Breakfast Smoothies

readmuch

I just finished reading ISWF and am starting Whole 30 next week. A typical breakfast for me is fruit/veg smoothie that usually contains:

1 apple

2 bananas

Lots of spinach (I really don't measure it)

Handful of berries (whatever is in season)

Water

I also rotate in broccoli and any other fruit that is on sale. I know two bananas looks like a lot but these smoothies are also split between two people. Can I keep having these on Whole 30? Is it too much fruit? I'm really strapped for time in the mornings and the thought of eating cold eggs cooked a few days ago makes me green. Please help!

Nope, sorry smoothies are not allowed during the Whole30. It is too much fruit, and your body reacts differently to drinking food to eating it. Rather than eggs every day or ones cooked a few days prior, what about leftovers from dinner the night before? Cook some extra meat that you could grab, along with some pre prepped veg? Rather than having the veg in your smoothie, eat it along side your leftovers. Don't look at Meal 1 as just breakfast.

Why do the eggs have to be cold? I make egg cups (basically eggs cooked in a muffin tin) filled with loads of goodies (prosciutto, spinach, onion, mushroom, sausage, etc.) and then keep them in the fridge cold for the work-week. Pop them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds depending on how many you're eating (I eat 2) and you've got a hot, delicious breakfast that works on a plate at home or on the go in the car.

Rough recipe is:

Grease muffin tins with ghee or coconut oil

Put meat of choice in the bottom of the tin

Put chopped veggies in the tin

(each tin shouldn't be more than 1/2 way full of stuff)

Whisk 10 eggs in a bowl and distribute evenly through the 12 muffin tins.

Salt and pepper on top.

Place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Pop them out, store them and enjoy hot (or cold) in the morning with a side of pre-made sweet potato hash and coconut milk. Yum!

Yeah, I think that's too much fruit, and there is no protein or fat to keep you from having your sugar spike and then fall. I too did not want eggs everyday, and I've actually started to have an aversion to them all together after trying to eat them for a couple days in a row. It took me a little bit, but now I just eat a regular meal for breakfast, instead of eating "breakfast-y" food. So yes, you basically have to look at it as Meal 1 if you're not into eggs. I really like to eat chicken, sweet potato with ghee and some broccoli and cauliflower for breakfast.

Why do the eggs have to be cold? I make egg cups (basically eggs cooked in a muffin tin) filled with loads of goodies (prosciutto, spinach, onion, mushroom, sausage, etc.) and then keep them in the fridge cold for the work-week. Pop them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds depending on how many you're eating (I eat 2) and you've got a hot, delicious breakfast that works on a plate at home or on the go in the car.

Rough recipe is:

Grease muffin tins with ghee or coconut oil

Put meat of choice in the bottom of the tin

Put chopped veggies in the tin

(each tin shouldn't be more than 1/2 way full of stuff)

Whisk 10 eggs in a bowl and distribute evenly through the 12 muffin tins.

Salt and pepper on top.

Place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Pop them out, store them and enjoy hot (or cold) in the morning with a side of pre-made sweet potato hash and coconut milk. Yum!

Do you cook the meat separately first before putting it in the tin?

• Moderators

Part of doing a Whole30 is making changes in how we approach our schedule as well as food. It is important to organize our time to eat a good breakfast. Eating a serving of protein, fat, and veggies at breakfast sets us up for success the way a smoothie can't. Smoothies digest quicker than whole foods, so you don't stay full as long from drinking smoothies. And a big dose of sugar first thing in the morning from a lot of fruit disturbs our hormones.

I had leftover rump roast with wilted turnip greens for breakfast this morning. I cooked the roast several days ago, but washed and cooked the greens today. I had lunch 4.5 hours even though I was not yet really hungry.

Do you cook the meat separately first before putting it in the tin?

If it's prosciutto, no cooking required. If it's sausage, yes --- I brought a batch over the weekend and then use it as needed to make my egg cups during the week. If you're lucky enough to find Whole30 compliant bacon and want to use that, I would put the bacon around the edge of the muffin tin (raw) like a little wrapper and then put the veggies and egg inside of the bacon.

This last round all 3 in the household were on board, so we rarely had leftovers! I am often strapped for time in the morning as well, (blackholes, I swear there are blackholes in my house!) I've found that eggs cook really well, and fast, in the microwave. Not ideal, but better than popping them in the pan and then forgetting and coming back to burnt eggs. Crack 3 into a glass bowl, larger than you'd usually use to scramble because they poof up, mix, top with a plate and heat. I do 2 min, stir, then usually another 2. Toss in compliant salsa or pre-cooked veggie and some meat and presto! Meal 1, with time to eat and enjoy it.

They cook almost as quickly in the pan too, since I don't use non-stick I go with higher temps. But...can't walk away, put together bag, et all like I can if they're in the microwave.

Archived