February 2013 Starters

Kate File

However, there is one issue that both my hubby and I are struggling with. Neither one of us have found much in vegitables or vegitable preparation that we can stomach for breakfast. I am positive why our energy levels drop off so fast in the late morning. We are definitely getting in our protein and fruit, but... Any thoughts would be helpful!

Sweet Potato & Sausage (homemade with ground pork & spices) Hash is my morning go-to for getting veggies in. I chop peppers, onions, and sometimes mushrooms, squash, or zucchini super small and pan fry it coconut oil with the sausage and pre-roasted diced sweet potato. All the veggies get a great, sweet caramelization that makes them easier for me to stomach in the morning. I am with you-- I can't do any veggie that feels too "raw" in the morning. I make the hash in huge portions in advance so that I can just microwave a portion when needed.

I have also been making little breakfast fritattas in muffin liners with the same veggies, maybe plus spinach. These can also be made in advance and heated up quickly.

Saturday morning I heated up some dinner leftovers for breakfast (pork & sauerkraut with collard greens), but this was a late breakfast-- like 10:30 or so. I don't think I could eat that early in the morning without feeling a little queasy.

HTH! :)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to share my food dream. I am 11 days in and I had the dream a couple nights ago. : I should have known it wasn't reality b/c in the dream I left my 7 month old baby in the shopping cart alone while I ran out to the car to get something. No sane mother would do that...Anyway, I ate some Wild Berry Pop-Tarts and then a couple bites of macaroni and cheese. When I realized what I had done I felt sooo much anger at myself for forgetting. I was awake for a couple minutes before I discovered it was only a dream. Sadly, I did not get to enjoy the dream cheat like some do. I am pretty sure I dreamt about pop tarts b/c I was recently telling my husband how frequently I ate them as a kid/teen. The mac and cheese was out of the blue, though.

Hi everyone. Day 2 and still feeling good! I'm interested in finding a "buddy" (as suggested my my Whole30 Daily email). Someone who has some similarities to me. I'm in my late 20s, mother of one, part time nurse, outdoor lover. I'd love to find someone to chat with, share recipes with and vent to. Let me know if you are interested!

P.S. As I re-read this it sounds kinda weird/stalker-ish. I'm really not crazy ;)

Hi everyone. Day 2 and still feeling good! I'm interested in finding a "buddy" (as suggested my my Whole30 Daily email). Someone who has some similarities to me. I'm in my late 20s, mother of one, part time nurse, outdoor lover. I'd love to find someone to chat with, share recipes with and vent to. Let me know if you are interested!

P.S. As I re-read this it sounds kinda weird/stalker-ish. I'm really not crazy ;)

I could be your buddy. I'm 28, have 2 kids, a 6 and 1 year old. I'm currently on day 11.

Oh and I'm only slightly crazy and stalkerish

Hi there,

My husband and I started today and plan to add our kids (ages 16 months, 5 and 7) next week once we've got the hang of this. We are already phasing them in but man, I am realizing how much dairy and wheat are staples for the older two! I am also nursing which is the initial reason I wanted to visit this forum. All three of my kids have had a dairy intolerance they outgrew by age 2. I am very curious to see how they respond to this, and what we find out about their reactions to various foods, esp dairy and gluten. My main goals are to identify my food sensitivities and have more energy. I also hope my 16 month old sleeps better. :)

Yay Jessica! I have no idea how to post/chat or anything like that. I thought I was fairly tech-savy but apparently not! I'm 28 too and have a 1 year old (Noah - born 1/7/12)

I'm not sure either! haha I just started on these forums! Gigi is a mere 10 days older than Noah (12/29/2011) Are you feeding Noah a paleo diet as well?

Was intrigued so made my first kale chips last night. I overlooked them and over seasoned them but I could see the potential. A bit weird but a good alternative when others are eating real chips. Who on earth thought of kale chips!

Went to my local organic shop, About Life, in Balmain and spent a fortune, over $200, but it did include organic chicken and sausages. I stocked up on coconut oil and milk and nuts. Bought several packs of "activated" nuts..... Will have to read up on that again and see if it is important...they are much more expensive.

Also bought walnut butter. I have loved my almond butter (compliant) but they were out of stock.

You should have seen me, walking around with my mini magnifying glass with its own light, analyzing all the labels, - I felt a bit eccentric! Some of those labels are designed to be too small to read, and the impossible yellow ink ones! Ha, I fixed them!

Didn't buy it but saw they had goose fat from France! Wow! I drew the line at duck fat. Also the label didn't say much, like whether they were nice free range natural eating geese.... Haha, I don't even know what good geese are meant to eat!!!

Finished Day 7 last night and I'm feeling great. I thought it was hilarious that the Day 7 daily email said to beware over-eating Sweet Potato fries even though they are technically Paleo. Ha! Three times in the first week isn't the problem. The anticipation while they are cooking is! I'll have to watch that particular meal, though I plan on it hitting my plate a few more times before the 30 days is up!

Feeling better, clothes looser, it's all going well. All meals compliant and health-building.

I love them too but be careful. It's better to make your own. I noticed all the non W30 ingredients added to the bag of Alexia we bought. On a side note...I made sweet potato hummus today. Yumm-o.

Was intrigued so made my first kale chips last night. I overlooked them and over seasoned them but I could see the potential. A bit weird but a good alternative when others are eating real chips. Who on earth thought of kale chips!

I'm addicted to kale chips. I've made them several times this week. A big bunch of kale is only 99 cents at my market! I add a tablespoon of olive oil, toss well, and spread them out on a cookie sheet, then lightly add salt and pepper. I cook them for 10 minutes on 350, toss and add a few minutes as needed, keeping a close eye on them after 10 minutes. I've burnt many batches! I've found that darker cookie sheets need less time than lighter ones. They're sooooooo good and I love that I'm eating kale now. It's so good for you!

I am starting my first whole thirty today and I am super excited. I have a killer headache but I know it can't last forever (right?). I have been eating Paleo for several months now but I am nervous about no Paleo desserts (I have a bad sweet tooth.) Also just starting Crossfit and I am absolutely loving it! I have two daughters, one ten months and one two, and I'm hoping to set a good example and establish a good, healthy relationship with food. Good Luck to everyone!!

OMG hit the I need to start my whole 30 all over button by mistake cos I am writing this on my iPhone. Totally freaked out however rectified the problem.

Day nine done and dusted and I am feeling amazing!! Such a change from yesterday. Smashed my Crossfit workout, best I have felt in ages. Energy to burn, workout done, house cleaned, fridge cleaned.

For everybody who is just starting stay focussed because the rewards are Amazing!!

Remember nothing tastes as good as feeling good:)

Yummy dinner, poached salmon, salad, baked beet root yum!

One thing I noticed my appetite has diminished greatly.

Hope everybody has had a wonderful day:)

Day 14! Whoohoo! Got a massage scheduled for 9:00 then to the hairstylist at 10:45! Yay me!

So glad I started this journey. We have been engaged almost a year now and were planning a December wedding in the Bahamas but we were thinking about how to get the most bang for our vacation buck and remembered our favorite vacation of all time was to our favorite vacation spot of all time...Siesta Key in late June. What's not to love about 16 hours of daylight? In December it's dark by 6:00 and the sun doesn't come up until almost 8:00! So that's less than 12 hours of daylight. What a waste. So...two weeks in SK it is. Get married on the longest day of the year, the first day of Summer. Awesome. Hence, I'm glad I started this journey.

I do feel like I have a bit more energy. And that's saying a lot because I am normally a pretty high-energy kind of girl. Went for a run/walk yesterday in the park. Wonderful. The sun was out. It was 40 degrees. Love it.

Believe it or not, I just planned my 2nd round! (April 25th, leaving time to finish the W30 and the 13 days of re-introduction that follows.)

I want to do one more before all the June festivities. Our nephew is getting married June 8 so we will have that to contend with but with all my knowledge and my new-found taste buds I can probably pass on the wedding cake or just enjoy three bites. (Remember in ISWF when she said you really, only truly enjoy the first couple of bites? So true.) I'd rather have a glass or two of wine to be honest. I am in this to slay my Sugar Dragon and never let it control my life again.

Didn't wake up hungry like yesterday. It could be because I ate less at dinner Sunday night? I don't know. I am still trying to figure this out... :unsure:

I'm not sure either! haha I just started on these forums! Gigi is a mere 10 days older than Noah (12/29/2011) Are you feeding Noah a paleo diet as well?

Hi Jessica. If you find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/emily.anderson.754?ref=tn_tnmn then private message me and I'll give you my email. Maybe that would be the best way to be buddies :)

Day 8 w/ 8 - 8th workout done - an awesome bike/run. Then I "cheated". Yup, I got on the scale. Frankly i started this to lose weight (as I imagine most do). I needed to validate it and it motivates me to stay the course. It may not be on the plan, but I am 100% food compliant and that is where I will draw the line. I plan on weighing myself once a week.

As a guy, simply giving up beer and bread has always been my remedy for weight loss, especially in the first week. Not suprisngly, it was good week but I'll spare you (the ladies especially) the details.

I don't mean to persuade others or rock the boat in anyway, it's just something that works for me. Stay the course all! On to week two!!

I started Whole30 on Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 and am at Day 3; I did a stone age diet 20 years ago that helped me figure out soy and raspberry allergies and this Whole30 is similar although there is so much more available now in terms of support, recipes, and tips that I am really psyched. Glad I read my labels as my bacon from Whole Foods is going to my trainer (maple sugar added). Hanging in there and will probably check in again when hanging on the edge. Good luck to everyone.

I started yesterday. I lost 40# on weightwatchers and doing Crossfit, but the last year has seen me sink back into bad eating habits and too much sugar, starch and wine ... and mindless eating. I've gained about half back and seen my "almost" pullup go back to "not even close" pullup. I'm 49 and in the throes of nightsweats and poor sleeping and anxiety. I just want to feel better again! I want to feel good in my clothes. I feel very motivated. I've got my children's buy in - they are doing this with me, but specifically eliminating sugar. I'm looking forward to reading and being motivated by people's victories. I want to give myself these thirty days, not consider them a punishment. The gift is not feeling ashamed of what I ate the day before and sleeping better and feeling better in my clothes and maybe seeing that pullup become a potential again.

I just started my first Whole30 yesterday and I would love to join the February Starters group This decision has been a slow build for me. I've taken time to gather information, read some Paleo related books and get my head around this new approach. I've never taken a lead on meal planning and preparation in my household, so taking on the cooking challenge was a big goal for me as well. I'm pleased to say that as of Day 2 I am already feeling more empowered in the kitchen! Looking forward to seeing this next 30 days through and making it a permanent change!

Starting my second W30 on the 13th--first one was in January. I found it fantastic, and was slow to reintroduce, as I hadn't really missed much, and felt so good. That said, I did try the things that I thought I'd missed, but really in the end, it was mostly a 'meh' experience.

So! This second time around, I am participating more as a support for Teen Daughter #1, who wants to make the positive change she saw unfold in me last month. So, I look forward to doing this with her and for me! I have some goals this time around, which include upping my activity. I have a marathon and a half walk that both my daughter and I do each May, so I need to get going on the activity levels.

Anyway, look forward to hearing how all are doing!

Day ten, and OMG the cravings! My daughter had some cookies as a treat tonight, and hubby had to give them to her because I didn't trust myself. I thought I was failing, but than checked the day by day...seems this is right on target. Anyone else one dangers step away from the sugar bowl?

Day 10 and 11 were the hardest for me! I even wrote a post that first night! http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7165-i-would-punch-a-kid-for-some-chocolate-right-now/ I had a dream that night that I was at Sonic with my parents and I was so hungry I was just going to eat the fast food and my mom started crying because she didn't want me to give up! So I didn't eat it! The next night the same chocolate craving but not quite as intense. I made applesauce with berries and nuts warmed up, took a few bites and realized I was trying to make a dessert so I threw it out! And today...... I just finished Day 12 and it's been a breeze! Good luck!

Hi everybody, Day 10 in the bag. Oodles of energy even after a ten hour work day and got home and straight out to do my Crossfit WOD. Was attempting to convince myself I was tired after a long day as I would have been 10 days ago.

Stay strong new starters. It is so worth it. Loving the journey.

Have a great rest of the day.

Woke up today in Day 15. So...I'm in my third week. I think I may be the one most ahead in this group? Anyway, this morning I hit the snooze alarm and realized after about a minute or so that I was awake. I usually fall right back to sleep before my hand hits the bed after hitting the snooze. Huh...We turned out the lights a little after 9 and alarm goes off at 4:30. That's 7 1/2 hours. I usually have to use the bathroom constantly but since I've been making a real effort to get my two liters of water every day I'm not constantly in the bathroom. If I don't get that much water I pay serious UTI consequences. Not. Fun. So, I only got up once to use the bathroom. I did try the magnesium supplement for the first time last night but I highly doubt it made that much of a difference. But, not feeling so groggy first thing this morning was a pleasant surprise.

Going to take the advice in the book and try some new recipes these next two weeks. The sweet potato hummus was a success. Going to try the plantain crackers again (cooked them too long) and I'm going to make the Velvety Butternut Squash, Shepherd's Pie and Baba Ghanoush from Well Fed and some Faux Potato Salad with my new-found favorite, five ingredient mayonnaise, five! I bought parsnips yesterday too. Amazing how your grocery cart looks completely different now huh?!

On a side note...moved the belt in one hole. Progress. And booking the vacation condo today!

I started yesterday, and had a good day, except I went to bed feeling a bit hungry. I'm spending today doing more meal planning, because I know if I get hungry I'm going to want something fast. I tried a Whole 30 over the summer and made it 12 days, but now I'm ready to refocus my goals and motivation. My main goal is to get the most out of exercising while on the Whole 30, so that I can set up some good habits for after it's over.

Archived