1/2 cookie on day 20...now what?

hinshawj

Not that the back story matters, but here it is. my uncle passed away in Novemer. my aunt is a baker, every Christmas a big box of her cookies arrive. As a thank you she wanted to send cookies to a handful of immediate family as a thank you for traveling cross country for the services. I didn't ave the heart to ask her not to as I know keeping busy after 60 years of marriage is probably what gets her through. so they arrived this week. I decided to freeze my favorites...for what...I don't know...but that was the call.

Until I had one....ugh...day 20. I so wanted to be able to go out to dinner for valentines with the hubby, but if I start over, I wouldn't be able to. Or would I? Do people succeed on w30 and still eat out occasionally. I'm happy to restart the clock as I know my sugar dragon is still around. Clearly.

Do you have a greek restaurant near you? I went to one on Tuesday and was very happy with a my choices. I had octopus marinated in olive oil and grilled, then a whole grilled fish with olive oil and lemon and herbs. They were flavorful and there was a lot of olive oil dishes available and I just made sure there was no butter also on there.

Personally, I would add the days on. You deserve a completely clean Whole 30, you're worth it :) but don't beat yourself up - it happened, just move on. I'd start looking round now for restaurants and plan out what you could eat when you go out with your hubby, that'll remove a lot of the stress. I'd also try to make it the most romantic day ever and really enjoy his company. Good luck

I got a broiled steak with no butter, and vegetables cooked in olive oil, and a really great salad with no dressing (it had some citrus slices on it, so it was just really nice) at a steak place. I think a lot of steakhouses have good options.

Alternately, you could make a big fancy meal at home, perhaps.

Depending on where you live, eating out and having a compliant meal is totally possible. I'd start by looking at the website of the restaurant(s) that you're considering going to. Then to be sure, you could call them and explain that you have specific dietary needs & ask about the item you're interested in ordering. Or, what I've ended up doing, is asking the waiter when I get to the restaurant.

I've eaten out 3 times during my Whole30 so far. The first time I just ordered a hard boiled egg (it was morning), but the other two times I smiled nicely at the waiter and said: "I'm sorry I might be a bit of a pain but I cannot eat dairy, sugar, gluten, or grains. Will I be okay to order XYZ?" (Of course, I start by picking something that looks compliant to begin with!)

Both waiters couldn't have been nicer, checking with the chefs and letting me know what I could and couldn't eat. Of course part of this trust also comes from where you're eating...not to stereotype but I wouldn't feel as comfortable trusting the diner staff as I did the upscale foodie restaurant. The one restaurant the waiter let me know that the meal I wanted to get wasn't compliant because the salmon had been smoked with sugar (talk about going the extra mile to know what's in the food!), and he made sure my egg dish was cooked in olive oil instead of butter! Good luck whatever you decide-- cooking a meal together could be a romantic option too!

Archived