Starting reintroduction on feb 1. Any tips?

TracyP

So in ISWF it sounds like you can have as much of the reintroduced item as you want? It almost sounds like a dairy load up the way she describes it... And adding sugar to the mix seems like a whole other item. So I am a bit confused on how much to add and what part sugar plays... Any tips?

• Moderators

No. You should never load up on anything you eat. If you are going to reintroduce dairy, you should eat a serving of dairy at two or three meals for a day or two to see how it goes. If you only eat one serving or just a few bites, you might not get a reaction. If you eat a huge portion of dairy, you might feel bad even if the dairy does not provoke big problems for you. The idea is to eat a few servings across a day or two to see how your body responds to reasonable portions.

You should reintroduce one new food at a time. If you reintroduce two things at a time, you can't tell which of the two might be a problem for you. This can be a problem with sugar because sugar is often packaged with dairy or grains. What you would need to do is reintroduce dairy without sugar. If that works okay, after several days you might eat some dairy with sugar added. By going in steps, you have a better chance of identifying where your issues might be.

Ok that makes more sense. Thank you Tom. So as an example... I could have milk in my coffee at breakfast. Maybe a piece of cheese at lunch and a cup of tea with milk at dinner but not ice cream or cheese cake... Do that for 3 days and see how I fare.... Then on the 4th day stop with the dairy items and move onto something with gluten? What if the dairy made me sick? Should I wait to recover from that before moving onto reintroduction 2?

Tracy, I think it's like this:

Day 1: Eat the reintroduced Item A three times. This is Item A Reintroduction Day.

Day 2: Eat item A a few more times if we want.

Day 3: Eat W30 compliant and keep our antennae up for any reaction to Item A.

Day 4: Ditto

Day 5: Ditto

Day 6: Eat reintroduced Item B three times; otherwise eat squeakyclean

[Question for Mod: do we keep eating Item A if there was no reaction?]

Day 7: Eat item B a few more times if we want

Day 8: Eat W30 compliant and keep our antennae up for any reaction to Item B.

Day 9: Ditto

Day 10: Ditto

Day 11: Eat reintroduced Item C three times, otherwise eat squeakyclean

The only thing I'm not 100% clear on is if we keep non-reactive reintroduced items in the mix. I can see that something might be OK on its own but might cause a reaction in combination with something else. But maybe that's not the case. Dunno.

Actually, you don't keep the harmless reintro just to keep it clear what is okay and what isn't. So....day one (and 2 if desired) intro dairy alone (as in not a cheesecake) 3 times in a day (or for 2 days). Then go back to W30 for two days. Then after the two days, intro one more item like gluten or non gluten grains but don't include the dairy. So on and so on. Is that as clear as mud? ;0)

Thank you, Susan! I am doing the reinto protocol for the first time even though it isn't my first Whole30, and the way some people were describing it was confusing me. I was pretty sure the goal was to still eat mostly Whole30 foods except for days 1, 4, 7, and 10 of the reinto phase, and to not continue to eat whatever we reintroduce on day 1 when we reintroduce something else on day 4. So that is what I'll do. Dairy on Day 1 (Day 31, if counting Whole30 days), Whole30 Days 2 and 3, maybe non-gluten grains Day 4, Whole 30 days 5 and 6, and so forth. Wow, if your explanation was clear as mud, mine was...what?

Got it, Susan and Emily.

As we reintroduce a food, we take three days of eating clean W30 and notice any reaction.

Then that food exits and we reintroduce the next food.

So the reintroduction period is still a W30 for the most part.

Is there any benefit to eating the reintroduced food for two days? Seems I would rather shorten the overall time by eating a reintroduced food only for one day, then having three days of eating clean before reintroducting the next food.

By only eating the reintroduced food during one day, I could reintroduce four foods during the first 15 days. If I eat each food over two days, then it takes me 20 days to get to the same point.

Now I wish I'd been referring to this as a 60-day protocol to my family and friends because they're thinking they won't have to be so strict with what they prepare for me after January. And that won't be the case....

Terez

Thanks!

Terez, I only did the reintro once because at this point (W30 # 4 or 5) I know what I don't get along with. I only did it for one day. I just added the two days since Tom mentioned that was an option. Also, no need to re-introduce something you never plan on eating. For me, that was legumes. I have no desire to eat them again, so I have never added them. If I ever decide to have beans, that will be my reintro of them. :) I also didn't reintro sugar because I know I have a sugar dragon and no need to experiment with that. If I have any sugar, it would be to have a fabulous very special dessert that someone went to great effort to make.

Emily, you got it! :)

Perhaps, then...the ISWF book should not have included "ice cream after dinner" as a sample way to re-introduce dairy? You see...I take the book as bible and I was already very excited about a small serving of ice cream on re-intro day 1! :)

I'm starting on Feb. 1st ... and getting a little nervous about this!

Michelle, if sugar is not a "no brakes, wake up the sugar dragon" for you, then feel free to have ice cream. It just wasn't an appropriate dairy for me and it seems it isn't for a lot of people, but it is within the rules set by Melissa and Dallas.

The things you find out doing this are interesting. For instance, I always thought I had a MASSIVE sugar demon. But, not eating sugar didn't bother me in the slightest during my W30. It's been the dairy... but it is likely that that is only because the hubs didn't give up dairy and it was in my face all the time.

Even alcohol and grains were not an issue. Things that I thought would be a huge problem.

By only eating the reintroduced food during one day, I could reintroduce four foods during the first 15 days. If I eat each food over two days, then it takes me 20 days to get to the same point.

The two days is actually important, because reaction to some foods build up, ie. someone might have a mild/unnoticable reaction to dairy after one meal or one day, but after two days they can really tell something is going on. I would say, if you have a noticable reaction day one, no reason to continue for a second day, but if you aren't sure if you are reacting, then give it another day to check that out.

• Moderators

The answers given to the several questions that were raised along the way were good ones. Thanks!

Real life raises issues I never thought about when we were editing It Starts With Food. If Dallas and Melissa decide to write a second edition, I will make sure reintroductions are explained more fully. Before today, I never thought about how sugar in a dairy product like ice cream could confuse a reintroduction, but it could. Oh well. We're learning!

Thanks so much everyone! This was a huge help. I feel much more prepared for the reintroduction now. I don't want to get super sick, so this whole thread gives me a lot more confidence heading into the transition phase.

Tom: I do hope they get a chance to update... Would be awesome for us newbies!!

A PDF on reintro would be great too :)

I think I'll actually have the most trouble explaining this to others who've all been wanting me to come out for dinner ;)

Haha yes...I had to break it to my husband that while I'll be done my 30 days on Thursday, and I'll be eating some cheese on Friday and Saturday, I won't be having any more dairy until at least another 2 weeks. He's so confused....

Ditto here. I'm so glad I didn't do a Whole60, an idea I played with at the start. Because this is basically a Whole60. Especially with the word "whole" because doing this Whole program is going to take 60 days.

I'm sure I'll be doing a W30 again, and I might refer to it among friends and family as a Whole 60 (or a Whole 30-30, for 30 days of elimination and 30 days of one-by-one food testing).

It's probably too late to change the terminology of "reintroduction" but I find that word is not accurate. I'm not reintroducing the foods in this next phase; rather, I'm about to test each one in order to determine which ones I will choose to reintroduce. The results of the test will guide me in how I will reintroduce them: as something I can eat every day; as a special occasion or special timing food (timing it for when I can deal with the reaction!); as something I will never choose to have; or as something I'll be "that person" about making sure I never again have it.

Well, it's a learning experience. Maybe there'll be a "read this" for first-timers, to explain what some of us wish we'd known when we started. ;)

I'm sure the program description is an evolving thing.

Terez

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the reintroduction period, and I'm not fearful of parties or going out to dinner (save for perhaps Valentine's Day, as I will still be in reintroduction... but husband and I can move that to another day!). In fact, the husband and I have planned a Groundhog Day party for the 2nd, and I am making/serving Whole 30 compliant foods, so I will not be tempted with anything except for what I'm allowing myself to have -- a bit of wine!

Good luck everyone!

Day 1: Eat the reintroduced Item A three times. This is Item A Reintroduction Day.

Day 2: Eat item A a few more times if we want.

This is purely anecdotal so take from it what you will :)

I took a way more relaxed version of reintroduction. I wanted some chocolate so I ate it and noted how I felt. I didn't want to eat it three times a day and then more the next day...I just wanted a piece. For me the reactions would have been totally different...had I eaten three servings plus more chocolate I would probably have felt sick and gross and thought I had a problem. Eating a normal portion one time with my dinner I totally enjoyed it and felt awesome.

A few days later I wanted some bread so I ate it and noted how I felt. If I had eaten bread three meals a day and more the next day I'd probably be sick of bread, but eating some in a normal amount at breakfast and dinner was fine.

I reintroduced one food at a time, but I did my time and did not feel the need to set up any more rules post whole 30.

Good luck!

Archived