February 2013 Starters

Kate File

Today was day 29 for me and I'm out of town all weekend so I went ahead and weighed myself. I was wanting 5lb loss, wildest dreams were a 10lb loss. So the final number is......12lbs!!!!!!! 12.2 but who's counting. I am estatic. I feel better, look better, am bouncing off the walls with pride (and that sugar free energy) I couldn't be happier.

Awesome, Congrats!!! Ya beat me, by .2 :angry:

The results are amazing and provide incentive to stay the course. 2 days post W30 and I'm making good choices so far. Hope you do the same but be sure to reward yourself on day 31!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, Congrats!!! Ya beat me, by .2 :angry:

The results are amazing and provide incentive to stay the course. 2 days post W30 and I'm making good choices so far. Hope you do the same but be sure to reward yourself on day 31!

I have a peice of chocolate from valentines day waiting for me on Sunday (day 31) so that will take care of the .2 and make us even. lol. I'm also planning on sucking down a diet pepsi like my life depends on it (which it doesn't - it depends on me NOT drinking it) I was addicted so now I am just going to make it a once a week or so thing.

8 days into my Whole60. The new car smell is gone. This time around focusing on other little nagging habits. The snacking habit is the hardest one so far. No shopping is something I need to do every month so this was a good choice for me as well. That doesn't mean I can't "look at the menu". I do need to look for a cute pair of sail boat friendly sandals for the wedding but that doesn't mean I have to buy them..

Trying some new fruit and veggies this time around. Roasted parsnips are heavenly! Also busting out some of my old favorites and making them Whole30 compliant is fun.

Hang in there all my February friends. There is daylight at the end of the Whole30 tunnel.

i notice the same. 5 days into my whole 60 and it seems harder!! i feel more tempted because i dont really HAVE to do this. the 30 i HAD to do! i paid the 14.95 and wanted to click that little tab that said i did another day. LOL. I like rules

@Lisa Fonner Rimar -- are you doing the whole60 exactly as the whole30? I am. i think the working on snacking is a good idea for me too. at the end of dinner I eat mouthfuls of coconut butter or seed butter while I am cleaning up. I was lying to myself saying it was my good fat for the dinner even tho my dinner had PLENTY. I was just trying to get away with something yummy.

I am finding the mental challenge harder after the 30.

Michele

Okay, in for another Whole 30. Been good since finishing however today had sugar and oh my the suffering. Pains in the tummy and the muffin was so not worth it.

Had to learn the lesson though and suffer the consequences.

Also noticed that I was edgy and a bit moody.

Have a good one everybody. Lisa and Michele happy you are on the same journey:)

Just signed up again for $4.95 for renewing daily emails too. Love them!!

Suzy1. I didn't know about the renewing emails! I will do that. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to hear about your sugar suffering. Does not sound fun :-(

I am on a 4 day camping trip with friends. They are all sitting around the campfire with red wine and a 5 pound box of sees candy ......trying to talk me into some. Grrrrr. I premade all my food so I am ok. I bet I'll be the only one up early for a hike!

Michele

Hey Michele, bet you used your willpower and resisted the peer group pressure. Enjoy your camping.

Day 1 of a new Whole 30 done. Great eating and put that sugar dragon back in it's cave.

Have a great one everybody:)

@Lisa Fonner Rimar -- are you doing the whole60 exactly as the whole30? I am. i think the working on snacking is a good idea for me too. at the end of dinner I eat mouthfuls of coconut butter or seed butter while I am cleaning up. I was lying to myself saying it was my good fat for the dinner even tho my dinner had PLENTY. I was just trying to get away with something yummy.

I am finding the mental challenge harder after the 30.

Michele

Michelle, I so get the whole its a good fat and I just ate dinner....

Yes, I am following same protocol for my second 60 days. I was trying to justify a Whole 45 or Whole 50 because of Easter. We don't really "do"the whole holiday dinner thing but the local chocolatier's are Greek and they don't celebrate Easter the same day everyone else does so they open on Easter Sunday and sell their chocolates at half price. Bruce wants to go for the dark chocolate almond bark. It's all he wants. So I was trying to squeeze in my 10 day re-intro before. That was just my brain talking. So, this time around it really is mental...I really don't want to wake up that Sugar Dragon any way.

I am trying to keep the easy to eat snacks out of the house. You know, the nuts, nut butters, fruit. I bought some seltzer water and am going to try having some of that in a wine glass when I feel the urge to put something in my mouth. I would normally do a piece of gum or some diet soda (with Splenda...Aspartame gives me migraines) because the bubbles in the soda fill me up (if that makes sense). Without the temptations I find it easier to not eat them. BUT, the fiance is only following the Paleo lifestyle, not the hard core Whole30 like me so he likes having these things around. It's a Catch 22 for me. I guess having them around and resisting is better than denial by restriction. I may try making an iced coffee next time the snack dragon rears its ugly head.

I suppose the realization that we are mindlessly snacking is progress...

DAY 30 - Woo Hoo!!!! I DID IT :D

Ok, today is my last day on the Whole30. I though I would share the results of my journey.

I was introduced to the Whole30 by a friend who I had not seen in well over a year. She looked like a new person. 20kgs lighter, glowing skin and just LOOKED happy and healthy. She told me about the web site and the next day I was on there checking it out.

Being honest with myself, the main reason I was interested in finding out more was solely focused on loosing weight. This focus was to radically change as soon as I read "It Starts With Food"

I had been what I thought was "clean eating" for around a month prior and had already cut most of the added sugar out of my diet, but when I received my copy of ISWF, my eyes were opened and my brain clicked. This made total sense to me and so much of what I had read resonated loudly.

The big one for me was the over consumption of refined carbohydrates in processed food, not being able to stop eating them and what was going on chemically in my brain to cause this. BAM!!!! That was my lightbulb moment

This is all about your health, feeling energised and in control of your food…not the other way around.

Well, today is the last day of my Whole30 and here are some of results that I have experienced.

• Can think clearly and can concentrate properly – no foggy brain,
  • My hunger mechanism is back! – I don't think my hunger mechanism has worked properly since I was ten years old. Now I can eat and my body will tell me, “ok I am full now†and I can STOP EATING with no problems.
  • Eating 3 meals a day without any energy slumps or felling so hungry you need to snack or graze between meals.
  • Cravings have gone. Do not even feel like sugary / bready things. I actually feel a bit sick at the thought of eating food like this.
  • Skin looks great,
  • Hair looks great,
  • Sleeping deeply and waking up full of beans
  • I actually feel like I want to start exercising. This will be my next step.
  • My sense of smell has improved,
  • Body odour is better
  • Taste buds are changing, don't need a much salt anymore
  • And I am not so “reactive†to people who piss me off…….. I am finding I am not getting on the defensive as soon as they talk to me! And guess what….these people are reacting more positively to me…Perhaps I was half the problem.

I think I did a sum total of 1 hours planned exercise during this whole process. And I have achieved these results. It really does start with your food.

Now for the measurements. 1st lot of measurements was taken on the 21.01.2013 and the last was taken today.

Bust - 115cm to 109cm 6cm less

Upper arms 35cm to 34cm 1cm less

Waist 115cm to 105cm 10cm less

Hips 125cm to 121cm 4cm less

Upper legs 66cm to 59cm 7cm less

Calves 43cm to 42cm 1cm less

29cm in total

Weight 97kgs (213 pounds) to 92kg (202 pounds Dropped 5kg (11pounds)

Where to from here? Well one thing is for sure - I am not stopping.

Ok, for the next 30 days I am going to:

• continue with excellent food choices that will properly nourish my body so I can continue to improve my overall health,
  • will exercise at least 4 days per week
  • encourage my partner to take control of his health :)

For those people starting out I strongly recommend you do two things:

Get a copy of "It Starts With Food"

Sign up for the "Whole Daily". I really did find these daily emails extremly helpful!!

Cheers

Jackie

Ok, I have just re-subscribed to the daily emails.

I am in for a Whole60!

I have just been reading some of the other comments about eating nuts, nut butters etc after dinner - even though you know you are full. I have been doing EXACTLY the same thing....eating hand fulls of cashews & macadamia nuts. I feel not so great afterwards and know that is is simply another addictive behaviour that I need to stop.

Any ideas as to why this urge might be happening?

day 25 is wrapping up.. i am sitting here reading JackieKs post about eating after dinner and as i post this i am munching on a handful of raisins... i am NOT HUNGRY... i just had dinner.. the dessert dragon is huge inside me.. i may have to stay on this train another lap if i am going to slay it!... (but i like dessert, it makes me happy... really does it make you happy?? or are you just sabotaging?? hmmm... how about those pants that are getting looser... do they make you happy.. huh? huh??? OK.. the pants make me happier than dessert!!.. you win... again)

friends coming for dinner on wednesday and i plan on making a wonderful whole30 meal without them even being aware of it!

Day 29 for us - and we are feeling pretty good about our W30. My husband has decided to give up his beloved diet coke, and is planning on continuing to eat this way moving forward. I really believe in the Paleo lifestyle and I am excited about moving forward with revisits to the structure of W30 every now and then. One thing I did not anticipate was how much my period would affect me going through this month. I did great the first 3 weeks regarding cravings, sleep, etc. I could feel myself slimming down, was waking up with energy every day and really just felt great.

The last several days I have had strong cravings - not for anything particular, just something ELSE. I have not slept well, and have felt really bloated. I have also felt like I have been eating soo much! PMS kicking my butt!! Hoping all of that will calm back down my last couple of days so I can feel strong as I finish out these 30 days. I am looking forward to doing a 14 day challenge with a few changes for the next 2 weeks before I head to Vegas for my sister's bachelorette party! Yay! One last post to come on day 31 - it has been inspiring reading everyone's stories as they finish up!

tonight my husband made popcorn... seriously??? we are watching the biggest loser and just had a wonderful dinner of salmon and stir fried broccoli, carrots and cauliflower ... at NINE PM he makes a big pot of popcorn.... on the stove... it smells heavenly... do you think this would pass as justifiable homicide?? i will never get this smell out of my house!!!

Ok, I have just re-subscribed to the daily emails.

I am in for a Whole60!

I have just been reading some of the other comments about eating nuts, nut butters etc after dinner - even though you know you are full. I have been doing EXACTLY the same thing....eating hand fulls of cashews & macadamia nuts. I feel not so great afterwards and know that is is simply another addictive behaviour that I need to stop.

Any ideas as to why this urge might be happening?

Hey Jackie,

Congrats on re subscribing. Could be a comfort/boredom habit. I find that if I bring the cashews out I find myself eating for no reason. It feels like an out of body experience watching myself eating mindlessly which snaps me out if it quick smart. Great having you in board again:)

day 26... husband is bugging me... wants to know when this is going to be over.,... haven't had the guts to tell him NEVER... i love how i feel and will keep eating mostly this way for as long as i want....

today he worked late so i was on my own for dinner and i made me a chicken breast and big salad... super good.. super easy!

Ok, so is it suzy1, lisa, Jackie and me that are the February whole60?

Should we start a new thread for us?

Michele

I went over to a March 1st forum but we can make our own...that would be cool.

I am in day 47 and seriously considered bailing six days ago but I am still on the train.

My focus this second round has been on the mindless snacking. Been doing pretty good. Two words: Raw Almonds. You don't eat as many. Been wanting to get macadamia nuts but they can be just as dangerous as the pistachios I finished (and have not replaced). But, part of this is working on will power I guess. But in the book it says it's not about willpower, it's about hormones. So I don't know what's a better idea: buying them and having them in the house or just not buying them. Or am I over-thinking this?

I have not been getting enough sleep for sure. A couple of times late last week I woke up hungry and was encouraged that my hormones were back on track but then I wake up another morning and hungry? Not so much.

I will do the re-introduction this time but I plan on staying on plan about 80% of the time, maybe 90. I know that sugar is a slippery slope for me so that will be a once-in-a-while (maybe not ever) treat for me. We do have a wedding in June, plus our own and I plan on enjoying myself on our vacation but will continue on a paleo lifestyle the rest of my life. I never imagined myself off of sugar but here I am 47 days later...no sugar, no wine (some would say no fun), no wheat, etc. And you know what? You can live without that poison...

I went over to a March 1st forum but we can make our own...that would be cool.

I am in day 47 and seriously considered bailing six days ago but I am still on the train.

My focus this second round has been on the mindless snacking. Been doing pretty good. Two words: Raw Almonds. You don't eat as many. Been wanting to get macadamia nuts but they can be just as dangerous as the pistachios I finished (and have not replaced). But, part of this is working on will power I guess. But in the book it says it's not about willpower, it's about hormones. So I don't know what's a better idea: buying them and having them in the house or just not buying them. Or am I over-thinking this?

I have not been getting enough sleep for sure. A couple of times late last week I woke up hungry and was encouraged that my hormones were back on track but then I wake up another morning and hungry? Not so much.

I will do the re-introduction this time but I plan on staying on plan about 80% of the time, maybe 90. I know that sugar is a slippery slope for me so that will be a once-in-a-while (maybe not ever) treat for me. We do have a wedding in June, plus our own and I plan on enjoying myself on our vacation but will continue on a paleo lifestyle the rest of my life. I never imagined myself off of sugar but here I am 47 days later...no sugar, no wine (some would say no fun), no wheat, etc. And you know what? You can live without that poison...

ok Lisa, i set it up. a new topic February whole60

Michele

Hey Michele, bet you used your willpower and resisted the peer group pressure. Enjoy your camping.

Day 1 of a new Whole 30 done. Great eating and put that sugar dragon back in it's cave.

Have a great one everybody:)

Suz1 - i started a new group for the few of us February starters who are going on to do a whole60. Join us!

Michele

Archived