February 2013 Starters

Kate File

pg. 173 & 174 in the book explain how "medium-chain triglycerides" (MCTs) are unique in that they don't require bile for digestion. This makes them a fantastic fat source if you have impaired liver function, digestion malabsorption conditions, or have had your gallbladder removed. Good sources: Coconut oil, Coconut butter/manna, coconut milk (canned) and coconut (meat or flakes). This book has become my bible. May read it over and over...

Thank you for this, I'm still reading the book (only in the first third of it for mow) but I already know I will read it again and again too, at least for parts! Very very interesting. No one else here talk that way, but everything that is written in there is making me understand much better what happened to me!

Regarding the fats, I use mostly ghee and coconut oil, I will try to use more coconut oil because I found I'm relying very much on ghee these last times. I also have some coconut milk or coconut cream and I likecoconut "chips" (dried, unsweetened, no preservatives)

I would like to have more animal fats, at least sometimes, but the problem is that I can't find real good organic grass fed meats here in Belgium, lots of organic stuff, but never grass fed. So I buy organic but not fat.

Any way, I will stay sound and continue to use coconut and ghee!

Thanks again :)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I'm a Feb whole30 too! This is only my 2nd day so i' m just gettin the hang of it... I'm already just OVER eating eggs:0) And it's my birthday tomorrow, haha, no cake and ice-cream this time!!!

G'luck every1, we can all do it! We gotta band together and support one another! Us Feb Whole30s ROCK!

Oh, IT IS ON !

Have played with low carb "dieting" for years. Have played with paleo for a couple of months. Am now "playing" with chronic sinus and digestive issues, in addition to weight, so it is time to get serious. I am committing to the Whole30 program, and TODAY, Feburary 5, 2013, is DAY ONE.

I'm sure I'll have questions. Glad there is a forum for support.

Good morning;

Yesterday was Day 1 for me. I had no problems throughout the day. I slept fine and woke up ready to start Day 2. I read that I can expect a hung over feeling today, but so far, so good, I feel fine.

I am a seamstress and I work at home doing alterations and custom orders. I have the luxury of eating more often and less at a time which seemed necessary yesterday. Approximately every three to four hours I was hungry and not just brain hungry, belly was growling.

I have high cholesterol that I am not on medication for and don't want to be. I also have approximately 30-35 lbs to lose.

I am a huge potato, bread and pasta lover, and I don't mind sweet pastry either. :) I usually drink two Pepsis per day and approximately four cups of coffee with a teaspoon of sugar in each cup with a heaping teaspoon of powdered Coffee Mate as well in each cup.

I am surprised that I honestly didn't miss any of the 'bad' stuff yesterday and am hoping today goes as well.

I truly need a buddy, here, because my husband is about 50 lbs overweight with admirable cholesterol numbers and eats junk all day and night, refuses to give it up, is Type II diabetic and on oral meds for it and takes his meds religiously most times right before eating the most unhealthy breakfast you can imagine. He is 60 years old. Over time, as most of us have, I have tried all sorts of diets and asked him every time to go ahead and eat what he wants but to please just not offer anything to me, because that will be the hardest part for me. I can look at it and tell myself 'that is his' and be able to leave it alone, but if he offers me any, the willpower goes right out the window. That I realize that, I think is a good thing. It never failed, he would get himself all set up to watch a good movie or our favorite evening t.v. shows and would reach over with a piece or bite of something and say, 'just one little bite won't hurt you.' Being insulted by this action made me able to refuse politely while rolling my eyes and then he would say, 'oops, sorry, didn't mean to upset you, just feel badly eating this in front of you without offering.' Really?

Don't get me wrong!!! We have been happily married for 33+ years and he truly is my prince charming and very kind hearted, a great provider and father to our four children, an awesome grandfather to our nine grandmiracles, and I don't think in all these years we have had more than four or five disagreements and even then no voices were raised and we never went to bed mad, although I do remember one night that because I will never let us go to bed mad, we never went to bed that night. LOL!!!! All in all, he is one awesome man, but food is his demon and he just doesn't care. I know it could be so much worse, but I am just trying to make you understand my biggest problem while trying to eat right and get back to a healthy state--my very loving husband and my best friend.... :)

I am here to offer the same type of support I need!

Good luck to us all!!!!!

~Louise

P.S. I will turn 64 on Day 30, and on Day 29 I have a family reunion at a Chinese restaurant. HELP!!!! :)

Hi

I'm on day three and happy to have this forum for support. I have been doing low carb, so no sugar, but I think the artificial sweeteners have kept the sugar demon nipping at my ankles. One of the hardest things has been stopping cream and sweetener in my coffee. Now I realize that my coffee is pretty bitter. I will try cold brewed.

I had a tough Day 1, but I am working to plan ahead more and have things available. Day 2 went much better!!!

I am happy to be here. This is my first Whole30, so I still feel like I'm adrift.

I had a pretty hard time with no sugar or creamer in my coffee, as well. Elderly, thin, fit and energetic neighbor lady told me to try a couple shakes of salt in my cup to remove the bitterness. I am not sure if it is all in my head, but it seemed to not be bitter and tasted a lot smoother!!!!! Worth a try. :)

Closing in on my first day, and it has been easy so far. Hah! day one. I even drank a cup of black coffee with just a little coconut oil in it. I'm used to cream and sugar. But I can learn! Committed to giving this the full 30 days.

Going to check around for tools here now. If anyone has pointers or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Best to you all!

Am starting my 2nd Whole 30. Dragged my hubby into it as well and even though we weren't completely clean, he lost 22 pounds and I lost 13. It surprised us both, so these next 30 days we are challenging ourselves for complete adherence. We both sleep better and have eliminated many aches and pains. We were healthy eaters before but never eliminated the grains/legumes and believe that this has truly made a difference. To our surprise, we haven't really missed either food group either.

So here's to the next 30 days where we start back into an exercise program and clean eating.

Hey! Another Aussie here (in Tassie). My husband and I are starting tomorrow (Feb 1).

Hello another Tassie here (Hobart) . I am starting my 2nd whole 30 today. I just did a whole 29 ending about 10 days ago and want to consolidate on the benefits and streamline the things that were not so easy. Good luck:-)

Today was interesting. I looked in our pantry and there is not much there! A small section of stuff for my son's lunches and lots of coconut products, spices and coffee. Everything we eat now is in the fridge or onion/sweet potato bin. So strange! Feels good actually.

My husband used to complain about how leftovers did not get eaten. That is no longer a problem. Every bit of food that is cooked is eventually eaten. Leftovers are the new "convenience" food!

I'm coming up on the end of Day 7 and something interesting happened to me last night.

I got home from work around 9:45-10 pm and went to stir the almond butter that I had bought earlier in the day. I didn't really pay attention to what I was buying. Maybe this was intentional? Or just accidental, I don't know. But as I was finishing up with the almond butter I went to lick the knife and as I was raising it to my mouth I lifted the jar so I could read the ingredients...Ack! Dehyrated Cane Sugar, Palm Oil!!! Horror! My tongue had just lit on the tip of the knife and I got a little itty-bitty, tiny taste of the almond butter on my tongue. What was interesting was my reaction to the taste. Almond butter should not taste sweet....It was a real eye opener.

Sugar was the last thing I gave up as I weaned myself off the other "no" foods so I went into Day 1 cold turkey on sugar. It has only been seven days and I already am feeling the benefits of changing the food on my plate. ;)

So, I have to find a home for this almond butter....

Closing in on my first day, and it has been easy so far. Hah! day one. I even drank a cup of black coffee with just a little coconut oil in it. I'm used to cream and sugar. But I can learn! Committed to giving this the full 30 days.

Going to check around for tools here now. If anyone has pointers or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Best to you all!

Martihana, click around on the site for lots of useful info. We put the Shopping List and Meal Template on the fridge. Very helpful. Also, I subscribed to the daily e-mails. Just 15 bucks and helps you count down. (Not sure how it works if you start it after you start W30 - emails start on Day 0.)

I got the e-book It Start With Food, but haven't gotten real far in it--it's been helpful for searching out answers to questions though.

Also, I needed to watch Everything I ate. I was using grapeseed oil until I found it's not the best - has Omega 6's, inflammatory. Also I did use bacon fat at first! And the first weekend I chomped down a Wheat Thin communion cracker. After that I switched over to have husband's almond flour ones that I carry in my handbag.

• I have been slow-cooking Jicama all night and it will cook the rest of the day. Stay tuned for how the home fries were.

Well, it's not potatoes but it's not swill either. It slow-cooked for app. 26 hours. It got tender but not as tender as a potato would. I seasoned it up with chili powder, paprika, seasoned salt and pepper and served it to the fiance this morning for breakfast with hamburger and some onion. He finished his plate so must not be that bad. Frankly, if sweet potatoes are Whole30 approved and we love them, I'd just rather buy stock in sweet potatoes...

Try coconut milk in your coffee. It does leave a "film" on the top but may help you get through it. Frothing it helps too. Mainly because it puts a layer of "foam" on top so you can't see the greasy film. I have never put sugar in mine, just cream so I can drink it black. It has to be pretty smooth though. I have read that heavy cream is "paleo" but I have only seen it once, at Trader Joe's, and it has carrageenan in it...a no food for Whole30 so the search continues. Just stick with coco milk if you can't seem to get it down without cream and sugar. Let me know how the cold brew goes. My fiance is the cream and sugar type, although I did switch him to organic coconut sugar (granulated coconut nectar). That, I'm sure, is not Whole30 approved but he is not doing this with me... yet. He is 90% paleo right now. As far as I know, that is the only "sweet" he is getting. I don't know what he eats at work outside of what I pack for him...

The cold brewed coffee is pretty good. It is much less bitter. I have also moved from a dark French roast to a milder roast. I do drink it warm, not cold. I have used coconut milk and I have also made a whipped coconut milk with egg whites and vanilla. I think the whipped is good, but it's a lot of work, so I may just go for the plain coconut most of the time. I am getting used to it. Thanks for the encouragement!!

I am on my second day! I have a cold too so I can't really tell what is actually bothering me today. I didn't carb/sugar out before I started, so I think I will have an easier time with that part of the transition. I am tired today though. I am doing the whole30 to get get rid of my sugar demon and to help my psoriasis. And of course, lose weight. I have about 50 to lose, and this should be a good start. They say nutrition is half the battle!

Glad that there is a February group!!! I will need all the support I can get as I don't know anyone local that is doing this program.

Question...is it normal to break out in acne the first week of the Whole30. I never get acne and now all of the sudden boom. All over my face.

Just curious.

Thanks.

I broke out pretty bad after Day 2. I think my body was detoxing all the bad stuff out of it. It's mostly cleared up already by Day 6. This is coming from someone who's never had acne ever. Just the occasional pimple here or there.

I started on Jan 28th so I'm on day 10. The hardest thing has been the time between lunch and dinner. I'm not really hungry but I get the urge to snack. I know keep a small fruit bowl in my office with Oranges, Apples and Bananas. It has also been a nice to see people eating my fruit instead of walking around with bagged chips or candy bars with a coke.

I have had my start to Whole 30 delayed by a sudden sinus and throat infection. My whole family, hubby and two sons age 14 and 11 will be doing the Whole30 with me! It has only been delayed by not being able to get to the shops to buy all the new foods we need. We have been cutting out most dairy, gluten and processed foods in the meantime. But plan to get started tomorrow now, so I will be playing catch up on the emails.

I am so excited and can't wait to get started :)

Day 3 - making a difference

Today was a great day.

First - food:

Breakfast - 2 eggs, banana, iced tea

Lunch - turkey salad with olives, tomato, avocado, carrot

Snack - Tangelo, Apple, Mixed nuts

Dinner - Steak with steamed broccoli and asparagus

A little fruit heavy, but it felt like a great food day.

So today I came into work and there is a box in the break room with tons of junk. One of the "on your honor" boxes where you leave $1.00 and take a candy bar or chips, etc. This really irritated me that some company came and dropped this off. So - at lunch, after a great workout at the gym, I stopped by the grocery store and bought $20 worth of fruit and nuts. I set them all in the break room and wrote on the white board "Or - eat something healthy for FREE". It was mostly gone by the end of the day :) I'm going to start trying to do that more often. If it's available, hopefully they will take that instead of the junk!

Great food, a great workout, and a good deed. A great day!

Hi there,

Just completed day 4 of the whole 30. Day 2 was tough with a wicked headache which only lasted one day. Crossfit workouts are a struggle, not as much energy.

Feeling focussed however I am grateful for this forum and for my Whole 30 daily emails. This keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Looking forward to assisting everybody with their journey.

Today is Day 1 for me, after weeks of psyching myself up. I read "Why We get fat" by Gary Taube almost two years ago and it made total sense. But, I couldn't fathom a life without bread and potatoes.

I'm doing this Whole30 in an attempt to "recalibrate" my physical self. I'm tired of being tired and achy and low energy. I want boundless energy! Yes, it would be nice to lose some weight, but I am most interested in taking care of myself and not poisoning my body with my addiction to sugar and bread.

So far, so good, LOL. Black coffee is not as bad as I'd imagined.

In addition to the Whole30 eating, I am committing to doing yoga every day, even if it just one of my Rodney Yee DVDs.

Now we've got a blizzard on the way, so I'm planning a quick trip to the Whole Foods so I don't run out of kale. :)

Looking forward to sharing this journey.

I've got a sugar habit that I need to kick to the curb :ph34r: One of the guys over in Primal suggested the "It Starts With Food" book to me and I kept getting this urge to listen to him and purchase the book :) So, here I am! I started yesterday after I finished the book on Monday. I've been living mostly primal for a while until sugar got a hold of me. That is a slippery slope for me and I just want stop it already :angry: I'm on day 2 today. I may end up going past the original 30 days. I've also got hypothyroidism, which sucks. I say that because I'm going by the recommendations to give up certain other foods that could be doing more damage than good. I will miss the paprika and certain other items, but I think I can make this happen. The up side is that I've found I like the canned coconut milk better than the other stuff :wub:

Hi, I am on Day 2 today, my start date being Feb. 6. I have been eating pretty well since January 1 - I started the year with a Wild Rose cleanse which helped me kick sugar and dairy and flour. Since then I've eleminated a few more things to make me Whole30 compliant, but yesterday was the first day I figured out how to drink my morning coffee without cream and honey (thanks to this forum which recommended coconut milk, cinnamon and nutmeg). Yay for February starters! I've been wanting to do this for ages but always been too intimidated. I'm sitting here at work eating the yummiest lunch of veggies with guac for dip, plus chicken breast with a chipotle-homemade olive oil mayo for dressing. Feeling pretty good so far. Good luck everyone!

Archived