February 2013 Starters

Kate File

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi my name is Jojo and I am a sugar addict...

i've been addicted for as long as i can remember.... but didn't know it until now...

i cannot name a span of time that i have gone FOUR DAYS without a pack of gum...

day four is going along pretty much as predicted... i am a bit crabby... irritated and annoyed... the guy next to me on the treadmill had the speed at 4.7 and incline at 5 and was holding on for dear life to keep up... i wanted to slap him and tell him to slow it down and use the machine without clinging to it like a lifeline.... it was grating me... finally my inner peace found her voice and reminded me that it is none of my business how this man does his workout... why do i care... pay attention to my workout but i really was annoyed at him... thank god i didn't cause a scene at the gym... they didn't know this is day four without my sugar fix....

for the past year and a half i have prided myself on my paleo eating habits.. fresh and very clean and thought i was usually making good choices.. i don't think i had any idea what my constant gum chewing was doing to my brain and body.. and also my daily treat or three of dark chocolate... and wine... one glass while preparing dinner.. . one at dinner... a little more with my chocolate square before bed... all very good quality... organic... and loaded with sugars... i find myself thinking i am hungry and then i think.. really? are you hungry or do you just want to put something in your mouth... (my husband had a suggestion for that ... but really?? dude... not on day four) i find myself craving fruit so i am not allowing that as a snack... even when combined with something else... it just feeds the dragon... and i had no idea before i started W30 that i was this much of a mess!

Hi my name is Jojo and I am a sugar addict...

i've been addicted for as long as i can remember....

Ha Jojo, that was funny. But i totally get it! i was also paleo except a nice red wine and some** dark chocolate. (actually LOTS and EVERY day). And OMG, fruit triggers me SO much. i have decided to avoid it the remainder of my days.

Hang in there. And good luck with the goof at the gym. WHY do people do that?!?!

Michele

Jojo you are a crack up. Thanks for the giggle.

Day 16 done. Love reading the posts and being part of the Feb 2013 team.

Big day at work and then smashed my WOD.

Looking forward to a good sleep tonight as it has been very warm here.

BTW just received the book The Power if Habit by Charles Duhigg and I am hooked. Luckily I have 3 days off work so guess what I am going to be doing:). Highly recommend it.

Have a sensatiomite day/night (combination of sensational and dynamite, which you all are):)

Day 15 w/ 15 workouts - Observations at the halfway point:

• I haven't had the major ups and downs which many report perhaps bc milk and sugar hadn't played a big role in my diet;
  • I do miss bread though;
  • no noticable changes in skin, waistline, sleep or energy. no headaches either;
  • TMI warning: I'm not as "regular" as I used to be, though eating more fruit seems to have alleviated that;
  • I agree with the book; this is not hard. Challenging yes, but not hard. Perhaps this thinking comes from being an endurance athlete (of sorts). Consistency is the key to success in any such endeavour. It's 99.9% mental. It's really about choices. And there is only one person who controls that. Or deals with the consequences.
  • Full disclosure; I've had my doubts, my "is it worth it? "moments. And I still do. I've weighed myself once each week (taboo, I know) and have seem some progress but not what I'd hoped for. I see value in their "no scale" approach as not seeing any tangible results is tricky menatlly. I also wonder what I'll do after 30 days as I'm still waiting for that "ah ha" moment. But I'm committed to the full 30 days and I think that helps in staying the course. And so I will. Time to soldier on. 15 down, 15 to go!

day 15. lost it today and ate several huge spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter right out of the jar. yuck. trying to satisfy that 'i just want yummy and flavorful in my mouth' feeling.

still on the program but disappointed with myself.

Michele

Michele- At least you are holding yourself accountable and realizing it when you take a misstep. Too be honest I had 2 days last week I gorged myself on nuts and raisins sprinkled with a little bit of pumpkin spice. It's so tasty and too much like a treat for me. I had to work a 6 day work week with 2 of those being double shifts. Even though I took my food to work with me, I was so busy I couldn't seem to get a proper meal. I'm a bartender so being on my feet for 10 hours with no break, plus very little food left me tired and famished by the time I got home. Instead of cooking something balanced and healthy I ate nuts and raisins in excess 2 days in a row. It made me feel gross the next day. I was also disappointed with myself, but glad it's easier to recognize when I am not doing things properly and make adjustments to keep it from happening again. Nobody's perfect, so moving on and glad I just stumbled instead of falling flat on my face.

Good Luck darling with the rest of your 30!

Day 17...and now the days are flying by!

I got myself back in the gym this week, and the change in workout energy is totally noticable. I am able to sustain a high level of energy for an entire one hour spin class, and don't feel like a nap after. That is a big change for me. In the past, I would take the class and be generally useless for the day. I'm registered for a half marathon in May, and the training starts next week. I think the build up is going to be good for me!

This morning I ate breakfast first thing (generally a challenge...I can get going just fine, but couldn't get my brain to want to eat) around 7am. While I was at work, I looked at the clock and realized it was noon, and I wasn't starving. I ate a modest (and delish) lunch and was totally satisfied. This is not the same habit I have had in the past...at all!

Also, picked up Well Fed over the weekend. If you haven't bought it yet...go right now and get it. I love that the recipes are (with the exception of the dressings) are not Paleo versions of common foods. Really looking forward to trying some new things.

Ok folks. Brutal honesty needed. Today i made a conscious slip up by taking some bites of my bosses world famous pound cake that comes out just once a year. I totally thought it through and made the choice. But now my stomach hurts and i wonder if i messed it all up. Must i start over?

So yesterday, my first day, was great, except that I got a terrible headache toward the end of the day (I suffer from chronic headaches so it may or may not be due to carb withdrawal). I woke up with it this morning, but after a big breakfast, some coffee, and tons of water I felt better.

Lunch was not so great. My university does not have a lot of good choices for food (we do, however, have three subways on campus. Why?), so I headed to the restaurant the prides itself on fresh and local ingredients. I was going to get some sweet potato fries, but I asked and they are fried in corn oil. Instead I went for a salad with chicken. Well, first of all there was a laughably small amount of chicken on there, and second of all there were chickpeas. I took those off. The dressing was supposed to be a balsamic vinaigrette but it was suspiciously creamy so I skipped it. I was still hungry so I got a larabar and some coffee. This was all less than an hour ago and I'm hungry again! At least I have a steak and plenty of vegetable choices at home for dinner.

Day 13 is going much better than my day 9 where I wanted to give up. Thank goodness I did not give up!! Want to start working out three times a week. I have noticed if I don't eat I get a headache? Sometimes I am not hungry but force myself to eat since we have to eat 3 meals. Other than that my dinners have been delicious and I am learning to tweak my routine so I am better prepared.

I also can't believe how expensive whole foods is! I bought like 10 things and spent 123 dollars! WTH! I did find a sprouts that I like and shop at Costco and trader joes which are more reasonable. Anyway, just a lttle update so I can stay connected and accountable!

day five... and starving again all day... i do well up until i eat and then it seems i can't get full... i don't like to eat before i go to the gym.. so usually breakfast is around 11 and i try to wrap up dinner by 7ish... so i don't eat after 8pm... i go to bed hungry... wake up starving... cup of coffee usually settles that down so i can go to gym... but then i came home and eat.. this morning it was 2 eggs some steak 1/4 of an avocado and a handful of raspberries... finished it and still felt like i could eat more... wouldn't allow it because I JUST ATE.. a few hours later i had some chicken pieces and radishes... then some beef wrapped up in roasted red peppers and the other 1/4 of avocado... an hour or so later i had a (OK COUPLE) handfuls of cashews and raisins... and now 2 hours have passed and i am starving... what is going on?? is this normal?? i think i drink a fair amount of water... any ideas or just will power to NOT EAT!!

Day 8 here - we had a great weekend, and today was a work day at home for me. I felt pretty good all day, though when I did get out of the house for a bit, I felt SUPER crabby and irritated. Not sure why - I haven't felt like that since the 2nd or 3rd day. I am not really having any cravings, and have been drinking a lot of water with Jasmine Green Tea...delish! Hubby is starting to feel his pants get looser - which I think is really helping him feel better about what we are doing.

One thing that I have been really trying to do over the last week is listen to podcasts by Paleo "experts" such as Everyday Paleo, etc. The information is great, but it also helps to keep focused on what my goals are in completing the Whole 30 - to change not only my way of eating, but my life as a whole. I am really looking forward to the effects of doing this Whole 30 will have on our lifestyle, etc.

Personally, I have had some issues over the last few years with sciatic/IT band, and I am now thinking about removing nightshades for the last 2 weeks to see if that helps with pain/inflammation. I really didn't think about that at all until I heard about people's experiences of getting rid of pain/inflammation via the podcasts. I would be pretty sad to not be able to eat tomatoes and peppers, etc. but would be ridiculously excited if it helps with those issues.

So, things are going well, looking forward to another day!

Day 17 done. One thing I have to be careful of is to make sure to eat enough and also to take a rest day from working out.

Spent a couple of hours blackberrying and then made blackberry jam with about 2/3rds less sugar than required. Partner sampled it and he loved it:). Back to get some more tomorrow to freeze.

Goodies from the garden today, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, basil, oregano and two eggs. Can't wait for the walnuts to ripen(gotta beat the cockatoos). Days like today I am grateful for the move to the country cos I wouldn't have the time or space for a garden living in Melbourne:)

Have a fabulous day/night peeps.

I got ahead of myself by one day on my last post. Today I woke up in Day 22. Yesterday I made the decision to soldier on and do another 30. I just don't feel like I'm experiencing all of the benefits I should be. Yes, I've lost some weight, I'm sure of it and that's great (!) but I knew that would happen. What I'm talking about is the other stuff: waking up ready to tackle the world, waking up hungry, no cravings, etc. I have woke up hungry a few times. I have woke up ready to tackle the world a few times. I've caught myself reaching for fruit or vanilla roiboos tea because I want something "sweet". That is progress. My "digestive" issues are still there. I still have my chronic, pissed-off hip flexor and knee issue (although the issues are less chronic). I think part of my problem is it took me about 15 days to get my diet situated. I, too, was hungry right after eating. Adding more fat solved that problem. I'm still trying to get over the "need to snack" mentality. That is just a habit I've had for a long time. And, my Sugar Dragon, is still spewing. It may be just steam by now but still spewing. And the fiance wants to do one too. He's been, pretty much, 90% compliant. He feels he cannot consume coffee without sugar. He's been using coconut sugar and coconut cream in his. I've always been "just cream" and now 98% of the coffee I drink is black. So I told him we're going to reduce the amount of sugar we put in there, starting today, and try and wean yourself off of it. If not, you'll just have to switch to tea or give it up altogether for 30 days. I know there is temptation at work. He is an electrician and there are always donuts and cookies to side step. I can't control all of that. That is all him. We are getting married in June and we are going to ROCK this! He has lost some weight. He put on a suit that hasn't fit in some time and everything looked great. The beer in the fridge is gone and once all the other non-compliant Whole30 foods are gone he will be in 100%.

I'm reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and just finished a section called The Industrialization of Eating: What We Do Know. This section ended with this eye-opener concerning the health care industry. (This has been a stickler for me. I tell people I am taking care of my health because in the USA we cannot depend on the health care industry, nor the health insurance industry.) And I quote:"So we turn for salvation to the health care industry. Medicine is learning how to keep alive the people whom the Western diet is making sick. Doctors have gotten really good at keeping people with heart disease alive, and now they're hard at work on obesity and diabetes. Much more so than the human body, capitalism is marvelously adaptive, able to turn the problems it creates into new business opportunities: diet pills, heart bypass operations, insulin pumps, bariatric surgery. But though fast food may be good business for the health care industry, the cost to society--an estimated $250 billion a year in diet-related health care costs and rising rapidly--cannot be sustained indefinitely. An American born in 2000 has a 1 in 3 chance of developing diabetes in his lifetime; the risk is even greater for a Hispanic American or African American. A diagnosis of diabetes subracts roughly twelve years from one's life and living with the condition incurs medical costs of $13,000 a year (compared with $2,500 for someone without diabetes." I don't have that kind of money lying around. Real food is much cheaper.

day five... and starving again all day... i do well up until i eat and then it seems i can't get full... i don't like to eat before i go to the gym.. so usually breakfast is around 11 and i try to wrap up dinner by 7ish... so i don't eat after 8pm... i go to bed hungry... wake up starving... cup of coffee usually settles that down so i can go to gym... but then i came home and eat.. this morning it was 2 eggs some steak 1/4 of an avocado and a handful of raspberries... finished it and still felt like i could eat more... wouldn't allow it because I JUST ATE.. a few hours later i had some chicken pieces and radishes... then some beef wrapped up in roasted red peppers and the other 1/4 of avocado... an hour or so later i had a (OK COUPLE) handfuls of cashews and raisins... and now 2 hours have passed and i am starving... what is going on?? is this normal?? i think i drink a fair amount of water... any ideas or just will power to NOT EAT!!

It sounds like your'e not eating enough. 2 eggs? have 3. 1/4 of an avocado? Eat 1/2 or even the whole thing occasionally, I do. I don't eat before I work out either but perhaps a banana w/ almond butter before you head out?

One of things I've enjoyed with this plan is that I'm rarely hungry. 3 meals usually suffices. I'm probably eating more then the recommended protein, but I work out at least an hour every day. Oh and sweet potatoes are your friend. I have one large one just about every day.

Don't forget, your're eating real, good food. Eat more of it. And drink more water. There is no one size fits all. Tweak it, stay with it and be strong! You'll figure it out.

Ditto to what Stillrollin said. I am on day 20, but just got to chapter 16 last night. One quote that struck home for me was "feel free to add more to our recommended quantities, but never less." ( page 195, ISWF, discussing fat intake). I hadn't really been watching my fat intake, but looking back I can see where my energy levels were inconsistent and I was hungry coincide with not enough fat in my meals.

I'm on day 13 and feel good over all but I HAVE HAD IT WITH EGGS AND MUSHROOMS. I have some combo with extra stuff every morning and I am SICK of it. What else do you eat for breakfast? I've added crab, spiced hamburger, italian spices, salsa, avacado, turkey. UGH. I'm out of ideas.

The other thing is I really want to step on that scale and find out if it is working or not. I don't feel like I am seeing that weight loss result although I do feel better, skin better, calmer all that. I guess I need to focus on that. But uck, it's hard.

I'm on day 13 and feel good over all but I HAVE HAD IT WITH EGGS AND MUSHROOMS. I have some combo with extra stuff every morning and I am SICK of it. What else do you eat for breakfast? I've added crab, spiced hamburger, italian spices, salsa, avacado, turkey. UGH. I'm out of ideas.

The other thing is I really want to step on that scale and find out if it is working or not. I don't feel like I am seeing that weight loss result although I do feel better, skin better, calmer all that. I guess I need to focus on that. But uck, it's hard.

I can't seem to get away from eggs for b'fast either. But post workout I really want and need good protein. Recently I've added some fresh fruit just for some different texture. I've been having a prosuitto (sp?) omelete but my awesome wife/cook just found Jones sausage which, much to my suprise, is compliant. http://www.jonesdair...e-patties-12-oz

Can't help you with the scale... it's the one place I'm not compliant. Shhh, don't tell ;)

Im in for the February group! Ive been changing what I eat to a "only real whole food" since last October. Going through the list of whats on/off the list and Ive only got a few things to remove.

Since October Ive lost 30lbs (10lbs in the first month) and have gone from a size 20 to a 14!

My asthma has dropped by 50%, and now my slow painful wheezeful walk has changed to a darting half run without a wheeze in sight. Stairs? Those I can do! I now laugh at stairs! Im sleeping much better and I feel really good.

I know that I will have some questions about why certain foods are on the naughty list (pinenuts?) And Im hoping that I can find an answer to what to replace prunes with that are on the "best" list.

Hurrah!

Veronica

(slowly shrinking in Canada!)

Ditto to what Stillrollin said. I am on day 20, but just got to chapter 16 last night. One quote that struck home for me was "feel free to add more to our recommended quantities, but never less." ( page 195, ISWF, discussing fat intake). I hadn't really been watching my fat intake, but looking back I can see where my energy levels were inconsistent and I was hungry coincide with not enough fat in my meals.

This.

I was struggling with hunger and cravings for the first half. When I increased my fats, everything evened out nicely. This week I am noticing that I only need my three meals...no snacks. I'm not starving at meal time either. Just hungry enough to enjoy a right sized meal. Interestingly enough, that is still the case with added workouts this week. Very cool stuff.

I'm allergic to eggs, unfortunately, and I'm not generally a breakfast eater. This is one area I've struggled in! At first I was just eating left over dinner but I've started making my own sausage. I couldn't find any ground pork or chicken in my store without "solution" so I buy the fattier 80/20 grass fed beef and add my own seasonings, tons of sage, salt, pepper, fennel, a touch of chipotle. I just make little patties and cook. I also shred 1/2 a sweet potato and fry in coconut oil with a bit of salt and pepper to make my own hashbrowns. Then I toss a couple bunches of broccoli or kale in olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake it until it starts browning. It's probably the most delicious breakfast EVER. Seriously, it's a bit of work in the morning but I work evenings so time isn't an issue for me. If it is for you, you could pre make the sausage at the beginning of the week and pre-shred the hashbrowns. It would be less than half an hour to bake your veggies and heat the sausage and hashbrowns while those were cooking. Or try some leftovers! Just some ideas for you!

Archived