Finished Whole30- really disappointed

So I have just finished my first Whole30 and not only did I not lose weight, but I gained a pound. I know that it isn't all about the weight but this is so massively disheartening. To go through all that and feel really proud that I finished it, but to be worse off (Weight wise) than when I started. What did I do wrong? I have PCOS, take 1500mg Metformin a day, and been told that I need to lose weight to control my symptoms.

Diet wise I was usually eating 3 eggs and spinach in the morning cooked with a tablespoon of ghee.

Lunch was a sweet potato, smoked mackerel and vegetable crudettes, with some ghee and coconut flakes.

Dinner was riced cauliflower, cumin roasted carrots and meat.

I would have the odd handful of coconut flakes between lunch and dinner, and them maybe one after dinner too.

Exercise: 2 Body Combat cardio classes a week, 2 weight training sessions, 1 Pilates class, and lots of walking.

If anyone has any advice than that would be great.

I'm sorry you are feeling so disappointed. You shouldn't feel disappointed in YOURSELF though, because you just completed 30 days and stuck to something and not everybody is successful at doing that. I recently organized and ran a 30 day food challenge here in Switzerland and one of the ladies was very disappointed to have lost only 1 pound. We did, however, take before and after measurements and she had actually lost 11 cm I think. Maybe take a whole30 break for a few days, take some measurements and start again. PCOS is a tough one and probably makes weight loss more challenging....30 days just might not be enough time to see some hormonal shifts.

Please don't give up completely...there are real benefits to be had and you will get there :wub:

Thank you Lisa! I won't give up at all...I have had some time to think about it and am feeling much more positive!

I did measure myself before and after and there was no change.

I blogged about it: http://munchingandmoving.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/whole30-round-up.html

I think what I will do is cut back on the fat. I think I was probably eating too much of it so I am going to see what happens in the next week! Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Today I am rewarding myself with a massage with my best friend, and a latte from Starbucks!

Great to hear Jennifer! Sounds like you have the right attitude for moving forward. Fat is a tricky one...you certainly need to get enough (of the healthy ones) but it is possible to overdo it (especially if you eat a lot of nuts like I tend to do!). I would say that your fat amount is safe if you follow the meal template.

Enjoy your massage and good luck in your journey :P

Jennifer, I am glad to hear you are feeling a bit better now!

Interesting that you were considering cutting back on your fats; I was thinking when I read your food that you weren't getting enough. This may have resulted in the occasional handful of coconut flakes.

I am certainly no expert, and am hoping a mod can chime in here.

Enjoy the reintroduction and the massage!

• Moderators

The amount of fat you report eating looks okay to me. As Lisa noted, the meal template is your friend. Your health will improve following the plan.

Weight loss involves more than food. Stress and sleep are almost as important, so if you are under too much stress or not sleeping well, losing weight is an uphill march. I did not begin to lose weight until I was sleeping better. How are you doing with stress and sleep?

I do hope that your report of meals is just a sample and that you enjoyed a variety of foods. Eating the same things would not stop you from losing weight, but your body needs variety.

I'd like to add in that the Whole30 meal planning template gives you a good amount of protein for building muscle, so if you're doing and weight training there's a chance you're adding muscle faster than you're losing fat, which could result in an increase in weight, but not in size. PCOS is indeed a complicated issue, and I would really encourage you to stick to the template like glue, minimize your exercise (keep one or two activities that you love) and do whatever you can to reduce stress in your life. Make focused efforts at relaxation, practice good sleep hygiene and be patient with yourself. It took you awhile to get here, it's going to take some time to get back.

Congratulations on sticking with it for 30 days - you should be incredibly proud of that.

Thank you for all the support!

Tom, I do find that I sleep very well but as I am in my final year of University, I do get stressed easily. That may hinder it! Going for a massage today was just what I needed and I feel much better.

Kb0426 and Lisa, I think that the amount of fat I have with meals is fine, probably 2 thumb sizes at each meal, but I definitely consume more than that throughout the day. I am a sucker for coconut! and occasionally nuts! If I cut out these extras and just focus on the meals then hopefully that will help!

Robin, when you say minimize exercise do you mean the high intensity things? I am struggling to get my head round minimizing exercise...it is such a good stress reliever and makes you feel so good!

• Moderators

I have a long history of enjoying exercise to the point of injury. Not just once or twice, but probably more than a dozen times over the years. You would think I would learn, but it doesn't seem so. I've run myself into back spasms. Lifted weights to the point of needing physical therapy repeatedly. Lifted kettlebells to the point of not being able to push anything over my head for a month. About 6 months ago, I decided to follow a set lifting program instead of allowing myself to make decisions. The program limited me to three workout sessions per week and the workouts, though intense, never lasted more than 10 minutes. Some sessions were only 5 minutes. So basically, I worked no more than 30 minutes per week. What happened? I got noticeably stronger over the 3 month program and my endurance increased! I was afraid that I would go backwards, but I made solid progress working out a lot less than I had been. You can't become an elite fitness competitor training like this, but you can get very healthy and strong.

• 1 month later...

How's your digestion? I believe the hormone balancing can't fully happen until the gut heals- which iswf says could take 6 months of no irritants- and there are some potential irritants in the above mentioned sample menu- namely eggs, nuts, coffee, raw veggies. Even though those foods are healthy for most people, they may not be for you, and since you didn't see the improvements you were hoping for I suggest eliminating them for a while to test it out. Couldn't hurt. After my first month on w30 I wasn't feeling as tip top as I expected and then started noticed subtle symptoms to eggs and certain vegetables and other things. I'm doing the IBS protocol now, and loving how I feel way more than I love my repetitive meals some days. But I do believe I can heal and that it's worth the time and trouble. Maybe a month or more on the AIP would turn things around for you.

Congratulations on completing 30 days like a boss and for coming here and sharing your experience.

Archived