anybody to come off meds this serious without the guidance of their doctor. I kind of accidentally went off, cold-turkey, and stayed off and am thrilled because I HATE taking pills and have wanted so much for years to deal with my issues in a natural way. The only naturopath in our area (and him over an hour away) is a big fan of veganism, so I'm kinda on my own with this natural stuff, but I'm happy that I could ditch the Celexa and just eat yummy, healthy food!

Emily that is fantastic! I also had been on and off Lexapro for the last nine years. I tried several times to go off of it but was always unsuccessful because of the side effects but after eating paleo for a few months I decided to try again and just like you I was a little dizzy maybe one or two days and that was it. Yay for us!!! I feel like I am alive again not being on Lexapro.

Archived