Stephanie's Whole30

Stephanie Geving

DAY 46!!!!! Starting reintroduction!

Started the day with a loose BM

Breakfast was the usual followed by

Sharp Cheddar CHEESE

followed by an upset stomach then a wicked headache :( No more testing foods for a few days

Lunch was the last of the steak, onions and mushrooms with a sweet potato to hopefully help with the stomach. I feel yucky. Going to take a nap soon. Not really exhausted but don't want to feel crappy.

The plan for dinner is pork steak. probably the balsamic pork recipe and sweet potato maybe some collard greens if I remember to start them early enough. I need to restock my veggies.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finishing Day 46 - I felt HORRIBLE! My headache was so bad I thought I might throw up. I ended up taking tylenol before bed.

Dinner was balsamic pork steak with collard greens and sweet potato. My stomach felt ok except for the pain by the end of the day. I did have some apricots just before bed.

DAY 47 (Friday 3/15)

Woke up feeling ok. NO headache. Stomach ok. Very loose BM.

Breakfast was the usual followed by 1/4 cup milk to see what that would do. It didn't seem to do anything so right before lunch I had about 1/2 the amount of sharp cheddar I had yesterday.

Lunch was pate on celery.

Possibly a slight headache but nothing like yesterday but then the issues started! Rumbling stomach and well, the runs. At least 2 trips to the bathroom.

Dinner was leftovers.

Tummy rumblings and gas.

My knee started hurting. My joints haven't ached, creaked or cracked since I started!

Test complete for cheese/milk. Findings confirmed. My system doesn't want them.

Day 48 (Saturday)

Started my day expecting to be whole30 compliant to let my system settle down from the dairy. I was feeling ok.

Had my usual breakfast. My girls had some apple chips that I knew weren't compliant but I had some anyway. They didn't make me feel awful, but my stomach didn't like them. So why not try some corn chips? Why not add cheese to some corn chips and call it lunch followed by some leftover pork? Then in the afternoon why not some hot chocolate with the girls, with marshmallows? And why not a 2nd? Dinner? Who needs dinner? Oh, the kids are in bed, then by all means eat those 3 cookies that are in the freezer, AND the chocolate bunny you hid there. Oh, and don't forget to snack on some corn chips too.

Can we say Reintroduction FAIL??

Today, DAY 49 - Sunday

I was hoping I'd wake feeling so horrific that I would learn my lesson in spades. Alas, I did not feel physically awful. I was however, an emotional wreck. Beyond any doubt it is directly related to the sugar.

I was strong though for breakfast. Had my usual.

By lunch I was drained by the emotional wreckage of my morning and when the girls asked for fast food I let them get it then went to a different fast food joint to get my own lunch. I at least ate it slowly since it will be my last. I'm still working on the soda. Even knowing it was the wrong choice, it felt like the easier choice feeling as low as I did.

I already knew sugar affected my mood negatively. Now I know again. I sure hope this is the last time I need to learn this.

It's like my brain was quietly telling me "You can do this. You aren;t like everyone else. You won't be affected. You can have control." ALL LIES. Except that I'm not like everyone else. At least everyone with control and a firm grasp of moderation. I am not like them unfortunately.

I am disappointed in myself. I created my own nightmare all because of the bunny. Have I learned nothing from Bob and Larry?

So now I start another whole30. 30 YEARS!!! If I live that long.

The picture of myself enjoying my girls' b-day cake is still in my head though. I'm going to have to....throw it out would be the best choice.

Dinner was leftover pork and broccoli. Still nursing that soda though. yup, shaking my head at myself.

Lord, Please help me. Amen.

• 1 year later...

Since I last posted...

Last year, almost a year after my first Whole30, at the end of January 2014, DH and I started a Whole 30.  We lasted 21 day and I felt that he just went along for the ride, wasn't really in the spirit of a Whole30.  We did not do an AIP and, well, that was eye opening for me!  We ate eggs and peppers about every day.  I ended up noticing things that were not quite right with my system during those 21 days.  The most noticeable was that my ears felt "wet" and crackled whenever I swallowed.  I had a yearly check-up, mentioned it all to the dr who said that was probably an inflammatory response.  So my lesson from my 21 days of a regular Whole30 - I benefit from an autoimmune protocol.  The aches never fully left my body during the 21 days, my joints always were noisy...  Good to know.  

In the past year we're officially a gluten-free house as we know it negatively affects my mood and the mood of my oldest daughter.  As we found more gluten free products about food choices got less healthy and more SAD, just with GF products.  More pasta, less veggies... Hello fast food, just hold the bun...  Hello corn chips and soda...

:-(

Here we are in 2015.  My joints are noisy, my ears still seem wet and full at times, my system is slow, my mind struggles to find the right words, and I itch, A LOT... Time for a Whole30, full AIP and trying to convince DH that just eating GF isn't good enough.  It's what we eat as a whole, not just what ingredients the foods are made of.

-Stephanie

Whole30 - AIP 

This is the morning of Day 2.  24hrs done!  I messed up before I even had breakfast yesterday and licked jelly off my finger and at a granola crumb.  At least that reminded me that I need to be aware of those behaviors again and wear an apron every time I'm in the kitchen to wipe my hand off.  My girls aren't following the W30 for every meal so things will end up on my fingers, like peanut butter.  No taking a taste of cheese and I make lunch, etc.  It'll be fine though.

Dh is along for the ride again.  Maybe with a little more understanding but I'm not sure what his intention is for doing it other than to support me, which should be enough, but it's not.  It's a lot, and mostly I'd rather have him on board for the wrong reasons than not at all.

We January 10, 2015 we started our Whole30.  Mine with AIP, his not really.  The girls not at all, though they are GF.

Day 1 meals:

Breakfast was bulk pork sausage, shredded sweet potato and apple with cinnamon.

Lunch was chicken breast on baby greens with avocado.

I got hungry and had some turkey broth as a snack.

Dinner was hamburgers and oven baked sweet potato fries for me, white for him.  All was yummy and filling.  

I have some new recipes to try and while shopping for ingredients I decided to try kombucha.  I got a bottle of  GT's Synergy Enlightenment Kombucha, Cosmic Cranberry flavor.  It's weird.   It tastes like unsweetened cranberry juice or mild vinegar!  No doubt I'll get used to it though the first few sips were kind of like trying purple ketchup.  

Anyway...

This morning so far I feel fine.  My sleep wasn't the best but I did have soda on Friday.  I was very tired and went to bed early, but was woken up the night before which no doubt added to my tiredness.  I still itch so hopefully that goes away soon.  I guess it could just be winter but it's mainly my mid-section which is weird.  I've got meals planned for the day and kind of planned for the next few that will require prep to be done tomorrow.

Also, this time around i am exercising.  I've been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio for about 2 weeks now along with Coach Nicole's 28 day bootcamp videos from Sparkpeople.com.  I love them as they work my entire body, can be done quickly and dont' require me to leave my house!!  Better get on with todays then start my day.

-Stephanie

Day 2 (Sunday) Jan 12, 2015

breakfast: The usual - Ground Sausage, shredded sweet potato and apple

finished the kombucha

lunch: ground beef on greens with chopped avocado and too much olive oil

dinner:  not hungry.  did end up having broth around 7.

I didn't do official exercise but did walk the length of the lobby at church with each girl sitting on my foot!  I'm impressed with myself that I made it the entire distance :-)

I was tired and itchy at night.  A little less tired right before bed, but still went to bed around 9 knowing I wanted to get up at 5am to exercise.  I was feeling a little run down and my stomach wasn't 100%.

Either Saturday night or some time on Sunday I had a good BM.  Seemed much healthier.

Day 3 Monday

I was tired but I did get up about 10 after 5.  I slogged through 20 minutes on the elliptical and did my 10 minute video.  After that I was less tired and didn't seem grumpy, but my stomach still wasn't 100% all day.

Breakfast:  The usual

MidMorning: Turkey broth

Lunch: late - some steak

Dinner:  Tuna steak with avocado salsa and green beans.

My hunger was manageable all day.  By the afternoon I felt like I wanted to snack and have something sweet.  Partly because I didn't really eat a proper lunch.  I had some kombucha and got to preparing some meals.

My stomach still isn't 100%.  Tomorrow I'll be having a sweet potato which will help like my first time.  I seem to be getting grumpy, or short tempered.  Off to the movies with DH.  I think I'm going to sneak in an apple.

Day 4 (Tuesday)

I woke up very tired.  Awoke once overnight smelling something sweet.  Went back to sleep and had weird dreams.

Breakfast:  The usual

Mid-morning:  pork broth

Lunch:  Tuna on greens with sliced avocado, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Dinner:  AIP Meatloaf by AutoImmune Paleo followed by a sweet potato with ghee.

The meatloaf was a new recipe and was pretty good.  I had done the prep work on Monday.  It had some sweetness at times.  As usual, salt helped.  I'm not really adding salt to recipes for DH's sake.  He needs to have a low sodium diet.

I had a late meeting and had some kombucha.  Gingerberry.  It was pretty good.

Tired stayed all day.  Stomach still not 100%

Day 5 (Wednesday)

Woke up exhausted.  Seriously exhausted.  turned out my light at 11:20, didn't get home until 10:30.  Got up at 6:40 and just wanted to go back to bed but shoveled the small snow on the driveway.

I got a little less tired in the afternoon, but not really.  My stomach is still not 100%.  I've got sweet potatoes to help.  I still itch and this morning felt like my stomach was bloated with gas.

Breakfast:  the usual

mid-morning orange

Lunch:  Creamy sausage soup - YUMMY!!! recipe from meatified.com

afternoon kombucha

Dinner:  italian chicken recipe from meatified.com - pretty good.

Went to the grocery store and was tempted by too much but didn't give in to anything.  Felt the need to snack but haven't been.  

I get to go to bed early tonight!!

Day 6 (Thursday)

Well I did not go to bed as early as i was expecting to on day 5.  But I still felt more rested which was nice.  I woke up tired but not exhausted, having been woken up at least twice overnight by A1.

Breakfast:  Creamy sausage soup

Lunch:  Leftover tuna steak mashed with avocado.  A baked sweet potato with ghee.

Kombucha

Dinner:  leftover steak with some broccoli and ghee.

Broth for book club.

My stomach was finally feeling more normal, but starting to wonder if I'm constipated.  still itchy.....

Day 7 (Friday)

Woke up feeling less tired.  Awake overnight with A1 again though.

Breakfast:  the usual, bulk sausage, sp and apple.

BM!!  softer and healthier :-)  Yup, probably TMI

Lunch:  Leftover italian chicken

kombucha

Dinner:  venison roast cooked in the crockpot with side pork, apple and onion.  better than I was expecting it to be.  i need to eat a vegetable.  I'm still hungry and in the mood to snack.  I'm thinking of cooking up mushrooms and spinach.

-Didn't eat a veggie, had some shredded coconut then an orange.

Day 8 (Saturday)

Breakfast:  Sausage Sweet Potato apple

Lunch: Leftover Veni Roast with broccoli

Dinner:  Steak with broccoli and baked sweet potato.

I was tired and gassy.

Day 9 (Sunday)

Most likely I woke up tired.

Breakfast: Sausage Sweet Potato apple

Lunch: Leftover Veni roast and broccoli

Dinner: balsamic pork steak with roasted cauliflower

Gassy during the day.  Going to bed I was bloated so much that it hurt :-(

Day 10 (Monday) 

Breakfast:  Leftover meatloaf

Lunch:  Leftover chicken casserole

Dinner:  Leftover tuna steak mashed with avocado eaten with carrots

I was tired at night.  What little energy I eventually get does not last past dinner.

Day 11 (Tuesday)

Woke up tired.  No, i'm not going to be as early as 9pm, which would be a good time for me.

Breakfast:  Sausage Sweet Potato apple

Lunch: L/O pork steak and roasted cauliflower

Dinner: l/o pork steak with sautéed onions, mushrooms and spinach.  yum!

Tired in the evening still.

Day 12 (Wednesday)

woke up tired again. I'm tired of being tired.

small soft bm.  definitely not going often enough.  feeling less bloated though.

Breakfast:  l/o steak and sweet potato

Lunch:  l/o pork steak with carrots

Dinner:  Meatloaf muffins with potato frosting for Eric's b-day!

small bm during the day with some cramps

Stayed up too late.

Been feeling less itchy but still, no energy.

Day 13 (Thursday)

Woke up tired.

Breakfast: l/o pork steak and carrots

Lunch: 2 meatloaf muffins w/ 1 avocado

apple

Dinner:  ground pork over spaghetti squash with creamy cauliflower & parsnip sauce that was not as good as the first time!

In general, I am feeling better.  Definitely calmer on the inside.  The desire to snack pops up every day but I just check my stomach which is usually not needing food so I tell that snack reflex to take a hike!  Today I felt hungry but I did eat a smaller portion.  I think at most meals I have been eating larger portions of meat but i dont' want to be hungry!  This has been going pretty well and not feeling like a struggle because I am not hungry.  BUT, I do need to start eating a more proper portion.  I'm not itchy for the last day or two.  I know I'm still bloated, I'm always tired, and my system is still very sluggish.  I'm guessing my thyroid isn't doing what its supposed to just yet.

Archived