limited time - which kind of exercise?

jennycash

hello! i hope i am posting this in the appropriate forum. i thought maybe the "whole30 for athletes", but i am by no means an athlete, so...

i am a stay at home mom and have very limited time to work out. i just rearranged my husbands schedule a little so he could help me out. i now have 2 mornings a week with about 1 1/2 hours to myself to get some exercise in (other than housework and running up and down the stairs to do laundry).

my question: which kind of exercise should i do?

it will be first thing in the morning, in my basement. i have one yoga dvd that i like. i have hand weights and one kettlebell (10 lbs). i have a jump rope. suggestions, please?

my main goals:

- lose weight (shocker)

- loosen my body and build some strength

- carve out some dedicated time to connect with my mind and body

how would you spend the time?

i should add that i am working on troubleshooting some possible thyroid/depression issues, so - as much as i want to do HIIT and lose weight - i realize that lower intensity would probably be better for me, mind and body.

thank you!

Given what you've got on hand, KBs + yoga are probably your best option in the short term. If losing weight and building strength are your primary motivators, I'd eventually either investigate joining a gym with free weights, or invest in a weight set.

2-3x/week of lifting heavy + yoga on off days to destress and stretch...it's a good combo.

I know you don't want to do it, but HIIT has changed my body physically and mentally more than anything I have ever done except yoga, and it's over in 10-12 minutes. Jump rope, do some burpees, a few get ups...google and you'll find lots of really short effective workouts. Then go for a walk to reconnect, destress and get some fresh air :) Sun salutations are also awesome for both strength and mind. Good luck!

Warm up with running on the spot, jumping jacks, (pretend jump rope), burpees etc.

So a body weight training regiment (or add your kettlebell where able) with push ups, squats, dips, planks etc

Do yoga including some standing poses and vinyasa flow sequences

Finish by doing seated and lying yoga strecthes.

Warm up with running on the spot, jumping jacks, (pretend jump rope), burpees etc.

So a body weight training regiment (or add your kettlebell where able) with push ups, squats, dips, planks etc

Do yoga including some standing poses and vinyasa flow sequences

Finish by doing seated and lying yoga strecthes.

^^^all absolutely great ideas^^^ :D

If you can add a second KB (to make a pair) you can do tons of exercises. With the one that you have, I would recommend adding kettlebell swings to the strength part of the above recommended routine. They are great for multi muscle recruitment (think legs, glutes, core, shoulders) and get your heart rate up. BONUS: They are loads of fun!

Check out Denise Austin's DVDs - I have 3 Week Body Boot Camp and Boot Camp Total Body Blast. I do heavy strength training and HIIT at the gym, but these still kick my butt on the nights I can't make it. Each DVD is made up of 2 20-minute workouts, so you can do both or just one. My biggest advice is to not be afriad of increasing the weights - when I started I used 3-pound dumbells and saw pretty much 0 results, now I use a variety of 10, 15, and 20 pounds!

You can get them at Target or on Amazon

Archived