The Scale Dragon

I can't do it. I just can not slay the scale dragon. I am on day 14 of my first W30 and I have weighed myself at least once a day. I know that the program is about health and not weight, but I can't help it. I have been 100% compliant with what I'm eating and probably 80% compliant with how i'm eating (sitting down and eating slowly, not snacking between meals, etc.) but I am 0% compliant with the no scale rule.

Has anyone else had a hard time with this one? Part of my problem is that I am not seeing any harm, for me personally. If I knew that it was hurting my relationship with food or my W30 I think it would be easier to try and stop. Part of my fear is that if I didn't weigh myself I would speculate about my weight loss and then if I get on the scale at the end and am not down as much as I expected it would be a major setback for me and I can see myself falling further off the wagon than I would have after re-introduction.

Thoughts, suggestions?

1) Read this post: http://forum.whole9l...indpost__p__349

2) Realize and accept that the number on the scale is stupid and doesn't mean anything

????

3) Profit

South Park reference aside, give your scale away.

EDIT: Sorry about that! Here they are!

Tam started out at 5'8" and 174 in April 2009. 7 months later she was at 143 (picture 1). She made it all the way down to 133 and stayed there a while before her goals wound up changing and she realized that she needed to GAIN weight to achieve them. So a year later in Nov 2010, she was 143 again, looking completely different, Now she's in the 163-167 range. That 3rd pic of her is at 163.

post-8-0-15432500-1359398499_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-45049100-1359398503_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-59785000-1359398516_thumb.jpg

Have someone hide it or take it away. Seriously, just get rid of it. You say it's not a problem for you, but it is if you're on it every day. Just listen to your body! If you must have some "measure" of your body, keep one article of clothing that you can use to gauge yourself. The number really, really does NOT matter. Trust in the plan!

I'm on day 29. I made the mistake of doing my Whole30 while doing a weight loss competition with some friends. I couldn't quit because the team would get zero points for me each week if I did. It has kept me CHAINED to the scale this whole time. It was a huge mistake. I have been tweaking the food I eat on my whole30 due to what the scale says. MISTAKE. Now don't get me wrong, I've lost a good deal of weight but sometimes at the expense of making choices JUST on what my body felt like. I've made huge improvements in that area, I have, but I believe they would have been greater without the scale. I will be doing another whole30 in 6 weeks when our competition is over and not weighing ONCE. DITCH THE SCALE.

I should add that what I've noticed is that the scale makes you afraid of GOOD, HEALTHY FOOD. It makes you afraid of having a little sweet potato or fruit. It makes you afraid of fat. It makes you afraid of that meal because last time you ate it you were up 2 lbs for a couple days. No no no. This is NOT what eating well should be about. Maybe when I'm 150 lbs and doing a Crossfit competition tweaking each little thing for peak performance will be something to deal with but for now while I'm healing my body? I need to learn to trust my body with food. I need to trust my body in general. I need to STOP trusting that the scale is accurately telling me about my food intake.

Huge issue for me...TORTURE every morning..but then it turns in to motivation. By 5 minutes after I wake up I have conquered my biggest issue. Pre-W30 morning routine - get up, go to the bathroom, get on the scale. During W30 - get up, go to the bathroom...look at the scale, think about stepping on it...thinking more about stepping on it...argue with myself about it...finally talk myself out of it, go get my coffee and breakfast going. So as I said, the scale by far is my biggest issue. Once I've walked out of the bathroom without caving in to the almost overwhelming desire to step on the scale, the rest is EASY!!

Get it out of the house. Before discovering Whole9 I never weighed myself daily, but I did weekly, every Monday, to see the "damage" the weekend had done. For my 1st whole30 the scale went in the basement. I HATE our basement. At the end I only got it out because I had lost the measurements taken at the beginning. I knew my body comp had changed for the better, but some part of my brain needed a solid number to acknowledge the change. I didn't miss the scale the whole time. And it has since left my house. Now, the only time I get on the scale is at the doctor's office. And if it's during an actual W30 (I'm working on taking my training wheels Back Off :)) I'll just ask them to note the number, not tell me, and I won't look.

Get rid of it for the rest of your whole30. Breaking away from the scale is very hard but it will happen for you in time. I was very active but most of my workouts were cardio oriented. Joining crossfit in June is what did it for me. My body composition began to change but the scale was telling me otherwise. I saw my entire family after 6 months since I live far away and everybody kept on saying how skinny and how much WEIGHT I had lost. I just kept on laughing because the scale said otherwise (I have maybe lost 2lbs total since I have been doing crossfit) but the way the clothes fit, my frame, my muscles reflected all my hard work. So I stopped caring about what the scale says and I usually check measurements and weight once a month to month and a half to know if I am moving in the right direction with my WODs and nutrition. Keep on fighting the scale dragon, you will conquer it :)

I am having a problem slaying this dragon too.. and since I have only seen a small change in the scale I know I have to get rid of it.. It makes me wonder if all this hard work is really working.. maybe I shouldn't have had that sweet potatoe, did I have to much avacodo for dinner, where my portions to big.. maybe I souldnt have had those strawberries... all this when I know how sick I was when I started and how much better I feel now, how much better I sleep, that my body feels better and different.. yet most every morning I step on that damn scale for just a peak..

After reading this I am going to tell my husband if he wants the scale around so badly he can hide it somewhere elst!!!!!!!!

I used to weigh myself daily too. I finally moved the scale to the garage during week 2 of my W30 (currently on day 24). I was a junkfood vacuum in December and put on 8-10 pounds. During my first weekend on the W30 I dropped 6 pounds, then stalled. After a week with no changes, I realized I was starting to get depressed and obsess over what I was eating too much, so I had to remove it. Unfortunately I can still tell that I haven't lost any additional weight because of how my clothes are fitting. So in another week or two I've got to decide if my meals are too large, or something else is to blame.

I definitely recommend getting rid of the scale too. You might honestly believe it doesn't affect your moods or the way you think, but it's hard for it not to when you feel compelled to use it every day.

1) Read this post: http://forum.whole9l...indpost__p__349

2) Realize and accept that the number on the scale is stupid and doesn't mean anything

????

3) Profit

South Park reference aside, give your scale away.

EDIT: Sorry about that! Here they are!

Tam started out at 5'8" and 174 in April 2009. 7 months later she was at 143 (picture 1). She made it all the way down to 133 and stayed there a while before her goals wound up changing and she realized that she needed to GAIN weight to achieve them. So a year later in Nov 2010, she was 143 again, looking completely different, Now she's in the 163-167 range. That 3rd pic of her is at 163.

GREAT GREAT pictures! That last picture is the one she looks her healthiest. Awesome.

I can still tell that I haven't lost any additional weight because of how my clothes are fitting. So in another week or two I've got to decide if my meals are too large, or something else is to blame.

I was feeling exactly that way. I don't really expect to lose weight because I was "always" slim until about 10 years ago and have not been able to lose weight since then. But even though I didn't expect to drop any sizes, I did expect a little action with 100% compliance here. But my clothes feel the same. Oh well.

Then yesterday I saw someone I haven't seen in a month (saw her on Dec 30th, three days before starting my W30).

She would not shut up about saying I had lost weight.

I said, No, I haven't lost weight.

She said, There's less of you!

I said, No, I'm the same size. I just look different because I got my hair cut.

She said, Then they really cut off a LOT of hair because you've lost weight!

I just laughed and gave up.

My clothes are not loose. I wonder if it's that my body composition has changed and if my face is leaner looking.

I dunno. Just sayin'.

Before starting my W30 7 days ago I was a daily weighed too. As well as compulsive self picture taker. Because I was constantly bloated I just needed some validation that I was still moderately attractive. I am so happy now that the foods eliminated for the w30 (grains sugar dairy and alcohol) were precisely the foods causing my constant bloat. I had been off gluten for months expecting some improvement in my midsection but it was all the other stuff still causing the problems. I weighed in the day before starting then pushed my scale up under my dresser. The shame I would feel in breaking one of the rules to bend down and fetch my dusty scale out is just too much! Can't wait to weigh after but I've already told myself it doesn't matter what it says, I feel so much better without the daily tummy aches and self consciousness of bloat.

JJB - I go with the "poke test". It's super scientific, so prepare yourself ;)

If I poke myself in the belly, I can see how far in it goes. If I can feel muscle behind it, but I'm still bulgy underneath the muscle, then I'm probably bloated. It also feels like I'm pushing out on my stomach, even if I'm not.

JJB - I go with the "poke test". It's super scientific, so prepare yourself

If I poke myself in the belly, I can see how far in it goes. If I can feel muscle behind it, but I'm still bulgy underneath the muscle, then I'm probably bloated. It also feels like I'm pushing out on my stomach, even if I'm not.

I so love this. It makes me smile. Robin it's so you. I, of course, had to immediately poke my belly. :)

First off, I don't weigh myself more than a couple of times a year, so I feel I need to disclose that before responding further.

Second, just like you don't keep sugar in the house, when you're on a Whole30 if the scale is a dragon for you, you get rid of it. Not just put it in an inconvenient place, get rid of it. It won't ever be your friend, so don't keep something so mean to you inside your house.

I'm a former Weight Watcher so I was accustomed to weighing myself at least once a week. Even purchased a high dollar scale for the house. This is the second week of my 1st W30 and I've been very tempted to weight myself. I cheated yesterday because I had a doctors appointment and they weighed me - of course I looked... I just wanted to say that I do see the importance of NOT weighing yourself for that 30 days. It forces you to focus on other aspects of your health. Last month my doctor suggested I purchase some Ketone test strips from the local drug store and use them to guage whether I'm burning fat or not. Since I'm not using the scale right now, I pee on a test strip in the morning to see if I'm burning fat and that helps me a lot. Obviously the scale would indicated if I'm losing weight but what about if I'm gaining muscle or retaining water. The Ketone strips tell me the thing I want to know most - AM I BURNING FAT? My doctor says to aim for a "trace" to "small" reading on the Ketone results template. She says if you try to aim for the "moderat" to "large" level you'll likely start feeling too cranky/moody. I think a container of 50 Ketone strips was about $12.00 u.s. dollars. BTW I have lost 10 lbs since starting my W30 but it doesn't really feel like it and my clothes still fit - althought a little loose. Ditch the scale! It's not your friend and could serve to derail your efforts. What if you got on the scale tomorrow and it showed a gain? How motivated would you be to continue with your W30 - especially if you were having a particularily rough day with cravings?? Pee on a strip and you'll know everything you need to know... :)

i am a SLAVE to the scale... today being Day 2 of my W30... it is the 2nd day in a row i haven't weighed myself... i am not sure what to base my self worth on?... (tongue in cheek... but the number does make a difference in how i feel about myself... that's insane to even admit... )... here is what runs over and over in my mind... what if i dedicate myself to this and then at the end of 30 days i have lost nothing.. or 2 pounds... (like those poor folks on the biggest loser who bust through a last chance workout and then lose 0...) it is definitely a dragon that needs to be slain!

PS... i moved my scale into a closet!

Archived