IUD and severe cramps

MyWar

I've had my copper IUD for about a year, and every cycle my cramps are pretty bad. I'm on day 29 and I am experiencing some of the most painful cramps of my life. Does this have anything to do with food, or am I just going through a rough one?

I got the copper once because I refuse to ever do hormones again. They make me INSANE and fat and very very sad. I don't know what my other options are for non-hormonal birth control are. I'm married so condoms would be so, so dumb. Maybe I'll just pop out two kids very soon and then get the whole business down there removed.

I can't answer your question but I can empathize with you. I got my Paraguard on December 17th. The first month was horrendous -terrible cramps every day. I was so angry at how the doctors I spoke to prior downplayed the pain so dramatically. I started the Whole 30 yesterday which happened to coincide with the first day of my period and subsequently severe cramps. It was hard not to cheat.

Anyway, I hope that you feel better soon. Looking forward to any other responses in this thread.

Ugh...unfortunately me and the paraguard didn't work out long term...but I definitely know what you're talking about.

Copper IUD folks get heavier bleeding just on their own, so there's that...but if you've had it a year, I'm sure you're already used to that. In my experience, since going paleo, my periods have gotten heavier, but shorter. Combine the two, and the first couple of days are NOT fun.

There ARE other non-hormonal choices out there, they're just not as "easy" as the IUD. I've resorted to going back in time to the late 80s and using sponges...but diaphragms and cervical caps are also options.

WAY less ideal than an IUD, but it is what it is. :)

Whew it's nice to know I'm not the only one. The bleeding is incredibly heavy for the first two days, I fill up a super plus tampon in two hours. But then my period lingers for like 2 weeks. I'm due for my annual soon anyway, I'll have to ask my Dr. Thanks for the replies!

You are not alone. I'm a copper IUD user as well (but have had mind for for longer - 7.5 years) and am also on day 29. I'm used the heavier bleeding, but the cramps are definitely worse during the W30. The good news is that my usual sugar/chocolate cravings are no where to be found, so that's good news.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my paragard for about 3 years. I tend to have severe cramps for about 3 days, really heavy bleeding for 2 days, and about 8 days of total bleeding. I've been paleo off and on, and I do believe that when I stick with it, my cramps are better and my periods are shorter. Best wishes to you all, I wish there were better options!!

Archived