February 2013 Starters

Kate File

you guys ROCK.. thanks for the help... today (day 6)... i added extra egg to breakfast... so 3 eggs.. with bacon.. (my wonderful hubby picked me up some fresh side at the butcher yesterday.. which is just uncured bacon.. so no sugar... it needed a bit of salt when it was done.. so yummy.. ) and that kept me full until lunch.. then i MADE myself make a nice lunch instead of my usual quick snack... dinner was chicken thighs and big salad... still felt sluggish today but at least i wasn't hungry too! thanks for all your help and support

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody,

Day 18 done. Spent the day blackberrying, working out, reading, prepping and grocery shopping. Bit tired now however I have been going like a machine, so much energy, no hunger, bright white eyes, clear skin and my tongue has no coating on it-Bonus, bonus, bonus!!

Looking fwd to tomorrow.

Have a great day/night everybody:)

Even though I'm in the home stretch I still feel like I could make serious improvements. Since I have already made a conscious decision to do a Whole60 I'm going to concentrate on the snacking habit in Round 2. I've been doing it for so long that I think even if it is a compliant snack it's okay. Eating when you aren't hungry is not okay, healthy or not.

th_DSC_4787_zps0eaffac5.jpg

My primal companion...

Day 17 w/ 17 workouts.

Slept like the dead last night. Which led to to an awesome 1 hour, high intensity, trainer session. Nothing like burning 1000 calories before dawn!

Then my awesome wife made me a procuitto & broccolli omelete with a side of roasted sweet potatoes. All while I put on a suit that previously didn't fit well.

I'm in a happy place :)

Ya gotta love February. And W30 Februarians!!!

YIKES - I just have to get over myself today and keep going. Day 21, self-sabotage thoughts, UGH!!!

HANG IN THERE LaDeb.... you are worth succeeding.. i am only on day 7 and think that i will be amazed if i make it to day 21.. don't quit now... you've already proven you are strong to make it TWENTY ONE days... now coast on in to the finish line, hands held high, and bust through that tape!!

The day 17 test - my firm just brought in lunch. And who doesn't like a free lunch?

I was hoping they would have some compliant food. Unfortunately BBQ doesn't lend itself well to W30. While it all looked and smelled fantastic, it wasn't all that hard turning it away. Though I did wonder if I could have just a little of the pulled chicken. But figuring the BBQ sauce was loaded w/ suger, I passed. Hardest part was explaining it to people. I got the "C'mon you can go back on it tomorrow" routine. I didn't even try to explain it.

Instead, I grabbed some salad, then ran to my stand-by deli and got some grilled chicken to throw on top. $3.75 for lunch in NYC is a bargain.

WIN, WIN!

Currently on day 17 and thought I'd check in since I haven't in quite a while. First, I have to say the improvements all around for me have been incredible! Most of the positive changes I have noticed so far has been a dramatic increase in energy, huge increase in taste buds (especially to veggies and fruits I had thought were pretty bland before the W30), my skin has cleared up dramatically, and clothes are starting to feel a little looser!

Also, I am proud to announce that I have so far succesfully QUIT cigarettes during the W30!!! I mentioned in a post at the beginning of my W30 that it would be one of my biggest challenges to do so. Personally, I think by incorporating this in my W30 plan it helped me stay on track for eating right and quitting smoking by providing me with the fear of extreme guilt and dissapointment if I caved in on either front!!

To those who have recently started, stick with it. My first week and a half I was pretty distraught on how the heck I would be able to stick with it through the whole 30. However, the tasks that are pretty tough at the beginning (Such as difficulties on what to buy at the store, refusing to give in to cravings, headaches, etc.) go away and you will feel 100 times better! Best of luck to everyone!

YIKES - I just have to get over myself today and keep going. Day 21, self-sabotage thoughts, UGH!!!

Day 21 here too and I know exactly what you mean. I made cookies for work and wanted one so bad. I had thoughts of quitting all day yesterday. Then last night I almost cheated and made banana ice cream because I was so hungry. I made a big plate of broccoli, kale, and leftover meatballs. When I was finished I was too full to even contemplate it anymore. Stay strong my friend, we only have a few days left!

Congrats everybody, you are all doing so well. Day 19 done. My appetite has disappeared :(

Woke up stiff and sore this morning so Pilates and yoga was the workout today and did not feel bad about not smashing myself up as my diet is so good I feel light and lean:)

Have a fabbo day/night everybody:)

Today is my first day - I have been seeing a great nutritionist who got me started with not eating wheat and not consuming artificial sweeteners - that was a huge step for me. I started that on December 4th. I also cut back a lot on dairy but had not completely eliminated it, or the dreaded sugar...although I cut back on that dramatically too. Today will be a day without stevia...that has been the only source of sweetness except when I "cheated" and ate some dark chocolate.

I have been on a ton of diets since the age of 14...on and off - yo-yo city. I have now reached a point in life where I am sick and tired and just want to feel good and have abundant energy and a clear head. I'd also like to stop taking the anti-depressant and synthyroid...I am not sure that is possible (the synthyroid) but the anti-depressant seems like such a waste of time when eating well will probably take care of the issue.

My schedule is crazy; I travel at least every other week but my nutritionist and the ISWF book have been very helpful in providing me with ideas of what to eat from a hotel room. I always get a refrig and microwave - sometimes a full kitchen depending on where I stay.

Oh - and one more thing I love about this...No Snacks. I love just having 3 meals a day (except when I workout, then I'll eat before and after.) I find snacks are a pain and if I eat a great meal I have never felt the need to eat a snack.

I am looking forward to reading more in these forums...good eating everyone!

I'm on day 4 today and it's my first day on the forum! Hit with a mega-flu which is probably a combo of food, a stressful few days, and half as much sleep as I need this week.

My biggest challenges are cooking interesting enough things to have a variety....as I hate cooking....and also shifting away from my staple breakfast (seriously almost everyday for about 10 years!) of oats and fruit to a daily cooked breakfast is a little challenging too.

It'so helpful to read everyone's posts!

I'm on day 13 and feel good over all but I HAVE HAD IT WITH EGGS AND MUSHROOMS. I have some combo with extra stuff every morning and I am SICK of it. What else do you eat for breakfast? I've added crab, spiced hamburger, italian spices, salsa, avacado, turkey. UGH. I'm out of ideas.

The other thing is I really want to step on that scale and find out if it is working or not. I don't feel like I am seeing that weight loss result although I do feel better, skin better, calmer all that. I guess I need to focus on that. But uck, it's hard.

I'm only on Day 5 and can already see myself getting sick of eggs before this is over. Today I decided to try a smoothie for breakfast and see if that kept me full like eggs do. The smoothie consisted of: 1 cup of water, a handful of ice, 2 handfuls of spinach, juice of 1 lemon, a small chunk of ginger, 2 stalks of kale (stems removed), a banana, 1/2 of a cucumber and half an avocado blended together. I was a little nervous about it but it is surprisingly delicious! There are so many good-for-you things in it, but all I taste really is the cucumber, lemon and a hint of ginger. I also am eating a handful of olives for some added fat. The recipe made enough for about 1 1/2 glasses and I am full after only about half of it!

Day 18 w/ 18 workouts. In a groove - a breezy,chilly 21 degree run, but I got to see the sunrise which always beats the view on my trainer in the garage! Then 2 fried eggs, sausage and sweet potato home fries warmed me to the bone!

3rd weekend ahead and they always seem to present challenges. Lousy weather doesn't help but it looks like a great weekend to try a batch of that chocolate chilli I've read about here. Also going to hit the local farmer's market for the first time. I'm oddly excited about that :o

And that reminds me, I'd like to thank all you guys and gals. The support is fantastic. Especially those of you that are a few days ahead of me. Your threads and "likes" of my posts are inspiring. Keep up the good work. On all fronts! Just make sure you don't fall off the rails, I'd really be disappointed, no pressure though ;)

Happy Friday!

Day 18 w/ 18 workouts. In a groove - a breezy,chilly 21 degree run, but I got to see the sunrise which always beats the view on my trainer in the garage! Then 2 fried eggs, sausage and sweet potatoe home fries warmed me to the bone!

3rd weekend ahead and they always seem to present challenges. Lousy weather doesn't help but it looks like a great weekend to try a batch of that chocolate chilli I've read about here. Also going to hit the local farmer's market for the first time. I'm oddly excited about that :o

And that reminds me, I like to thank all you guys. The support is fantastic. Especially those of you that are a few days ahead of me. Your threads and "likes" of my posts are inspiring. Keep up the good work. On all fronts! Just make sure you don't fall off the rails, I'd really be disappointed, no pressure though ;)

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday to you!! I've tried the chocolate chili before and it is delicious! I added some hot peppers to mine though to kick it up. It's really good over a baked sweet potato!

I'm on Day 5 and coming up on my first weekend. I am incredibly nervous, but I know I can do it. I just need to go to the store and stock up on some Whole30 approved foods so I'm not tempted by whatever junk my husband is eating. :)

Happy Friday to you!! I've tried the chocolate chili before and it is delicious! I added some hot peppers to mine though to kick it up. It's really good over a baked sweet potato!

I'm on Day 5 and coming up on my first weekend. I am incredibly nervous, but I know I can do it. I just need to go to the store and stock up on some Whole30 approved foods so I'm not tempted by whatever junk my husband is eating. :)

Hot peppers will be added. Thanks. I've also got some "Death Sauce" that's compliant so it'll be spiced up for sure.

I've got a teenager at home so it's junk food galore in my house! You nailed it though, keep W30 stuff on hand and eat hefty meals, my experince early on was I wasn't hungry so I wasn't tempted.

Good luck, you'll do fine!

On day 13 and not feelin' the magic. Still tired but have two kids that don't sleep so it's expected. No great triumphs at the gym. Still having very urgent bathroom needs (TMI, sorry). Just trying to be patient. Added kombucha and digestive enzymes to see if that helps. Contemplating adding VitD and fish oil too. Mentally I feel good about the plan and am not struggling with what to eat, just want to FEEL better. Dinner at the in-laws tonight, so my dinner is packed to bring with me since its pasta and cookies every time we go! Thanks for listening to me whine.

Hmmmm, got to reduce the amount of nuts I am eating. I have been eating a hand full each day and over the last week I have noticed that my tummy is not liking it at all!!

Other than this, still feeling really good :-) energy levels are high and constant through out the day. Not snacking between meal and am not missing any of the old foods I used to eat.

Best of all, I can say no easily when offered items I know are not a good choice for me!

tonight is the ONE NIGHT in my entire W30 that i have been dreading/anticipating..... we are having a girl's night out... the first in a year... and the gals are all excited to hit the town... dinner..... comedy club... music.. dancing.. general frivolity... (mind you we are in our 50s.. so just a bunch of hot cougars on the town... we will probably be exhausted and home by 11) nonetheless... i have informed one of the girls that i was not drinking and she was so excited to make me the designated driver... AWESOME!... however there is ONE friend... (isn't there ALWAYS that ONE FRIEND) that is personally vested in what everyone is drinking.. she is the one that always gets completely wasted and crazy... she will pressure and push and can be a bit passive aggressive with why aren't i drinking? (if i say i am the DD she will go on with how i can have JUST ONE)... so i have thought about a lot of lies i could tell and finally settled with the truth.. here is my line... when she asks why i'm not drinking i am going to say.... desperate times called for desperate measures and i had to make some choices to get my body back on track.... THEN she will say... COME ON ONE DRINK WON"T HURT.. we haven't been out in forever... one night you can let loose... blah blah blah... to which i will look her in the eye and say... "what i could really use is just some support and encouragement.... and i don't need booze to have fun with all you lovely ladies"...

It's awful to be dealing with peer pressure as a middle aged woman... but i have spent so much time ducking from it and avoiding and fearing being rejected that sometimes i feel like i never left high school... so as part of my W30 experience i decided to grow a set and GROW UP and own my life and my decisions and like someone on this forum has as their signature and i can't remember right now who that is.... "those who matter, don't mind and those who mind don't matter"....

OK.. here's to DAY NINE!!

ps.. it's slw600 who has that as a signature... the quote was by dr. seuss.. such a wise man.

UPDATE... night went very well... a small glitch in that i was prepared to go to one restaurant and then we went to another and i had to punt... did ok.. ordered shrimp tacos asked for them grilled instead of fried... and didn't eat the shell had them skip the sour cream... no peer pressure to drink... maybe i was strong in my resolve and didn't appear like i would break... super fun to come home clear headed.. and i won't have a headache in the morning!!

Woke up in Day 25, real serious home stretch for the first 30 but since I consciously made the decision to do 30 more I guess it's more like 35 days. I'm just celebrating 25 days without sugar. That is huge for me. If there is one thing I can learn to live without, sugar is it. I am really jonesing for a green tea latte from Starbucks...bad. I have some matcha tea powder so I'll have to whip up one with coconut milk. It won't be sweet but I can deal.

Have a baby shower and a birthday party today. I know what the menu is at the shower and I think I can pick and choose what I want. She said healthier chicken salad but I know it will be made with conventional mayo so that is out and the roast beef wraps can be unwrapped. As for the birthday party....I know this group and it'll be cheap pizza and grocery store birthday cake and ice cream. Since I will have eaten at the baby shower I know I can pass on everything they serve. It would be nice to see a veggie tray but I know the odds of that are slim and none, and slim just left town.

Archived