ChiGalPaleo's Whole30

chigalpaleo

Whoot! Another chi girl . . . just caught up on your blog. Well Fed is one of my faves too, 'specially the Sunshine Sauce. Congrats on all your Whole30 choices and yummy meals you're whipping up.

I've been trying to cook my way through Well Fed, doing a pretty good job so far!

Breakfast (10:00am): Breakfast casserole! I made a fresh casserole today and have posted my recipe here.

IMG_2946.JPG

Breakfast Comments: I changed up a few small things from last week and I love this casserole even more. Such a simple breakfast to just re-heat and eat for the week!

Lunch (3pm): Romaine, tomato, 1/4 avocado, diced bell pepper, Well Fed Creamy Italian dressing, crockpot chicken.

photo-16.JPG

Lunch Comments: Nothing new here! Somewhat of a late lunch because we went to the Chicago Auto Show and there wasn't anything there that I could eat, so I had to wait until we got home because I wasn't prepared. Just wasn't planning on being gone as long as we were!

Dinner (6:30pm): Well Fed Pad Thai made with chicken thighs and the Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever instead of Sunshine Sauce.

photo-17.JPG

Dinner Comments: So with the Sunshine Sauce, there was too much of the Sunflower Butter taste (for me). With the stir fry sauce there was too much of the Chinese Five spice. I think if I can find a way to marry these two sauces together it would be perfect!

Sleep: 8 hours-good sleep and I woke up on my own, those are always the best mornings!

Exercise: None, although walking around for 2 hours at the Chicago Auto Show could be counted as exercise, right??

Wow! Day 15-I'm halfway done with my first Whole30! Kind of crazy how time flies.

Breakfast (6:30am): Breakfast casserole with a little less than 1/4 avocado and salsa.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: Expect to see this for the rest of the week, easy and I love it. I'm still not really that hungry when I eat within an hour of waking up in the mornings, but having food that I enjoy makes it a little easier to eat this early.

Lunch (11:45am): Leftover Well Fed Pad Thai made with chicken thighs and Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever instead of Sunshine Sauce. Carrots and half a pear.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: Another meal you can expect to see a couple more times this week. I doubled the recipe so I could eat leftovers this week. Whenever I eat this dish I feel like I'm cheating! It's crazy how the spaghetti squash, the fried egg, and the sauce make it feel like a totally indulgent chinese/thai carry-out meal. As I said yesterday I still need to work on the sauce, but this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Dinner (6:30pm): Red leaf lettuce, diced bell pepper, tomato, scallions, diced macadamia nuts, Applegate Farms organic roast beef, Well Fed Creamy Italian dressing.

photo-18.JPG

Dinner Comments: I believe this is the only Applegate Farms product you can buy pre-packaged that doesn't contain carrageenan. It was really good! Also, I'm obsessed with this dressing, if you haven't noticed!

Post-workout (9:30pm): 2 slices roast beef...I was hungry...

Sleep: 7.5 hours + 1 hour nap when I got home from work at 5p. I got a good night's sleep but was really dragging at the end of the day.

Exercise: Crossfit-Onramp Day 5. 10 minute AMRAP: 1 shoulder press, 2 push presses, 3 jerk presses (push jerks?), 6 back squats, 1+ burpees. I did 6+14. My hips are dying.

Breakfast (6:30am): Breakfast casserole, avocado, salsa.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: My go-to for the past couple weeks!

Lunch (12pm): Leftover Well Fed Pad Thai made with chicken thighs and Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever instead of Sunshine Sauce. Carrots and half a pear.

photo-20.JPG

Lunch Comments: I know I'm getting a little boring this week with my repeats, I just haven't had much time to prep so I've been going with what works.

Dinner (7:30pm): Well Fed Moroccan Meatballs. Mashed cauliflower made with coconut milk, ghee, and garlic. Red leaf lettuce, Well Fed Creamy Italian.

photo-19.JPG

Dinner Comments: So I definitely wasn't planning on cooking tonight but I wasn't loving anything in my refrigerator and I had some ground lamb thawed so I made some meatballs and they were really good!

Sleep: Maybe 5 hours? I know. Terrible. When we get home from CF after 9 I just can't seem to shut my body down right away. Eventually I went to bed but then my mind was still running and I didn't fall asleep until around midnight. THEN I woke up a couple times during the night. Surprisingly, when my alarm went off at 5:30a I didn't have much trouble getting out of bed...and I wasn't really tired throughout the day...does that mean I'm going to be extra tired tomorrow?

Exercise: None.

Breakfast (6:30am): Breakfast casserole, little less than 1/4 avocado, salsa.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: You can expect this for a couple more days, but I'll be changing it up next week I think!

Lunch (12:15pm): Well Fed Moroccan Meatballs. Mashed cauliflower made with coconut milk, ghee, and garlic. Carrots

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: Leftovers from last night...love the sauce on these meatballs!

Dinner: Beef stew, red leaf lettuce, diced red pepper, Well Fed Creamy Italian, macadamia nuts

photo-21.JPG

Dinner Comments: I had some frozen stew left over from last week so I ate that with a little extra veg and fat.

Sleep: 7 hours, a little tired in the morning.

Exercise: CF on-ramp WOD-7 minute AMRAP <7 hang power snatches, 7 KB swings, 7 lunges (each leg)> I did 4 rounds + 7....hip flexors...burnnnnning. Can't wait for my chiro appt and massage Friday!

Breakfast (6:30am): Breakfast casserole, 1/4 avocado, salsa

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: 1 more day of the infamous breakfast casserole!

Snack (9:20am): 1 blood orange-trying not to have too much fruit throughout the day, but needed a little Valentine's Day sweetness this morning!

photo.JPG

Lunch (11:30am): Chipotle salad with carnitas, all salsas (except the corn), and guacamole.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: I brought the last of my pad thai leftovers in but just wasn't in the mood for that this afternoon. So-I went to Chipotle and it was delicious!

Dinner (6:45pm): Well Fed Moroccan Meatballs, broccoli, macadamia nuts

photo-22.JPG

Dinner Comments: All day I saw people posting tasty looking Valentine's treats on Facebook and Instagram so this was definitely the last thing I wanted to eat, especially when Mike was eating pizza! But, I ate it and felt good about it.

Snack (7:30pm): Apple and sunflower butter. I've been trying not to have more than 1 piece of fruit per day and I already had fat in my dinner, but I figured an apple and sunflower butter is better than chocolate and cupcakes, so I had a little extra tonight and I'm not going to sweat about it!

Sleep: 6.5-7 hours

Exercise: None

Breakfast (8:15am): Breakfast casserole, 1/4 avocado, salsa

photo-24.JPG

Breakfast Comments: Last day of the breakfast casserole! (Although I have a small piece leftover that I'll eat tomorrow to officially finish it off) This has been super tasty and satisfying and SO easy. I'll be switching it up next week so I don't get bored, but this will definitely be making a regular appearance on my breakfast menu!

Lunch (12pm): Well Fed Moroccan Meatballs, steamed broccoli, macadamia nuts, mandarin orange.

photo-23.JPG

Lunch Comments: This recipe called for 2lbs of ground lamb, so you get quite a few meatballs-I think I have about 1 serving left. I got a bunch of fruit in my Irv & Shelly's delivery this week so I'll be trying my best to spread it out over the week.

Snack (1:30pm): Handful Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips

photo-25.JPG

Snack Comments: I think I've found my Paleo crack! These are awesome! These crispy chips with the mixture of sweet and salty is perfect. I've been trying to find new ideas for fats because avocados are getting a little old so I made a batch of these chips today. As soon as I tasted the results I made another batch! Seriously loving!

Dinner (7pm): Chicken breast coated in coconut and baked, topped with pineapple, cilantro salsa. Broccoli topped with Well Fed Creamy Italian.

photo-26.JPG

Dinner Comments: This meal kind of happened on accident but it ended up being pretty great. I had some frozen pineapple in the freezer that started it all. I made a quick salsa with cilantro, lime juice, red onion, and jalapeños. I coated the chicken breast with egg then dragged it through a bowl of coconut shreds to coat it. I fried it quickly on each side in coconut oil then baked it in the oven until it was cooked through. I made a fresh batch of dressing today and used a pomegranate balsamic vinegar-I think it's my favorite yet.

Sleep: 9 hours-love my work-at-home Fridays!

Exercise: None. I went to the chiropractor today for a regular adjustment, no injury or anything. I also got a massage and we spent the entire hour working on my hip flexors-not even really massaging, just working on trigger points. It helped, but my hip flexors are SO TIGHT! Going from a WOD at 8:30pm Wednesday that included snatches, KB swings, and lunges to sitting at my desk all day at work on Thursday really tightened things up. I plan on getting the foam roller, medicine ball, and lacrosse ball out tonight to really work on it some more-crazy Friday night, I know!

Breakfast (9am): 3 eggs scrambled with Practical Paleo pesto, topped with grape tomatoes. Steamed broccoli, raw carrots.

photo-27.JPG

Breakfast Comments: With the breakfast casserole gone it was time to change up my breakfasts. This pesto is made with olive oil and macadamia nuts and I scrambled the eggs in a little ghee so my fat is covered. Super tasty, the tomatoes were the perfect addition!

Lunch (2:30pm): Yesterday's coconut chicken and pineapple salsa leftovers. Red leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes, Well Fed Creamy Italian made with pomegranate balsamic vinegar. Small handful of Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips (not pictured).

photo-28.JPG

Lunch Comments: I had just got home from CF and started digging in before I snapped a pic! The coconut is obviously much better crispy straight out of the oven but once you throw on some pineapple salsa it doesn't really matter!

Dinner: Practical Paleo Spaghetti Squash Bolognese

photo.JPG

Dinner Comments: O-M-G...this is the best "spaghetti" sauce I've ever made, paleo or non-paleo! I was a little nervous when I was making it...the recipe calls for, among other things, carrots, celery, and coconut milk with tomato paste as the only tomato source...so I wasn't so sure. The recipe also calls for bacon, which I didn't use because I didn't have any W30 compliant bacon. It didn't matter, I wanted to just eat this sauce straight out of the bowl! I can't wait to make this for Mike, I'm pretty sure he's going to love it too!

Sleep: 9 hours

Exercise: We did an endurance workout today. Teams of 3 and 1 person did a 250m row while another person did as many burpees as possible until person 1 is finished rowing. The 3rd person is counting burpees and getting a rest. 15 minutes. It was tough, but I liked it. Back to stretching and using the foam roller tonight.

Breakfast (8:45am): 1 egg fried in ghee, 1 PaleOMG Sweet Potato and Apple Breakfast Patty, raw carrots, Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips.

photo-1.JPG

Breakfast Comments: I've been having a really great recipe weekend because these breakfast patties are the best breakfast patties I've EVER had! Seems like a theme, right?! Again I was nervous because the recipe called for a ton of spices and I thought it would be too much...but they ended up perfect! I didn't eat the kale chips pictured because I was pretty full (I had a lot more carrots than I expected).

Lunch (2pm): Last of the coconut crusted chicken, still a little pineapple salsa left. Red leaf lettuce, little less than 1/4 avocado, Well Fed Creamy Italian.

photo-2.JPG

Lunch Comments: The one thing that still surprises me every single day is how I don't feel like I need snacks anymore. I was a HUGE snacker/grazer and now my meals hold me over for 5+ hours most of the time. I love it!

Dinner (6:15pm): Practical Paleo Spaghetti Squash Bolognese

photo-3.JPG

Dinner Comments: Just as delicious as yesterday! I want more! When I eat this I seriously can't believe it's good for me.

Sleep: 9 hours

Exercise: 15 min "WOD" in my living room (15 squats, 15 push-ups, 20 abmat sit-ups) followed by a 45 minute dance session to a super awesome playlist I made this morning after watching Pitch Perfect. Yes, I am freely admitting all of these things because who doesn't love dancing around their living room with nobody watching from time to time?! (This is what happens when Mike is out of town for the weekend...)

I'm coming off a super productive weekend and feeling really good about it. I found some new recipes that I'm loving and ordered a few Paleo products/cooking utensils I've had my eye on: W30-compliant bacon from US Wellness Meats, Mee Nut Butter (a nut butter created by a CrossFitter in CA), and THIS super awesome vegetable spiralizer that I've wanted FOREVER and just never bought. Yes, I'm a huge nerd.

Breakfast (6:30am): 1 PaleOMG Sweet Potato and Apple Breakfast Patty, 1 egg fried in ghee, beets roasted in coconut oil.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: I'm so sad I only have 1 breakfast patty left! Definitely making more of these ASAP! Also...love me some roasted beets!

Lunch (11:30am): The last of my Practical Paleo Spaghetti Squash Bolognese; salad with grape tomatoes, 1 hard boiled egg, and Well Fed Creamy Italian; orange.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: I was so sad this was the last of the bolognese! I added in the egg for a little more protein since this wasn't a full portion of the bolognese.

Dinner: Wild salmon filet that I accidentally overcooked in the broiler, asparagus, small piece of sweet potato, Well Fed Caramelized Coconut chips.

photo-4.JPG

Dinner Comments: I guess I don't really have any comments about dinner...nothing very special about plain old salmon and asparagus.

Sleep: 6.5hrs....just couldn't fall asleep right away last night, too much running through my mind.

Exercise: 2nd to last day of our on-ramp and today I felt like I was suckier than on day 1. We did a 10 minute AMRAP of 10 hang power cleans and 10 barbell burpees. I did 3+4. I know it's because of my mobility issues and I've been icing and rolling and stretching like crazy but I just can't get over over the hump of tightness in my hips and lower back and I'm frustrated. I have a very strong feeling that a lot of it stems from my psoas and sitting all day at work so I've consulted the great google doctor and found some things to work on, starting tonight....no more sleeping on the stomach for me. Maybe I should just go back to working in the pharmacy and standing all day...

Breakfast (6:30am): PaleOMG Sweet Potato and Apple Breakfast Patty, 1 eggs scrambled in ghee and Practical Paleo pesto, grape tomatoes, beets roasted in coconut oil.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: The last of the breakfast patties :( I'll definitely be making more this weekend!

Lunch (11:15am): 4 oz. Applegate Farms turkey from deli counter on red leaf lettuce with Well Fed Mayo, spicy brown mustard, and grape tomatoes. Celery with Well Fed Creamy Italian dressing. Kiwi.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: Back to my turkey lettuce wraps, great lunch!

Dinner: Practical Paleo stuffed pepper, red leaf lettuce with grape tomatoes and Well Fed Creamy Italian, Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips.

photo-5.JPG

Dinner Comments: The pepper wasn't too deep so I couldn't fit a whole 4 oz. in the pepper, so I just ate it on the side. Another really good Practical Paleo recipe (but not better than the bolognese!)

Sleep: 6.5hrs-and I slept on my back almost the entire night!

Exercise: Stretching, lots of stretching. I tried to get up and walk around and stretch during the day at work. We'll see if it helps if I can keep it up. I also ordered some resistance bands today to work on strengthening my glutes.

Breakfast (6:30am): 3 eggs scrambled in ghee with Practical Paleo pesto, grape tomatoes, beets roasted in coconut oil.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: I didn't finish all the beets pictured because they tasted a little weird, like they got burnt in the microwave or something. I'm not sure, I still made it until 11:30a for lunch.

Lunch (11:30am): 4 oz. Applegate Farms turkey from deli counter on red leaf lettuce with Well Fed Mayo, spicy brown mustard, and grape tomatoes. Celery with Well Fed Creamy Italian dressing. Kiwi.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: Same as yesterday.

Snack (2:45pm): About 10 unsalted almonds, small handful of diced dried plums. I had the exact same thing for lunch yesterday but for some reason I got hungry today in between meals. Not sure what's up with that so I just had a small snack and it helped keep me satisfied until I got home for dinner.

Dinner (5:30pm): Practical Paleo stuffed pepper, broccoli, Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips.

photo-6.JPG

Dinner Comments: Leftovers, lovin' it.

Sleep: 7 hours

Exercise: Last day of our CrossFit onramp! I was nervous all day about repeating our very first workout. My body has not been cooperating with me over the last several days and I was seriously worried I would get a worse time...and that would be pretty embarrassing. Well, 3 weeks ago I did the WOD in 7:30 and today-6:24! I feel like I could've done even better but I was still happy that I improved. Now...onto the real deal. Main objective-learn how to engage my glutes and hamstrings for squats rather than my quads!

I have a confession to make. I knew this about a week ago, but Wednesday was my last official consecutive day of Whole 30. I basically did a Whole 24 1/2. Last night (Thursday) I had friends coming into town and along with them, Mike, and my mom we went out to eat and we went to see The Book of Mormon. At first I thought I would just stick with my W30, but then I found out we have a CF mixer on Saturday. Sure, I could've kept with it, it was only a few more days, but I really felt like I had gotten what I set out to achieve with the challenge and I wanted to celebrate being done with my on-ramp and seeing old friends-and making new ones!

I plan on eating W30 compliant as much as I possibly can, with my wedding coming up in June I need to keep it together! But, if something comes up every now and then and I eat a few non-compliant things, I'm not going to stress about it. I'm sure there will be many W30s in my future (maybe someday I'll make the whole 30 days ;) ). I gained insight into my eating habits and learned a ton. I learned how to correctly portion meals so I'm satisfied and don't have the need to snack throughout the day. I learned how crappy and bloated I felt before the W30 but I didn't really notice it because it was just normal to me. I felt energetic and for once in control of my eating and appetite. I found new recipes that I love and I got back to cooking a lot more. It was awesome and I'm glad I have this record to come back to. I plan on continuing to post my meals as much as possible, obviously not all will be W30 but keeping a log has been fun and I want to try and keep it going.

Breakfast (8:15am): 3 eggs scrambled with ghee and Practical Paleo pesto, broccoli.

photo.JPG

Breakfast Comments: Quite the green breakfast day today. I'm running low on food, guess I didn't prep quite enough last weekend, so I'm clearing out my fridge for the week.

Lunch (12pm): Whole Foods salad bar-Romaine, shredded chicken, a variety of veggies, walnuts, and Well Fed Creamy Italian. Blood orange and grapefruit La Croix.

photo.JPG

Lunch Comments: So I kind of ran short on food this week so today it was salad bar for me. This was a nice big filling salad w/ my fav-a blood orange-to finish it off!

Dinner (5:30pm): Dinner at Chicago q. My first non-W30 meal after 24 days. A champagne cocktail with blood orange juice and pomegranate. Sliced brisket was my main and I had a few bites of sides-bread & butter pickles, homemade potato chips, corn bread, a few bites of Mike's kobe ribs and mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts. Followed with a few bites of a couple desserts-carrot cake and homemade brittle covered espresso ice cream.

Sleep: 6.5 hrs

Exercise: None

Archived