I'm cheating, but it's working!!

So, I am told the whole point of this program is to change your relationship with food. I can honestly admit that I started this program in an effort to lose weight, because I don't have a problem with food. I may eat too much pasta, but I am not a junk food eater. Today is day 15. I am just now halfway through it. My husband and I have stuck to it 100%, but we have cheated by hopping on the scale. I wasn't going to, but when hubby did it first and notices 7 lbs gone, I figured I'd give it a go and I also lost 7 lbs (after week one). In our minds, that gave us that extra push we needed to make it through tough times. He weighed in again this saturday and was down another 4 lbs and I was done another 2 lbs. We were so over-the-moon excited, that it is just fueling our motivation to go on. Hubby has already suggested eating like this mon-fri after the whole30, then having a nice treat on the weekends. The only other change I have noticed besides weight is a little more energy througout the day, and I am chalking that up to eating breakfast every morning since I never used to. My sleep is still a bit broken up, but that's to be expected with an infant!

Congratulations! I agree --- that if weight loss is even one motivator for starting the Whole30, seeing those numbers on the scale go down can give you a boost when you're starting to drag a little!

We're on Day 16 now. My Husband weighed himself after 10 days and had lost 4 pounds. His "magic number" was 6 pounds at the end of 30 days (he doesn't have much to lose). This 30 days has been more of a struggle for him and I know that seeing the number go down 4 pounds in such a short time really got him fully on board with the remaining 20 days. For me, having someone who is really into it versus just going along with it is a huge difference and really helps me stay motivated to cook, find interested meals for us, etc.

I haven't stepped on the scale yet, but I sure am tempted. I noticed about a week in that I felt less bloated/puffy. I have about 50 pounds more to lose (have lost about 75 so far) and I know I'm not going to be down some crazy amount at the end like 15+, but even having my pants a little less snug straight out of the dryer was so nice. Plus, all of the other benefits I'm seeing (sleeping better, waking up energized, less bickering around the house) are enough to keep me from "cheating" and weighing in before my 30 days are done.

Keep up the good work!

lilangel4824 - congrats on your success so far! However, I caution you in your eagerness to step on the scale, even if you are seeing the number go down. Here's the real question - what will you do if the number doesn't go down? Or it goes up? There is a reason why you are told to break up with your scale while on this program - and even beyond. Weight does not measure health and that number can fluctuate wildly for many different reasons. I can see how it's motivating you at this point, but the scale is sneaky and manipulative and loves to mess with your head like you wouldn't believe. Give this program a true 100% effort - I know you have with your food - but you also have to give 100% with your mind.

lilangel4824 - congrats on your success so far! However, I caution you in your eagerness to step on the scale, even if you are seeing the number go down. Here's the real question - what will you do if the number doesn't go down? Or it goes up? There is a reason why you are told to break up with your scale while on this program - and even beyond. Weight does not measure health and that number can fluctuate wildly for many different reasons. I can see how it's motivating you at this point, but the scale is sneaky and manipulative and loves to mess with your head like you wouldn't believe. Give this program a true 100% effort - I know you have with your food - but you also have to give 100% with your mind.

I've got to agree. That's one of the main reasons I haven't stepped on the scale yet. I knew that a week in, if I stepped on the scale and there was a huge loss I would be elated. I also knew that if I stepped on the scale a week in and it was not what I had expected, I would have been disappointed and not given enough credit to the accomplishments I had made so far.

That being said, for people with a lot to lose (I was just shy of 300 pounds a year ago), I think that seeing lower numbers on the scale is actually a way of measuring health outside of the other parameters like blood work, increased workout performance, etc. I really believe that the number on the scale becomes less significant the less you weigh. It's virtually impossible for a 5'7 woman that weighs 290 to be healthy. At 190, the story is a little different and 5 pounds here or there may be less important than other gains like better sleep, happier mood, less stress, more regular BMs, etc. KWIM?

I don't feel as if the scale would determine my progress anyways. Hubby and I commited to his for 30 days, and regardless of what the scale says, I will stick with this for 30 days, even of the numbers shot up tomorrow. Yes, I have weight to lose, but I wanted to do this more for my hubby's health than my own. I'm a healthy person who's trying to shed some pregnancy pounds.

I, too, stayed totally compliant but did get on the scale. I really didn't lose much weight, but the proof is in the pudding - feeling better and blood work dropping drastically into good numbers is more than enough.

Archived