SWYPO

Day 19 of Whole 30 and i am realizing this is more about my relationship with food than the actual food. I was doing really well and then i read on a blog that someone was eating Blueberries with nuts and coconut milk for breakfast. This sounds silly but i got really excited about this food choice. I even had it for breakfast with my eggs and it was heaven. The problem is, my biggest weakness pre-whole30 was indulging in my favorite food...plain greek yogurt, frozen berries and granola. I could eat that for every meal and especially at night. After my first taste of this i am starting to obsess over the next time i get to eat it. IS this SWYPO? Its about the food relationship and since i havent had any cravings for 18 days it seems like this could be my dragon. Is it?

I don't see this as SWYPO unless you're eating it by itself at night when you're getting dessert cravings, overeating it by itself instead of meals, or crowding out other healthy foods with it.

Having fruit and nuts with a meal is not a problem to me, especialy if it's breakfast and you eat a lot of vegetables later in the day; it actually sounds kind of delicious. For me it's better to eat the thing with a meal and enjoy it, otherwise I'd obsess about it and have mad cravings, and probably rebel eat or overeat in some way.

This is just how I would handle it and I'm not an expert so please wait for a mod to chime in :)

I know, I totally get it. What works for me is just having it but only with a meal, otherwise I keep thinking about it and obsess. Others need to never have it and that works for them. Others just struggle. If it feels like SWYPO to you, then don't have it...like slw600 said, SWYPO is personal :) Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement...I didn't think of it as swypo until the evening after i had it, i was watching tv and the first thing that came to mind was the coconut milk and frozen berries. This was the habit i could never break and yet it was back after 18 days of no food after dinner! I kept getting out of my chair and going to the kitchen, opening the fridge and then closing it. There was some definite dragon slaying going on. I had to keep reminding myself that this whole process is about my relationship with food. This was why i was never successful with Weight watchers, medifast etc...i always followed the rules but made my food conveniently fit in to the program. I think i will use the rest of the coconut milk with my curry chicken tonight...

Do you always have it on it's own? I wonder if it'd be the same if you had some fried eggs with it.

I've found fruit with meals to be vastly different to not-in-a-meal.

It tends to make me hungry and snacky when I have it outside of a meal, or if my meal is too low in fat.

Archived