Misheard order may have ruined everything on day 28... :(

Went to a coffee shop this morning, and ordered what I've been ordering there for 2 weeks: a brewed chai tea with a shot of espresso. But I don't think they heard me correctly when I said no milk and the part about the espresso.

I knew it tasted different when I tried it--their chai is delicious, don't get me wrong, but the espresso was missing. And judging by the way my stomach is churning and hating me right now (when it hasn't in the past few times I've ordered this dairy-free dirty chai), I think they put milk in it this time. I'm on day 28 so to have this happen so close to the end is aggravating. I don't want to start back at the beginning. :(

On the other hand, it's nice to know that dairy doesn't sit well with my body. And the Whole30 has made me realize that.

Would you start over again? Can I know your thoughts on how to rebound from this? My stomach is really bothering me, and it's distracting me from work.

---

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I did accidentally undercook my eggs this morning... but I feel like if that were the culprit, my stomach would have started hurting a while ago. How can you tell the difference between what's causing this? Gah... this is frustrating.

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question...but did you look at what you were drinking? was it light as though milk were added? I'm a chai drinker, and I feel like I would know if there were milk in it just by looking at it...If it was clear that there was milk added, then officially, you should start over and give yourself 30 days...

If everything looked the same (aside from the espresso), and you don't know for a fact that there was milk...i wouldn't think about a restart. You're 2 days away.

I'd definitely be tempted to write it off as "I've been dairy-ed" and just consider this early reintroduction....so follow the reintroduction guidelines. Congrats, you picked dairy! So eat squeaky clean for another couple of days, get back to your "normal," and then reintroduce something else. When you're done with the other guys, go back to an intentional dairy choice to confirm your reaction.

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question...but did you look at what you were drinking? was it light as though milk were added? I'm a chai drinker, and I feel like I would know if there were milk in it just by looking at it...If it was clear that there was milk added, then officially, you should start over and give yourself 30 days...

No, I didn't look because they put the cap on before they gave it to me (girl on the go this morning). Not an obvious question since I usually don't think about looking at my drink, haha. There's a little left in the cup and it actually looks darker than usual (I looked a couple times ago since I was curious), so that probably means it was straight chai. And if it was straight chai, then this pain is probably from the undercooked eggs. Haha. The more water I drink, the more my stomach discomfort lessens, so that's probably a good sign.

Thanks for your input, Renee!

Archived