February 2013 Starters

Kate File

I recently found the Whole30 blog and decided to purchase the book, It Starts with Food. The information really hit home for me and as a result I've been toying & tinkering with the program for a little more than a week now. I'd like to join the group in the official Whole30 starting tomorrow, 2/04/13.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all-

I'm from Michigan and started Paleo about two weeks ago. I just got married in June and turn 39 in April. We want to start a family this year and I thought this was a great way to cleanse my body of toxins and lose weight. I am too heavy to get pregnant (I believe) and want to lose 25 lbs (really want to be down 50) before we start trying.

I saw the Whole30 while researching Paleo and thought this would be a great way to kick my bad habits...fast food and diet coke!

I love the post that someone said they were doing this for Lent...love love love!!! I wanted to get started right away and started on February 2, however I am going on a girls weekend to Chicago this next weekend. So I am using this week as practice, but will use the first day of Lent as well and do a Whole40!!!

So awesome!!!! I look foward to the support here. If the two weeks on Paleo are any indication, this is going to change my body. My hair, skin and overall feeling has never been better. What's really scary is how bad of a headach I have today and this is with two weeks on Paleo. I can't imagine the junk that is in my body.

I am looking foward to using this as a tool to start and complete and healthy pregnancy. We won't start trying until mid summer, so I am so excited to find the Whole 30 and this forum.

Good Luck everyone!!!

I just finished It Starts with Food and I'll be starting my first Whole30 tomorrow on Feb 4th. I competely believe in the paleo lifestyle, though I have not been following it recently. I'm excited to use the program to heal my body and as a foundation for a shift to an active paleo life. Looking forward to the adventure and getting to know you all along the way!

Hi

I'm on day three and happy to have this forum for support. I have been doing low carb, so no sugar, but I think the artificial sweeteners have kept the sugar demon nipping at my ankles. One of the hardest things has been stopping cream and sweetener in my coffee. Now I realize that my coffee is pretty bitter. I will try cold brewed.

I had a tough Day 1, but I am working to plan ahead more and have things available. Day 2 went much better!!!

I am happy to be here. This is my first Whole30, so I still feel like I'm adrift.

Try coconut milk in your coffee. It does leave a "film" on the top but may help you get through it. Frothing it helps too. Mainly because it puts a layer of "foam" on top so you can't see the greasy film. I have never put sugar in mine, just cream so I can drink it black. It has to be pretty smooth though. I have read that heavy cream is "paleo" but I have only seen it once, at Trader Joe's, and it has carrageenan in it...a no food for Whole30 so the search continues. Just stick with coco milk if you can't seem to get it down without cream and sugar. Let me know how the cold brew goes. My fiance is the cream and sugar type, although I did switch him to organic coconut sugar (granulated coconut nectar). That, I'm sure, is not Whole30 approved but he is not doing this with me... yet. He is 90% paleo right now. As far as I know, that is the only "sweet" he is getting. I don't know what he eats at work outside of what I pack for him...

Hey everyone!

I started on 31st January so I imagine we can say I'm doing it in February?! :)

So it's day 5 for me today... And I'm glad the day is finishing without having killed anyone. The evening was tough on me, I just wanted some peace and silence, and my 3 y old son was not ok with this! ;)

I'm in Belgium (Europe). If there's anyone else from Belgium too, I would be happy to hear from them... :)

I have been eating paleo since July 2011 but recently I have had surgery (gallbladder removal) and I had some difficulties coming back to my paleo eating habits afterwards because I couldn't digest anything but carbs in the first few weeks (but did never eat grains or milk again, just more carbs like potatoes, sweet potatoes and a lot of chocolate and sugary things :()... Don't know why or how I could have done it another way.

Any way I tried my best to go paleo again because I was feeling so good with it before surgery. I talked about this with my nutritionist and we found out that I was really vitamins depleted, and also iron, etc...

So now I'm taking a whole bunch of nutritional complements like vitamin B, magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc etc...

I must say this helps a lot. I have been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I'm feeling sooooo much better now!

Sometimes it's really not a question of will power!

That's because I really wanted to go back to these good feelings that I decided to make my first Whole30!

I'm veeeery happy with it because I can already feel I will soon be on tracks again, and maybe in a better way then before :)

This is awesome to be able to connect with people able to understand what we are going through, and to read other people's stories.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

pg. 173 & 174 in the book explain how "medium-chain triglycerides" (MCTs) are unique in that they don't require bile for digestion. This makes them a fantastic fat source if you have impaired liver function, digestion malabsorption conditions, or have had your gallbladder removed. Good sources: Coconut oil, Coconut butter/manna, coconut milk (canned) and coconut (meat or flakes). This book has become my bible. May read it over and over...

HI everyone. :) I would like to jump on the February train. I started on Jan 23, but plan to go through the rest of this month. I have been putting half a teaspoon of coconut oil or mct oil in my cold filtered coffee and then blitzing it on high in my blender. It sounds gross but it looks creamy, like a latte after it's been blitzed and helps me get more fat in the morning. It's a modified "bullet proof coffee".

My first post on a forum anywhere EVER! I think this forum will be a huge encouragement and fun thing since my husband is not on board with me...yet...mwa hahaha. Just wanted to say that I am a February starter as well..in for life, hopefully. I am hoping to find some answers to gut issues and terrible joint pain that increases when I do any sort of exercise. I am 25 and not overweight. (just holding on to 10 lbs of baby weight.) Just a couple a workouts in and my knees give out constantly and it is very unsafe hold my baby on stairs. Orthopedic surgeon and blood work says nothing is wring with me. well, I'd like to see their reaction when I fall out on the street when a knees gives out as I jovially step off the curb. Bon courage mon amis!

Hi, everyone! I wanted to stop in and introduce myself and say welcome also to all my fellow February starters! I am on Day 3 and am feeling AMAZING. When I got the Whole 30 Daily today with all the warnings about Day 3 being rough, I was a little suprised. I am already seeing better sleeping habits, a flatter stomach, and more energy. Most of all, GREAT BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL. My only complaints so far are an itchy rash on my neck and hands, but though itchy, it's not super visible to anyone but me. I hear this is normal as bad things "die off" though, so I am not too concerned.

I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life. It was not until my diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes (Type 1.5, LADA) after giving birth to my son that I became serious about my HEALTH, not just my weight. I have also experienced symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, as well as a lifetime of keratosis pilars/eczema that can be socially crippling. Migraines, depression, anxiety...you name it. I am a prime candidate for the Whole 30. I can already tell it's the answer for me just 3 days in. :)

Can't wait to get to know everyone better along the journey. Good luck to everyone!

My first post on a forum anywhere EVER! I think this forum will be a huge encouragement and fun thing since my husband is not on board with me...yet...mwa hahaha. Just wanted to say that I am a February starter as well..in for life, hopefully. I am hoping to find some answers to gut issues and terrible joint pain that increases when I do any sort of exercise. I am 25 and not overweight. (just holding on to 10 lbs of baby weight.) Just a couple a workouts in and my knees give out constantly and it is very unsafe hold my baby on stairs. Orthopedic surgeon and blood work says nothing is wring with me. well, I'd like to see their reaction when I fall out on the street when a knees gives out as I jovially step off the curb. Bon courage mon amis!

Welcome! I did my first one in Aug/Sept and this forum kept be going. I was on here everyday. There's a section to keep your own log, too, of each day, so that was really helpful for me.

Good luck!

Hi All,

My first post on this forum. I'm starting the Whole 30 today, February 4th, and I'm hoping this forum will help with accountability. I'm in the northeast US, so this is an admittedly difficult time of year to increase fruits and veggies. I'm very committed to doing this and the veg/protein combo isn't all that foreign to me. The part I'm struggling with is eliminating wine and cream for my coffee. In five weeks, I'll be headed on a warm vacation and would love to go feeling leaner and healthier.

Good luck to all!

My father and I are on day 4! Everything is great thus far except the frequent headaches. After reading through multiple forums, it looks like these are common in the first few days. Anyone else experiencing this?

I had a headache on Day One, which I blame on sugar withdrawal. It coincided with insane thoughts about ice cream and such, so I really think that's what it was. Also, if you were a big soda/latte/etc drinker before and have now moved on to mostly water, you may be having caffeine withdrawal too.

Welcome! 1st post ever? You will love the support and feedback you will get if you post regularly and surf the forum. Try starting up your own log in the forum called "your whole30 log" (under community forum). Write up your daily food and thoughts. Apart from feedback, It's great having your own record to go back to and see how far you come.

I am planning to start on Friday Feb. 8. I just signed up today and Thursday is my day off so I can shop and plan. Does anyone know how I can change my "start" date. When I signed up I mistakenly selected tomorrow Feb. 5 as my start date.

Email them and I'm sure they'll fix it up.

For 2nd timers, I just signed up for second lot of emails and its only $5! Good deal as I really like the daily reminders. And easier to have them redelivered than search thru my old emails.

My father and I are on day 4! Everything is great thus far except the frequent headaches. After reading through multiple forums, it looks like these are common in the first few days. Anyone else experiencing this?

I actually kinda like the headaches! It's like having sore muscles after your first day skiing or a gym workout. If you are eating all healthy food and you have a headache it can only be your body detoxing. Getting used to no sugar.

Take some panadol if they are too bad though.

Hi, I just started today. I'm reading ISWF and have another book on the way. So much of what I've read on blogs has been so encouraging. I would like to lose 50 pounds but mainly am interested in feeling better. I have anxiety, I sleep poorly if at all, and I'm always exhausted. I know I eat junk but I'm so drawn to it for a quick fix it's never a treat anymore but habit. Good to read everyone's posts!

I was so busy surfing the forums and reading my daily email that i burnt my roast kumera! had to start again!

but i have now Just made my first ever frittata! With eggs, coconut milk, onion, kumera, mushrooms and cauliflower and carrot. And it's very nice. Handy for a quick breaky.

And at the same time I made a lamb curry with my leftover roast lamb and all the same veggies as the frittata. Multi tasking!

post-2990-0-23239200-1360033230_thumb.jp

Hi there

I started the whole30 on the 1st Feb. I live in Perth, Western Australia. :)

I'm looking forward to the new challenge. I've previously done other programs but I really wanted something new which I had to think for myself. I also have a really bad dependence on the sugar demon. I dont drink soft drinks or anything but I do have EPIC sugar cravings for lollies and chocolate.

Whilst my goal is to lose weight, right now I'm looking at it as a by-product of being healthier and happier by eating better. I exercise regularly but I think the sugar I consume (regardless of a little/none or anything I can find that particular day) counter acts any possible benifits i may get from exercise.

I'm on day 5 at the moment, and I'm enjoying it, but i'm hungry all the time!!! Even after I just eat. Then I think of the fish and broccolli and think, "yeah totes - I want to eat that!". It probably doesnt help that I love fish and I love broccoli, but,.... :) According to one of the emails its normal (?) while your body is reconfiguring to processing fat and not sugar, see how we go eh? Either way less sugar is not a bad thing. :)

That Frittata look delicious!!! Kate File!! guess what I'm making tonight!!

Archived