February 2013 Starters

Kate File

So who is ready to start a Whole 30 in February? Thought it more flexible to call it a February group because it can be hard to start on a particular day.

I am starting a preliminary Whole 5 today and starting the REAL Whole30 on Monday 4th February. I will use this week to practice but it is my husbands birthday on Friday and I am cooking lobster mornay and sticky date pudding! And on Saturday I fly to the Gold Coast to meet my new GRANDSON and I don't want to be an ungracious guest with fussy food habits to the new mother, my son and his in-laws who will be doing the cooking.

This is my second Whole 30 and I loved the first one and found it quite easy - I am an all or nothing person and the strict rules actually made it easier. I am a complete sugar junkie though and fell into terrible habits since Christmas and being away all of January up til now. I can't believe I put on 6kg in 5 weeks!!! So i need this 5 day prelim start to kick start me.

After my first one I continued paleo for a while, then reintroduced dairy and minimal grains. I then "quit sugar" and read a lot of books about that. Loved it and truly believe in everything I read. And NO sugar is so much easier than some sugar. Although on those plans you are allowed things with less than 2% sugar which makes it easier (allows in bacon and ham).

Last time I had a week lead-up time to prepare foods, stock the pantry, find new healthy food sellers and completely psyche myself up for a good pure start! And clear out the freezer of those not quite compliant meals (eg my last bolognaise sauce made from pasta sauce containing sugar!)

I'm from Sydney Australia and would love to hear from other Aussies but love reading posts from all other nationalities too. Posting and reading the forums really helps me stay motivated and keep on track. Fascinating too. Isn't technology amazing that we can communicate with such ease across the entire world. Particularly with a mini iPad in the handbag!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Kate

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

Im living in Aus as well :) down in Melbourne.

Ive started the Whole 30 today, Ive been overseas for 5 weeks so am feeling very motivated to get back on track with my healthy eating!

I usually do low carb, but more of an atkins version so am keen to cut out cheese, dairy etc. Also Im looking forward to having some time off alcohol, so feeilng pretty excited about it all today!

Count me in for the Feb group!

I'm in for the February group. I'm hoping making some diet changes will help a suspected case of adrenal fatigue. Blah.

I've been slowly changing my diet last week and this week. I was going to start on the 1st... but I'm struggling with what to bring/eat at our annual superbowl party. :( So I may start on the 1st, give myself a little slack that day (within reason), and start my REAL 30 days on the 4th.

I'm starting the 4th, too! This is my birthday weekend, so I will get all of my splurges out of the way, and I'm already stocked up and ready to go Monday.

I did Whole30 in September and felt great about finishing it, but I went on vacation immediately after, then the holidays rolled around, and I never was able to get fully back on track. I wanted to extend it to a 40 or 45 if I hadn't gone on vacation.

Good luck everyone!

Hey there,

Although I am not from Australia, I figured I'd offer a few details since I will also be starting my Whole 30 on February 4th. Why the 4th? Well simply put, I am in the process of finishing up the book "It Starts With Food" and also I have realized through reading many posts on this blog that preparation is key. I'm excited for this challenge, and my girlfriend will be partaking as well. Good Luck!

Starting tomorrow, Feb 1st. First time through it, and starting CrossFit tomorrow as well!

I've been transitioning to a paleo diet for the last several months and am hoping it helps to curb some of the cravings that I've seen people mention they get during Whole30.

This has been part of a progression of the last several years of changing some of my horrible diet and habits from living a couch potato lifestyle and eating your typical mid-western diet of everything fried or covered in gravy. Somehow the principles of Whole30 is something that I've known I want to do for a long time, it's just coming to fruition now.

I'm super excited to be starting my first Whole 30 on February 4th as well! (I'm in Vancouver, Canada) I decided to also do my first juice cleanse starting February 1 before the Whole 30.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting my copy of It Starts with Food before the 4th, but it seems like there are a lot of resources here in the forum. I'm going to peruse a bit more to see if I can find answers to some of my preliminary questions.

Hi all!

I am starting today in Stockholm, Sweden. I have been eating low-carb since February and started cutting out dairy a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned out four bags of things from my fridge and pantry and now I am so excited to start :)

I will be kicking off the weekend with three parties but I feel fully mentally prepared to be drinking sparkling water with lime and wake up feeling great the day after!

I actually started January 30th and woke up today in Day 3. I will finish the 30 days February 28th.

I, too, began transitioning to a Paleo lifestyle throughout January with sugar being the last thing to go. I'm glad I did because I am not really suffering any of the side effects of someone who was dropped into enemy territory (so to speak). We ate pretty clean in the first place so it wasn't that hard giving up grain. Oatmeal was by go-to every single day. Dairy was an adjustment to say the least. But, we soldiered on and started using coconut milk in our coffee. I found coffee creamer by So Delicious but carrageenen is one of the ingredients so no more of that! But, sugar....And wine.....You can do anything for 30 days. It isn't hard. Doing an Ironman Triathalon is hard. Leaving the cork in the wine bottle is not hard.

My main goal(s) with doing this is to slay my sugar dragon; just beat her down! Plus the digestive issues and a cranky hip flexor too. My fiance has a compression fracture of his L1 and osteo-arthritis and no cartilage in one knee so any relief there would be awesome for him. And, us both dropping a few lbs of body fat would be fantastic as well. We are getting married married later this year and would love to not have to invite the body fat to the wedding.

The one realization I have come to is this: You become really aware of how much mindless eating you used to do. I was at my dad's the last couple of days and your eyes cannot land anywhere without seeing something sweet. Donuts. Cookies. Candy. Ice Cream. I looked at all of them and my evil brain actually "lit up". Does that make sense? It was like, "hey! Candy! Cookies! Donuts! Ice Cream!" But my good brain said, "uh, no. You don't need that crap..." This went on the two days I was there. But, I resisted. And that was when I realized that the old me would have cleared out a couple of pounds of junk while I was there, just because it was there. Mindless Eating of Crap.

I'm going to re-read the Sciency-y stuff from the book every day to remind myself why I'm doing this. Bruce (the FH) will come on board 100% eventually but for me? I'm there.

We. All. Rock. ;)

I am officially starting my second Whole30 today 2/1/13. I have been attempting and failed a few other times these past two weeks but here I go again and put it out to the world on my blog this morning so I need to stick with it this time :)

I have been sick most of January and need to get rid of this congestion, and know Whole30 will do the trick as I felt amazing on my last Whole30 that ended Christmas Day.

This second time around I am looking at it as more of a permanent lifestyle change so perhaps that has played a part in my failed attemps too lately.

Looking forward to being motivated by everyone!

My daughter and I started today! I didn't do quite as thorough of a prep job as I should have. I realized as I was cooking dinner (a coconut ginger soup that the broth I purchase had sugar added to it. So I ended up having a fruit smoothy and plain chicken. The rest of the family enjoyed the soup though. I'll have to be more careful next time. My daughter took a thermos of homemade tomato and veggie soup with her to help a family move tonight and they were serving pizza! But she stayed strong!

I am really looking forward to this next 30 days and am grateful for the accountability that a group like this can provide!

Hi all, I am on day 14 today - nerly half way through - lovin git but had a few minor skirmishes so far. I also am from sydney australia - northern beaches area - so would love to meet up with anylike minded whole 30 people. I have just found a fabulous organic market that has a whole stall of coconut goodies in Warriewood. good Luck to all.

Hi all, I am on day 14 today - nerly half way through - lovin git but had a few minor skirmishes so far. I also am from sydney australia - northern beaches area - so would love to meet up with anylike minded whole 30 people. I have just found a fabulous organic market that has a whole stall of coconut goodies in Warriewood. good Luck to all.

Tell me more about the organic market - where and when?

Hi

I'm on day three and happy to have this forum for support. I have been doing low carb, so no sugar, but I think the artificial sweeteners have kept the sugar demon nipping at my ankles. One of the hardest things has been stopping cream and sweetener in my coffee. Now I realize that my coffee is pretty bitter. I will try cold brewed.

I had a tough Day 1, but I am working to plan ahead more and have things available. Day 2 went much better!!!

I am happy to be here. This is my first Whole30, so I still feel like I'm adrift.

So Im just coming to the end of my first week. Really enjoying it so far, that was my first alcohol free wknd in a long, long time!

I think the main thing is being prepared so you dont get caught out when you are out and about.

Im already finding it easier to get up for work in the morning, so thats a bonus as mornings are always a big struggle for me!

Ive just been doing a few bikes rides, but nothing too strenuous (I have lots of injuries from running & boxing), was thinking of starting up Bikram again this week, although not sure if thats the best idea during summer! :)

Hope everyone stayed on track over the wknd and good luck to those starting today!

Hey everyone!

I started on 31st January so I imagine we can say I'm doing it in February?! :)

So it's day 5 for me today... And I'm glad the day is finishing without having killed anyone. The evening was tough on me, I just wanted some peace and silence, and my 3 y old son was not ok with this! ;)

I'm in Belgium (Europe). If there's anyone else from Belgium too, I would be happy to hear from them... :)

I have been eating paleo since July 2011 but recently I have had surgery (gallbladder removal) and I had some difficulties coming back to my paleo eating habits afterwards because I couldn't digest anything but carbs in the first few weeks (but did never eat grains or milk again, just more carbs like potatoes, sweet potatoes and a lot of chocolate and sugary things :()... Don't know why or how I could have done it another way.

Any way I tried my best to go paleo again because I was feeling so good with it before surgery. I talked about this with my nutritionist and we found out that I was really vitamins depleted, and also iron, etc...

So now I'm taking a whole bunch of nutritional complements like vitamin B, magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc etc...

I must say this helps a lot. I have been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I'm feeling sooooo much better now!

Sometimes it's really not a question of will power!

That's because I really wanted to go back to these good feelings that I decided to make my first Whole30!

I'm veeeery happy with it because I can already feel I will soon be on tracks again, and maybe in a better way then before :)

This is awesome to be able to connect with people able to understand what we are going through, and to read other people's stories.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Archived