Freaking out about end of 1st Whole30

jayelle

I am LOVING how I feel - I'm on day 28, and I am enjoying what I'm eating. Amazing how veggies taste sweet when you re-sensitive yourself to natural sweetness.

Anyway, Thursday is my final day of the Whole30 (just in time for Super Bowl!), and other than a dirty martini that I will slowly savor on Friday night, I don't know what to eat! I'm making mostly Whole30 compliant foods for Super Bowl (guac, shrimp, chili, jicama sticks), but I find that I'm now somewhat phobic about eating non-compliant foods. Anyone else feeling this way? What's your plan for post-Whole30?

Thanks!

I'm sticking to the Whole30 eating as best I can. I am going to reintroduce slowly (first step Greek yogurt). I quit drinking about a year ago so alcohol is a mute point for me. The sad thing is that the main reason I want to reintroduce things (like the greek yogurt and basmati rice which will be next and then black beans probably) is for cost.

Your Super Bowl menu sounds great! I am doing a yoga workshop on the Super Bowl which I think makes me the biggest nerd on the entire planet.

I know what you mean! I know they say that the point of Whole30 isn't to continue it necessarily into another Whole30 or Whole100 or Whole## but to learn to live your life better. Personally I plan on getting some coconut milk ice cream (my 5 year old who understands I was doing a challenge this month has asked frequently when it is over so we can have some ice cream) and a bottle of wine. I'm basically going to keep eating this way, though. I love how I feel but I know it could be better. I agree about the veggies! I'm kind of scared of how sweet the ice cream will be. ;) I'm making Nom Nom Paleo's chili lime chicken wings for Superbowl and a mixed salad, though now you have mentioned guac and I might have to do that too. I got my husband (and my daughter, mostly) to agree to a 21 day sugar detox in March. We'll see how things are after that, I might plan for another Whole30 in May.

I'm scared as well. I've got 5 days left I think. On one hand, I don't want to intentionally make myself sick by eating foods my body may no longer tolerate, but on the other hand I can see the value in having the knowledge for future reference. Also I'm a little scared that some things WON'T affect me badly, you know? Maybe I'll talk myself into eating them again, even when I know they aren't the best, just because they don't make me sick! :unsure:

I am going to do my best to stay away from wheat/gluten, because I don't think there's a good reason for me to be eating that. I might just add back in my old supplements for the first week. Most have soy in them...not sure if there's even enough that I would have a reaction? I'm definitely going to test dairy, rice, and corn some time in February. And dark chocolate! Beyond that I don't know...but I do plan on staying mostly Paleo from now on. I just feel too good not to!

I agree with helen. I basically stick to the Whole30 when I make food for myself and only go off the rails for special occasions. A special occassion might be going out to a hole in the wall Mexican place with my boyfriend and having their handmade corn tortillas with my fajitas. Or it could be having my mom's homemade salted white chocolate chip cookie when I visit her.

I know that my body feels better when I stay compliant. I also know that I am happy when I indulge here and there. I forget where I read it, but someone on this forum posed their post Whole30 life like this: eating Whole30 is like putting money into your good food/good health bank. If you stay compliant enough, you put enough money in the bank that it's okay to withdraw once in a while by eating off-plan.

Best of luck!

I know what you mean! I know they say that the point of Whole30 isn't to continue it necessarily into another Whole30 or Whole100 or Whole## but to learn to live your life better. Personally I plan on getting some coconut milk ice cream (my 5 year old who understands I was doing a challenge this month has asked frequently when it is over so we can have some ice cream) and a bottle of wine. I'm basically going to keep eating this way, though. I love how I feel but I know it could be better. I agree about the veggies! I'm kind of scared of how sweet the ice cream will be. ;) I'm making Nom Nom Paleo's chili lime chicken wings for Superbowl and a mixed salad, though now you have mentioned guac and I might have to do that too. I got my husband (and my daughter, mostly) to agree to a 21 day sugar detox in March. We'll see how things are after that, I might plan for another Whole30 in May.

Do you have a link to the sugar detox or can you message me info about it? I'd love to read what you are planning to do!

I have been thinking about this too. My final day is the 31st but I fully plan to continue with this. I have spent too much time and money to flush it all down the toilet. For me I looked at this Whole 30 as another notch in my climb to better health so it's longterm for me. I am feeling great so I want that to continue. There will certainly be times when we make exceptions. I think what we all need to remember , for those times when we go off the rails, is that everything in moderation when we do make those exceptions. I plan to do another 30 days of the strict paleo and then think about reintroducing foods after that.

I kept going after my first Whole30. I just felt great about what I was doing and the results just kept getting better. The only thing I reintroduced after about 60 days is a glass of wine on the weekends. And although I say to myself "I'm not on a Whole30 and can eat what I want" I choose not to. There are some things I can never go back to like soy sauce - yuck! I find coconut aminos taste so much better!

I am LOVING how I feel - I'm on day 28, and I am enjoying what I'm eating. Amazing how veggies taste sweet when you re-sensitive yourself to natural sweetness.

Anyway, Thursday is my final day of the Whole30 (just in time for Super Bowl!), and other than a dirty martini that I will slowly savor on Friday night, I don't know what to eat! I'm making mostly Whole30 compliant foods for Super Bowl (guac, shrimp, chili, jicama sticks), but I find that I'm now somewhat phobic about eating non-compliant foods. Anyone else feeling this way? What's your plan for post-Whole30?

Thanks!

I agree--I am frightened to have dairy, although I love it (horribly addicted to cheese). I was going to have coffee and cream but I'm having a glass of wine on Friday instead and will try to stay compliant away from dairy and grain. If anything, I won't worry as much about small amounts of maple syrup/honey in bacon and sauces. I may try corn or rice, but maybe not until after February is over. Wheat is definitely a no-no.

I am on day 30 and planning on sticking to it most times as well. I will go off when it's out of my control such as dinner out or a party. I didn't eat dairy, gluten or grain much before so that really won't be an issue.

I did however buy a bottle of wine today just in case I may want a glass over the weekend. :)

Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts on this. I love what Taylor said about making deposits in the good food/good health bank - great way to think about it.

Truth is, all I want to add back on a regular basis is some heavy cream in my morning coffee. (Yes, I know drinking black coffee Is. Not. Hard. - I am a three time cancer survivor, so I know what is HARD.) Oh, and I look forward to adding gluten-free oatmeal back to my diet (good on a cold morning with some chopped apples, walnuts & cinnamon).

That being said, I will make my "bank" withdrawals judiciously. My boss, an Ironman triathlete, says "nothing tastes better than thin feels", but I think the real truth is that "nothing tastes better than feeling good feels".

I confess, I am frightened about finishing the Whole30. I do not believe I have lost any weight, which is disappointing because I really need to lose some. I must be one of the 5% that doesn't. But I feel really good otherwise, and my hubby is totally on board with eating Paleo permanently. He wants to add in a little dairy, I am allergic to casein so that's out for me anyway. I agree with jayelle though, I have been dreaming about oatmeal!! I think I'm going to take a few days off, take a couple of deep breaths, have a glass of wine, and get right back on next week. I really want more "magic" than I got this time... :)

We're going to experiment for the next couple weeks a bit with some of the foods we've eliminated, both of our birthdays fall in the first part of Feb. so we will definitely enjoy a little wine, but we both have quite a bit more weight to lose and love how we feel so we're going back onto the Whole 100 after my birthday. We'll pretty much be on plan except for the family birthday dinners and testing out cheese and wine. I really haven't missed cheese but I would be bummed if I couldn't eat it now and then long term.

Just wanted to throw in my experience from completing my first Whole30 and being in the middle of my current Whole45.

When I finished the first time I didn't do a formal reintro because I felt too good. 10 days after my Whole30 ended I had two glasses of organic, sulfite-free red wine and it was wonderful :)

I realized over the course of the Whole30 that I had issues with dairy and or/gluten because I no longer experienced IBS/digestive issues, so I wasn't excited about experiencing that again.... HUGE mistake though.

A couple weeks later I went to a friends' house who had made Fish and Corn Chowder for me and my boyfriend to try... I watched her making it and it included: butter, heavy cream, some flour, and corn... guess what? That went HORRIBLY for me the next day.

I advice everyone to do a formal reintroduction (doesn't have to be right after your Whole30 is over) BEFORE you go ahead and eat something with lots of non-compliant ingredients at a restaurant, friends' house, etc.

This time I will formally reintroduce organic, raw cheese and possibly yogurt to see what happens when I know I will be home for an entire weekend in case something horrible goes wrong like last time. :wacko:

Day 29 for me and I feel like A) this is just starting to work and B) I can't trust myself not to go off the rails yet, so, I am going to go at least to 45 days. I am 75-90 lbs over what I should/want to weigh, so I feel I need the structure. And the time for my insides to heal and acclimate more.

Thanks!

Yes!! Thursday is day 30 for me too, I'm going to try to stick with the eating and only re-introduce wine. My other craving is for sugar on occasion. I'm afraid if I have any, I'll be back on the Sugar train. Also a little nervous that the wine will loosen my will power. Very, very nervous!

Today is day 30 for me. I'm not sure what i'm going to do. I still have meals planned for tomorrow as though I am still on W30. I'm not really wanting to change too much of what I'm doing at this point. I will probably weigh myself tomorrow. ;)

I've thought about eating non-compliant foods tomorrow, but really there's nothing that I am really missing. The benefits of eating this way have been amazing and I don't want to go back to having the stomach pain I used to have. I have found some amazing recipes and am enjoying eating all the yummy foods I've been making. So I guess if there's something that's non-compliant that is way too good to pass up, I might indulge in it, but it definitely won't be on a regular basis and will have to be something extraordinary!

I'm on day 30 - well, technically yesterday was day 30 since it's 1 in the morning. I need to go to bed!

I have seriously enjoyed feeling the way I do this past month (except for this cold I've had for a week or so).

I really miss dairy - especially heavy cream in my coffee and cheese on my eggs. I'm planning to re-introduce it and see how things go. I consumed tons of dairy prior to the last 30 days. I always thought I handled it well, so we'll see.

Other than that, I have no plans for a big cheat or anything. Honestly, a nice restaurant (cheat) meal might taste good, but I'd hate to think of the consequences. And fast food burgers/fries - something I used to crave - doesn't even sound appetizing. Now, a pint of Ben and Jerry's does sound pretty good, and was about a weekly indulgence prior to the Whole30. It made me feel gross then - I'm thinking now the results would be even worse.

I confess, I am frightened about finishing the Whole30. I do not believe I have lost any weight, which is disappointing because I really need to lose some. I must be one of the 5% that doesn't. But I feel really good otherwise, and my hubby is totally on board with eating Paleo permanently. He wants to add in a little dairy, I am allergic to casein so that's out for me anyway. I agree with jayelle though, I have been dreaming about oatmeal!! I think I'm going to take a few days off, take a couple of deep breaths, have a glass of wine, and get right back on next week. I really want more "magic" than I got this time... :)

You might not have lost weight overall, but you might have gained some muscle. I've read a few blogs from people who lost maybe a pound, but went down 1-2 sizes in clothes.

Archived