AIP? *gulp*

TrayS

I bet you could use a bit of mashed up cooked sweet pot as a binder.

I think that would work. I have used canned pureed butternut squash as a binder for meatloaf, as well as canned coconut milk (wo guar gum though)- that's for the wet stuff obvsly. For the breadcrumb replacement I use dehydrated finely chopped vegetables like spinach and carrots which I buy in bulk bags at Natural Grocer. I have not tried to make any fish cakes because I don't really know how it would come out, like are the patties going to just fall apart, or am I going to have to stand at the stove for 2 hours frying small batches? That's why I love meatloaf, dump, smash, plop, bake, eat. It makes me wonder if you could make a fishloaf in the same manner? But call it something besides fishloaf so people will actually taste it..

Lol.

I made salmon cakes without crumbs or flour of any sort. And they were good. (With eggs.) I also once attempted sweet pot pancakes and it was a total disaster.

Nadia wrote about baking fish cakes. Would be easier than pan frying, without binders, for sure.

Marci, has the AIP helped your psoriasis?

I am following it now and seeing improvement with my psoriasis, but it's slow going. Just wondering if you've had good results.

I wish I could say its been the magic bullet, but unfortunately thats not the case. Ive been strict AIP since October, and in that time my psoriasis actually got worse. Its frustrating, as before I adopted Paleo (let alone AIP), I only had it on my scalp and behind my ears. When I really made an effort to change my diet, more and more lesions started to appear.

But let me say that I think I did significant damage to my gut during the 28 years I was not Paleo. Ive had genetic testing done showing that Im extremely gluten intolerant, so my case may be more complicated. Also, I eat out from time to time, so Im sure I was exposed to hidden gluten, dairy, etc on more than one occasion. And a few months back I was served a dinner full of rice and night shades and later ate something that I mistakingly thought was GF but was not. It can take a LONG time for the gut to heal from an exposure like that (especially when one is as gluten sensitive as I), so Im sure thats not helping things.

Another factor hindering my progress is stress. Im a total type A and I worry non stop about my health and what the future holds, as well as fixating on everything that goes in to my mouth because I worry I will react to it. I think ones ability to cope with stress is a huge factor in their ability to heal.

Now, I will say that over the past month or so Im seeing some slight improvement. Lesions that Ive had for a while now have or are slowly clearing, so thats a good sign. But sometimes when one clears another will show up. Sigh.

The only things Ive added back to my diet is decaf coffee. Its the one thing I truly enjoy the taste of, and having to give it up was causing even more stress and resentment. So far Im doing ok with it.

I think the name of this game is just patience. Check out the Paleo Moms website and FB page if you havent already. She has a type of psoriasis and has helped me so much on my healing journey. Shes a great source of knowledge and support. Hope that helps! XO

Thank you so much for writing. I have read Paleo Mom and think she's one of the best resources out there.

I have never been tested for gluten, but I'm

pretty sure I also have significant gut damage. I'm also a worrier and have major anxiety issues.

My psoriasis is better after w30 and a week or so on AIP but i guess I need to stick with it further. Hmm.

Thanks again. Hope you continue healing. Here's to a healthy gut!

• 2 weeks later...

^^^You can also subscribe to threads. Just FYI in case that's helpful. I'm always on my phone where it's a matter of using a swipe gesture and choosing the star symbol, but I know you can also subscribe online

• 4 months later...

I have started a Whole30/AIP Oct. 1st. ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT MUSTARD SEEDS ARE OUT??? I have been using ground mustard on my foods all along!

Also, in the book (ISWF) they say that 90 days is a minimum time to eliminate eggs, etc. What has been peoples real life experience? Does 3 months give enough time before introduction? 

I guess I have to see for myself, since everyone is different.

I hope a Moderator will respond about the seed spices,cuz there are alot of them that I use instead of nightshades....

I never did a W30 before this year, but had been on a very strict diet (no gluten/grains, no vegetable oils, limited added sugar) so when I did the W30, I did the AIP. I have IBS/Chrohns, so I also had been avoiding FODMAPS and some other foods I can't tolerate like nightshades, so the AIP wasn't really that much of a stretch for me..

The biggest difference for me was giving up eggs, which had become my daily breakfast after I gave up grains. After 5 days, I noticed a startling reduction in joint pain, especially in my elbow, which had been really bothering me for a few months. When I did reintroduction of eggs, sure enough the pain intensified. So as of now, I am off eggs, although I will eat them now and then.

I think the AIP is worth it just to see if there is something that is causing a reaction that you would never know until you eliminated it.

I have started a Whole30/AIP Oct. 1st. ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT MUSTARD SEEDS ARE OUT??? I have been using ground mustard on my foods all along!

Also, in the book (ISWF) they say that 90 days is a minimum time to eliminate eggs, etc. What has been peoples real life experience? Does 3 months give enough time before introduction? 

I guess I have to see for myself, since everyone is different.

I hope a Moderator will respond about the seed spices,cuz there are alot of them that I use instead of nightshades....

Seeds, even ground, are not on the AIP list. It did bother me to give up nutmeg, one of my favorite spices, but I survived. I only did the 30 days with no eggs and then reintroduced, but as I wrote above, I am not really eating them any longer.

I have always thought I was a little sensitive to eggs, so only ate them occasionally. For AIP I gave them up completely for 90 days, then reintroduced. To my surprise I haven't noticed any problems with them at all! Was it something else all those years? Who knows? Anyway, I now eat them a bit more often, but still only once or twice a week.

Seeds, even ground, are not on the AIP list. It did bother me to give up nutmeg, one of my favorite spices, but I survived. I only did the 30 days with no eggs and then reintroduced, but as I wrote above, I am not really eating them any longer.

Well, this thing with the seeds is annoying...I know that seeds like sunflower, pumpkin and sesame are out. But now I have food with ground mustard seed on it, and I have to finish it!(Lots of food for the next week, and some soup in the freezer!!) Fortunately, everything else is okay, I think. Rats. :( I even used nutmeg last week....sigh. I know I will survive without it, but I feel like nothing is crystal clear, and there is always a curve ball to mess up even the best plans! 

Off to M2, but it has mustard seed....!

I am finding I dont miss eggs at all, since I was getting bored eating them everyday for M1. I only miss the binding quality in salmon patties, but mashed sweet potato works ok (not great). I dont mind doing this for a few months, but I am going on vacation at the end of Dec., and that's when the trouble begins. I guess I should plan ahead, but there is only so much you can do. Thanksgiving may be tricky, even at my Mom's house...I may have to decline eating out with the family just to make sure I keep clean.

Thanks for the responses.

Archived