February 2013 Starters

Kate File

This is day 18 of my W30, but only day 3 of my AIPW30. Yesterday, I felt awful. About 6 pm i just wanted to go to bed because I felt crummy and did not want to be awake any longer. Since I have chronic insomnia, that did not happen. Still, I woke feeling much better this morning. I have no idea if it is nuts or nightshades or eggs or what, but not eating those things is definitely giving me a second period of what feels like withdrawal.

I think one of the hardest things to give up has been my scale. Who knew? I now call it the scale of good and evil, because I unconsciously used it to determine how I felt each day. Today, my pants fit better. I love that feeling. I am slowly starting to pay attention to how I feel instead of "the number."

I hope everyone in the path of the blizzard is safe and warm.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started my first Whole 30 (never done anything like this before) on 2/4. Things have really been going well. Aside from a few light headaches and one really bad migraine, doing really well! A little upset this morning when I made my eggs and realized I hadn't read the spice bottle close enough. There is brown sugar in it, but its hidden in the middle and I missed it. Didn't know if I should start over with Day 1 tomorrow or just keep moving. Any suggestions?

I wrapped up week one, and am feeling pretty good. Can't lie...being shut in the house due to a blizzard makes the cravings go bezerk! It's likely all in my head based on all of my friends posting on facebook about the sweets and booze they planned on consuming this weekend. Although I found myself to be jealous last night, I kind of feel like I am way better off today!

In the upcoming week, I plan on focusing on my plate composition, as well as getting back on my training schedule. I keep a journal on my blog here (in case you are interested in the details :)) - http://www.fancygreenbee.com/

Started yesterday, but today is officially day 1 of my Whole30. I have tried so many "diet" programs to lose weight and feel better, I am hoping that this is the solution that truly works for me. I also have food addiction issues, and I like the way the book addresses these types of issues with warnings about certain foods and such. I am also training for a half marathon, and will soon start training for a half-iron distance triathlon. Both of these will be much easier with a good diet and without the extra 50 pounds that I carry with me.

I will be starting my first Whole30 on Monday! I am excited and terrified all at the same time! lol :) I am planning out my meals for the week to do my grocery shopping tomorrow. Not looking forward to doing my pre-weight and measurements tomorrow. But can't wait to see what this does for my body and my relationship with food! Pretty sad when you spend the weekend before your Whole30 bingeing on all the foods you're going to "miss" during the 30 days. Wish me luck!

8pm,8.01pm,8.02pm,8.03pm and there it is my Whole Daily email!!! Yay, I think I need to get a life, just joking, I have one:)

Day 7 in the bag.

Starting to feel unreal. Was not much wrong with my eating to begin except for developing a habit if eating local homemade jam with coconut cream!!

Can't believe how the taste buds have come alive. Eating meals slowly rather than being a scovosaurus, no mood swings from the sugar and a sense of calm.

Skin is glowing thanks to the copious amounts of water being consumed.

Hope everybody else is experiencing amazing changes along the way too.

Funny thing I have noticed. Finding that my reading and iPhone game taste has changed. Now require stuff that feeds my mind rather than mindless stuff that doesn't.

Walked into a bookstore yesterday and the guy gave me a couple of options before asking what was need. Automatic response was "give me something to feed my brain" Go figure.

Anybody else had an epiphany. Would love to here about it:)

Anyway, everybody keep up the great work and have a fantastic rest of the day :)

Oh, 30 with 30 sounds like a great idea!! I am on day 6 and have done a workout (HIIT) everyday. i think i'll do 30 with 30 too, if you dont mind me borrowing your idea. i have been a bit lagging in energy but I tell myself it is just mental. But I do notice my reps are more challenging.... Good luck!!

Please enjoy, no trademarks here ;)

I agree it's mental and I find when I commit to something like this it forces me out of bed (i w/o from 5:30 6:30) especially when I don't feel like. Key is to know every workout will vary in intensity but getting something done is way better than not moving! I often find that some of my best w/o's are those that come on days I don't even want to start, Taking that first step is the most important - similar to W30. Keep at it!

I will be starting my first Whole30 on Monday! I am excited and terrified all at the same time! lol :) I am planning out my meals for the week to do my grocery shopping tomorrow. Not looking forward to doing my pre-weight and measurements tomorrow. But can't wait to see what this does for my body and my relationship with food! Pretty sad when you spend the weekend before your Whole30 bingeing on all the foods you're going to "miss" during the 30 days. Wish me luck!

I transitioned into my W30 so I didn't feel the need to binge. The last thing I gave up was sugar and I didn't even really binge on that the day before. You'll probably feel better if you don't do it. Just sayin'...

Day 7 beginning for me and I must say I feel fantastic. I posted a full update on the thread I started a few weeks ago (Starting in February, with many obstacles) so feel free to read the full update on my progress there. As far as the improvements I have already noticed, my taste buds have also come alive Suzy1 and my energy levels already are much improved. Its surreal!

Hi everyone! I started my Whole30 today. It's only 9:30am, but I'm feeling excited and motivated. Ate a Zesty Italian Breakfast Bake this morning...delicious! I transitioned into this the last week, so hopefully the sugar dragon will be easy to tame. I plan to get online and visit blogs/message boards when the cravings strike. I've looked at the whole month ahead, and foresee two large challenges when I have to go to 2 work conferences, 2 days each. Good luck everyone!

Also started today. Breakfast down, workout done and lots of cooking to do for the week ahead. Excited and still a little doubtful I can do this, just taking one meal, day, week at a time.

You CAN do this!

This weekend I passed on birthday cake, mexican restaurant chips and pizza. If I can do it, you can do it! I'm just on day 3 but I know, we can do it together.

Day 8 over and done with. Just did a half $&@"sed workout but that could be attributed to lack of sleep and a six hour drive back home today. Still not over energised yet even though I feel good and spirits are high.

Have a great rest of the day everybody and stay strong:)

Day 7 w/ 7 Workouts. A littler hard to get out of bed (and get on the trainer) this morning but aren't Mondays always? Workout done though!

Did my first major shopping yesterday and realized you can't really shop in the middle aisles at all! A revelation. Menu set for the next few days and a week is almost in the books.

Keep at it all. This forum inspires. Februarians are awesome!

Ugh, Girl Scout Cookie delivery day at the office. I wish I could take a sick day...just kidding. I am doing a good job turning a blind eye.

Just wanted to chime in and say I TOTALLY agree about the taste buds coming alive. Last night my husband and I went to the movies, so of course I brought my own snacks in. I went to the Trader Joes close to the theater and got a package of one of the carageenan-free Applegate Farms deli meats, some dry roasted, unsweetened cashews & almonds, and some unsulfured/unsweetened dried mango. I was SO content with these snacks that my husband's popcorn and soda didn't even phase me. What I was amazed by, though, was how "sweet" the nuts tasted, even though they were clearly unsweetened. I am really able to taste the nuances of natural flavors now -- it's so exciting!

So today is day 11 for me. Overall I am feeling good. Spare tire is losing air. Allergy symptons seem to be disappearing. Skin good.

However, there is one issue that both my hubby and I are struggling with. Neither one of us have found much in vegitables or vegitable preparation that we can stomach for breakfast. I am positive why our energy levels drop off so fast in the late morning. We are definitely getting in our protein and fruit, but... Any thoughts would be helpful!

p.s. neither of us had done anything like this before and my dh the cook hasn't experimented much with vegi's either - he had always been the meat & potato/rice/pasta guy. :wacko:

Finished Day 7 last night and I'm feeling great. I thought it was hilarious that the Day 7 daily email said to beware over-eating Sweet Potato fries even though they are technically Paleo. Ha! Three times in the first week isn't the problem. The anticipation while they are cooking is! I'll have to watch that particular meal, though I plan on it hitting my plate a few more times before the 30 days is up!

Feeling better, clothes looser, it's all going well. All meals compliant and health-building.

Starting round two today after an awesome round 1 and a total weekend bender of sweets and fat. It was fun weekend, but I feel horrible now and am really excited about seeing results again.

In round 1 my mind was clearer, my mood was more stable, and I lost 5 pounds of fat. The six pack was clearly visible again, which is nice. I'd say my winter depression is way less than last year (I live in Washington State), so that's nice. It could be Whole 30 or it could be the Christmas spend in Hawaii - not sure. :D

Round 2 will be easier because we've experimented with recipes, found some good go-to meal choices, and found places to buy paleo for way cheaper (hint: Costco).

Round 2 will be tougher because the novelty and excitement is gone. The most drastic results bodywise have probably already taken place, so it will be incremental improvement from here. It's going to take more discipline, more journaling, and more talking with my wife about how we stay on track and finish as strong in round 2 as we did in round 1.

Looking forward to it.

Jeff

So today is day 11 for me. Overall I am feeling good. Spare tire is losing air. Allergy symptons seem to be disappearing. Skin good.

However, there is one issue that both my hubby and I are struggling with. Neither one of us have found much in vegitables or vegitable preparation that we can stomach for breakfast. I am positive why our energy levels drop off so fast in the late morning. We are definitely getting in our protein and fruit, but... Any thoughts would be helpful!

p.s. neither of us had done anything like this before and my dh the cook hasn't experimented much with vegi's either - he had always been the meat & potato/rice/pasta guy. :wacko:

I prepare ground pork with onions and red peppers ahead of time. Then, in the morning as it's heating, I throw in 2 handfuls of spinach. When wilted, I add 2 eggs and scramble. 5 minutes. Not a whole lot of veggies but a decent start to the day. And delicious!

I have been having steamed green beans and I drizzle with homemade mayo thinned with lemon juice and extra black pepper as a sauce. Also baked sweet potato or sweet potato hash.

Archived