February 2013 Starters

Kate File

Day 22 w/ 22 workouts. On cruise control both with eating and working out.

My wife has been extremely helpful, going to ths grocery store almost daily to keep fresh veggies available. Last night she par bolied asparugus and yellow carrtos (that we got from the farmers market) then tossed them in olive oil and S&P. Yellow carrots?!?! who knew? Also was roasting sweet potatoes. Three great sides to go with a left over roasted chicken! easy peasy - mostly for me anyway ;)

Then, I browned some ground pork with peppers and onions to use as my morning protien. That, 2 fried eggs and some of those raosted sweet potatoes have become my go to b'fast. Which my wife also makes. Yes, she is awesome!

Point being, with a supportive spouse and some planning ahead W30 is a piece of cake - pun intended.

If you're not in a groove yet, stay the course. It will come!

Lucky Man! Woman are so great!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol! My husband brings home ice cream, potato chips and chocolate!! I make dinner and he eats out on his way home because my food "scares" him, I keep telling him, it's the same food, just no rice or cheese or pasta. Oh well, he'll come around when he is ready.

My guy goes to the store for me when I'm in need but he eats out every night. Will not eat my delicious, well- prepared food to save his life. At least he doesn't bring the junk in the house and lucky for me, my kids are young (1 and 6) so whatever mom cooks, they eat.

My mom came to visit for a few hours Sunday and two of my brothers kids were over (a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old boy). She brought McDonald's in my house, for her and my nephews!!!! She was trying to feed the kids french fries. I wouldn't let her give it to my daughter and I offered her and the other kids blueberries and grapes. Those sweet boys took the fruit and ditched the fries, my mom seemed really surprised they would rather have something healthy than junk, maybe a lesson learned for her? Possibly wishful thinking on my part. :)

My guy goes to the store for me when I'm in need but he eats out every night. Will not eat my delicious, well- prepared food to save his life. At least he doesn't bring the junk in the house and lucky for me, my kids are young (1 and 6) so whatever mom cooks, they eat.

My mom came to visit for a few hours Sunday and two of my brothers kids were over (a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old boy). She brought McDonald's in my house, for her and my nephews!!!! She was trying to feed the kids french fries. I wouldn't let her give it to my daughter and I offered her and the other kids blueberries and grapes. Those sweet boys took the fruit and ditched the fries, my mom seemed really surprised they would rather have something healthy than junk, maybe a lesson learned for her? Possibly wishful thinking on my part. :)

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. She is, afterall, a woman ;)

I give you credit, that would be difficult.

My great equalizer is my teenage son. All he eats is hamburgers, chicken wings and pizza. Now he's driving so he's compeled to get it himself and bring it home. Least he could do is eat it there :rolleyes:

Funny! My teenage son is the one eating my leftovers. Too many mornings breakfast and/or lunch are missing!

OMG... they NEVER EVER discussed menopause in that "growing up and liking it" class we took in 5th grade... seriously... i finally went my 365 w/o a TOM and i am 51... but those last few before i was done was ridiculous... i was wishing that Brawny made tampons.. because seriously you need a whole roll and a broom stick... i'm just sayin... they could have given us a heads up that we would be spending several years not wearing white pants for fear of IF / WHEN/ and please NOT NOW!!

good luck hang in there... when it's over it is SOOOOOO NICE!!

ROFLOL! Working from home today, but I thoroughly enjoyed a great hearty laugh! Wonder if there is market Brawny could expand into?

OK... i put this off for over a year now and finally made the appt for my colonoscopy.. it was my new year's resolution... well it's thursday... right in the middle of my W30... so today i start with the clear liquids and then all day tomorrow ... i have to drink that GINORMOUS jug of "golytely"... ironic name isn't it... i'm sure it won't be LIGHTLY... there is a packet of "flavoring" to mix with it to make it more palatable to choke down.. however it has sweetener in it... have any of you ever done this procedure during your W30? or have any recommendations for me??

i was thinking of making a big pitcher of water and adding orange slices... lime.. cucumber and maybe mint and letting it sit all night till tomorrow afternoon when i have to start chugging... that should work shouldn't it? and still be compliant...

i put a roast in the crock pot for hubby to eat tonight and i will make some broth for me to have today and tomorrow.. going to research a bit on that bone broth and how to make it... OK... of to the store to buy my milk of magnesia...

Day 24 done. Tired after 5 big days at work and sore from a WOD that included wall walks - Ouch!!

Just back from a farewell, surrounded by people eating and drinking. Stuck to water and now home scoffing home grown veggies and Whole 30 guacamole Yum:)

Tomorrow big day making home made sauce with all ingredients from the garden, stewing and freezing apples, roasting red capsicum to freeze, freezing the fresh garlic and one more visit to the blackberry patch.

Yes, I have turned into a squirrel.

Stay strong peeps:)

Day 23 w/ 23 workouts.

I did not want to get out bed this morning. But I've got a dentist appointment tonight so a night workout was out. Just like W30, the workout streak was not going to be broken. So glad I did. As is often the case when I dont feel like working out, I manage to kill it. then feel awesome for having completed it.

Reward; 3 egg omelete, leftover steak and asparagus. Ya call this a diet? :huh:

And yes, again my wife palyed chef (even suggested the asparagus).

Life is good. Hitting the homestretch...

Made it to Day 10! I'm finding already that my "cravings" are slowly diminishing. There are still some foods that I would love to sink my teeth into (CHEESE!!) but am resisting. Mostly I'm finding as long as the food isn't near me, I have no problem resisting it.

On the menu for dinner tonight: "Blackened" Chicken with Garlic Roasted Broccoli.. yum!!

Day 25, beat my number of rounds for Cindy by 2 so pretty happy about that.

Big day cooking fresh veggies ready for freezing and whipped up a big serve of soup to freeze full of home grown goodies.

My partner had some soup plus 4 big slices of fresh bread loaded with butter!!

All ready for a day trip to Melbourne, meals packed. Looking forward to catching up with friends and doing a bit of shopping:)

Okay. Woke up today in Day 30. I will go ahead and weigh and measure tomorrow but I did, kind of start over this past Monday and am staying on plan until March 26th. Only thing I eliminated were the cashews I've been eating (roasted with seed oil...my bad for not looking at label...didn't even cross my mind...) I just want to track my progress on body composition like we're supposed to and just keep going and hope the mind-games ease up and the sugar dragon gets beat down a little more.

I did make my list of foods I don't miss: bread and pasta (never really was a fan of pasta), beans, cottage cheese, peanuts, seed oils and processed anything. I love making my own dressings, seasoning blends and sauces. Mayo!!! The sweet potato hummus I make is outstanding. Roasting vegetables is the best thing ever! Parsnips! OMG! I'm sure I'll think of more to add to the list. Going to read Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D. That should be the nail in the wheat coffin for me.

The foods I do miss? Oatmeal, hummus with chick peas, really good cheese, and like I said, sweets, ice cream,(I want to try making coconut milk ice cream.) wine, pizza (will try making grain free crust with either coconut or almond flour though). I make a mean pepperoni bread in my bread maker so I may have to try and adapt that recipe too. I will make every effort to keep sweets to a once-in-a-while treat.

I'm sure there are more but as we all realize, you can live without these toxic foods so I think I am sticking with this long term. I've abused my body enough and I certainly can't rely on the health care industry in the 'states so I have to take care of the body I have.

Stay tuned...

Okay. Woke up today in Day 30. I will go ahead and weigh and measure tomorrow but I did, kind of start over this past Monday and am staying on plan until March 26th. Only thing I eliminated were the cashews I've been eating (roasted with seed oil...my bad for not looking at label...didn't even cross my mind...) I just want to track my progress on body composition like we're supposed to and just keep going and hope the mind-games ease up and the sugar dragon gets beat down a little more.

I did make my list of foods I don't miss: bread and pasta (never really was a fan of pasta), beans, cottage cheese, peanuts, seed oils and processed anything. I love making my own dressings, seasoning blends and sauces. Mayo!!! The sweet potato hummus I make is outstanding. Roasting vegetables is the best thing ever! Parsnips! OMG! I'm sure I'll think of more to add to the list. Going to read Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D. That should be the nail in the wheat coffin for me.

The foods I do miss? Oatmeal, hummus with chick peas, really good cheese, and like I said, sweets, ice cream,(I want to try making coconut milk ice cream.) wine, pizza (will try making grain free crust with either coconut or almond flour though). I make a mean pepperoni bread in my bread maker so I may have to try and adapt that recipe too. I will make every effort to keep sweets to a once-in-a-while treat.

I'm sure there are more but as we all realize, you can live without these toxic foods so I think I am sticking with this long term. I've abused my body enough and I certainly can't rely on the health care industry in the 'states so I have to take care of the body I have.

Stay tuned...

Oh wine and cheese!

I'm going 32 days but next Friday I'm going to treat myself to a great bottle of Cabernet and my favorite blue cheese, St. Augure (sp?). I feel it's warranted. I'll let you too ;)

Keep up the good work!

Day 24 w/ 24 workouts. Consistency has allowed me to finally work my pre-dawn run up to my favorite 5 mile out and back (while avoiding a re-curring injury). And it was mild out. And my wife again made me my "recovery" bfast: 2 fried eggs, pork with pepppers and onions and roasted sweet potatoes. Win, Win, Win!

That bfast has allowed me to eat smaller meals w/o snacking as I look to make my biggest gains (loss, really) in my "last" week. I'm eating plenty, mind you, its just that my meals satisfy me. Snacking is a thing of the past! My pants are definately fitting better and I've lost weight (yes I've checked) but I won't do the big reveal until next week.

My final W30 weekend will be augmented with a monster training weekend. It's all coming together and with the finish line in sight I'm determined to push for the absolute best results attainable.

You can too!

Day 11 here and still going strong! I honestly am really no longer craving bread or pasta what so ever anymore. My husband has even had bagels in the house with cream cheese and I don't even feel tempted. Cutting out sugar has also made fruit taste even sweeter to me already. It's insane, I never expected to notice a change in my cravings/taste so fast! I still miss cheese though, I don't think I'll ever get over that... what I wouldn't give for a big ol' wheel of brie! Yum! :P

I'm pretty hungry this morning though and am probably going to have to take an early lunch break so I can go home and eat. That's only because I woke up late this morning so I didn't have time to cook my usual eggs and veggies for breakfast. The only thing I had on hand that I could just grab and go this morning was an apple and a handful of olives. It did the trick for a little while but my stomach is already growling! I'm literally salivating over the leftover blackened chicken and garlic roasted broccoli and cauliflower sitting in my fridge at home just waiting for me. lol

Keep up the great work everybody!! Those of you that are almost done are doing awesome!! You are a great motivator to those of us who have just started or are closing in on the halfway point!

Day 28. Great story from last night. While I was at my workout my 14yo son 'remembered' that he needed treats for an activity he was attending at 6:30pm. So, my husband, who hadn't started dinner said, "well, I can go get stuff, but that mean you make dinner." My son took him up on it. So I came home to delicious chicken and vegi stir fry. My son had taken the ghee, chicken and then prepared and through in celery, onions, cactus, peppers, spinach and for fat, some black olives. He also added some spices. It was really good - and compliant!

By the way - is cactus a vegetable?

Oh wine and cheese!

I'm going 32 days but next Friday I'm going to treat myself to a great bottle of Cabernet and my favorite blue cheese, St. Augure (sp?). I feel it's warranted. I'll let you too ;)

Keep up the good work!

I want some bleu cheese too! I can't wait to make a nice medium rare steak and a bleu cheese crust, all melty and delicious. Oh hell I'm probably going to throw on some applegate farms bacon too. On a bed of arugula and spinach. I won't even use dressing. And a sweet potato with a little ghee and pumpkin pie spice and a nice big glass of red velvet wine..... It's the stuff dreams are made of.

Day 26 and my olfactory systems took a beating. Three hour drive to Melbourne, shopping then caught up with 2 friends at separate cafes. It was lunchtime and I was hit with the sights and smells of food. Non compliant of course:). Anyway back to the chamomile tea and great conversation. Ate way to late, 2pm for meal 1, then had a snack at 4.30pm. Had to pick up Chicken Nasi Goreng for my partner so once again my nostrils were assailed with smells.

Got over that quickly as well, now home and ready to tuck into turkey and veggies:)

What a day, happy to be home.

Have a good one everybody.

Day 19 in the bag. The changes I have made are starting to feel like a totally normal part of my life.

Still have not managed to start an exercise routine as yet. We have had the most terrible weather here in QLD and yet again we flooded in!!!

One odd thing I have noticed - I am becoming so much more tidier :-) perhaps it is because I have more energy!

I am also loving getting creative in the kitchen and experimenting with new ingredients! My bottle of coconut amino arrived today - YUMO!

Day 31(5): lost 6.8 lbs and went from 32% body fat to 29%. Progress. I don't have that much "weight" to lose which is why that number may seem small to some of you. The more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off. My main goal is to shed between five and eight pounds of fat. And if that 1.7lb-loss (which is a healthy loss) was fat? C-ya! I would like to be somewhere between 135lbs (on the low end) and 140lbs. 142 being my "happy weight". (What that means is I like to eat and a "happy weight" is easier to maintain!) And between 21% and 26% body fat. So I'm getting there. I have to maintain my 107 lbs of lean body mass no matter what to stay healthy. I can't change my lean body mass. It is what it is. You can control everything else. Hence, my focus on fat loss.

I did not document with pictures this time so I will add that to my second round. And my spare tire has gotten smaller. And, no, it's not the spare tire you all think of. This one is below the belt. Right around my tummy. Measure between the waist and the widest part of your hip...right there...smaller!!

The biggest thing for me was how my taste buds came alive. When a clementine tastes like candy and a Granny Smith apple tastes sweet you know something has changed. When you can really taste how sweet something is you can tell right away if there's sugar added to something. Salad dressing comes to mind. Almond butter. Ketchup...

This time around I want to overcome the snacking habit. And we're also encouraged to do another type of 30 day challenge. For me? Shopping. Unless it's a necessity don't buy it. I have plenty of clothes that don't fit (yet). If I've lived without whatever "it" is this long I can make it 30 days. (I did buy that new laptop I've been saving for yesterday...lol) There's the library for books and movies too. My book collection is out of control. Now, if I could just get one of our spare bedrooms converted to that library I want. Maybe for my birthday...

I am getting married June 21st and am going to rock my blush pink silk (yes, real silk) dress!

Day 31(5): lost 6.8 lbs and went from 32% body fat to 29%. Progress. I don't have that much "weight" to lose which is why that number may seem small to some of you. The more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off. My main goal is to shed between five and eight pounds of fat. And if that 1.7lb-loss (which is a healthy loss) was fat? C-ya! I would like to be somewhere between 135lbs (on the low end) and 140lbs. 142 being my "happy weight". (What that means is I like to eat and a "happy weight" is easier to maintain!) And between 21% and 26% body fat. So I'm getting there. I have to maintain my 107 lbs of lean body mass no matter what to stay healthy. I can't change my lean body mass. It is what it is. You can control everything else. Hence, my focus on fat loss.

I did not document with pictures this time so I will add that to my second round. And my spare tire has gotten smaller. And, no, it's not the spare tire you all think of. This one is below the belt. Right around my tummy. Measure between the waist and the widest part of your hip...right there...smaller!!

The biggest thing for me was how my taste buds came alive. When a clementine tastes like candy and a Granny Smith apple tastes sweet you know something has changed. When you can really taste how sweet something is you can tell right away if there's sugar added to something. Salad dressing comes to mind. Almond butter. Ketchup...

This time around I want to overcome the snacking habit. And we're also encouraged to do another type of 30 day challenge. For me? Shopping. Unless it's a necessity don't buy it. I have plenty of clothes that don't fit (yet). If I've lived without whatever "it" is this long I can make it 30 days. (I did buy that new laptop I've been saving for yesterday...lol) There's the library for books and movies too. My book collection is out of control. Now, if I could just get one of our spare bedrooms converted to that library I want. Maybe for my birthday...

I am getting married June 21st and am going to rock my blush pink silk (yes, real silk) dress!

Congrats on finishing your 30! You're amazing and you know it! Having an out of control book collection sounds like heaven. I definitely think you should make a library, with a window seat and over sized, over stuffed, super comfy chairs.

Made it to day 12 and coming up on my second weekend!! I forgot to set an alarm last night so never woke up for CrossFit this morning before work :( I'm bummed.

On the menu for today: I had 3 eggs fried in coconut oil for breakfast. For lunch I have some hot and spicy sausages from a local butcher that I'm going to fry up with some onion, mushrooms, bell pepper and jalapeno. Haven't figured out dinner yet though.

I going to the Arnold Classic this weekend in Columbus, OH and will have to avoid all the free samples! :unsure: I have a grocery list of things to make/bring with me so that I'm full and have no temptation to take any of their protein bars/shakes/etc. So far on the list I have sweet potato hummus, fresh veggies, hard boiled eggs, kale chips, and maybe some fresh fruit and homemade nut butter. (I'm going to be there/away from home for 2 days and it's going to be a fairly long drive.) Anybody else have any suggestions for what I can take with me?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Made it to day 12 and coming up on my second weekend!! I forgot to set an alarm last night so never woke up for CrossFit this morning before work :( I'm bummed.

On the menu for today: I had 3 eggs fried in coconut oil for breakfast. For lunch I have some hot and spicy sausages from a local butcher that I'm going to fry up with some onion, mushrooms, bell pepper and jalapeno. Haven't figured out dinner yet though.

I going to the Arnold Classic this weekend in Columbus, OH and will have to avoid all the free samples! :unsure: I have a grocery list of things to make/bring with me so that I'm full and have no temptation to take any of their protein bars/shakes/etc. So far on the list I have sweet potato hummus, fresh veggies, hard boiled eggs, kale chips, and maybe some fresh fruit and homemade nut butter. (I'm going to be there/away from home for 2 days and it's going to be a fairly long drive.) Anybody else have any suggestions for what I can take with me?

Make some beef jerky, you can use your oven and a couple of sirloins. Definitely the fresh fruit. Some avocados. Handfuls of nuts portioned in snack baggies, so you can throw them in your purse. I know larabars aren't ideal, but maybe a box of the compliant ones in the car just in case.

Sounds like fun. I wouldn't get too caught up in bringing much more of your own stuff. I had to travel a bit myself and was pleasantly surprised at the compliant opitons available. Yeah, it takes some effort (and will power) but it's not that difficult. You'll do fine.

Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself!

Today is day 31. I've lost 14 lbs. on W30 but better still I have gone down a size. The cravings are gone, but a little sugar demon rears its head once in a while in the evening. It's so good to be able to handle it and not give in. I'm sleeping better. I have more energy. I'll be continuing on to a W60 since I have more to work on. I don't post often, but it helps to check in and read others' encouraging words.

Thanks to all and have a good journey!

Patti

Archived